Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2017, 08:38 PM   #121
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ man that must be awful to live in vranbrook and have a cabin in whitefish.....
Old 05-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #122
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I would think if you are into some non-mainstream activities (I am thinking of that activity with an Asian sounding name that involves running up walls and jumping) you may have to drive to a larger city.
I have no idea what sport you are speaking of but it sounds fun.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #123
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ man that must be awful to live in vranbrook and have a cabin in whitefish.....
Might need to move that post to the Avocado/Millennial thread.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #124
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Have friends who moved to Cranbrook from here and they love it. They are big mountain bikers and skiers. They found they were always going to BC to do the things they love, so they moved there. Longer bike season, and way better skiing. They spend a month at a time at cat skiing. Plus it's closer to Whitefish, where they have a cabin. They're pretty outdoorsy, and they hated Calgary life. They have been retired since their mid 40's mind you. People I know around my age used Calgary for opportunity, but as soon as they can leave, they do. We will be the same.
Life is easy when you have a ton of money.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #125
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Stinking teachers.

Quote:
Old 05-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #126
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Life wasn't easy. Grew up in a trailer. Had a job since I was 13 for the town, then the local golf course. Moved to Edmonton to go to college. Worked at Safeway and the sherwood park golf course. Finally scored the IT job as a summer student while in college. Worked my butt off so when 2nd year started my manager asked if I could work part time to help with school, and help them out in evenings and weekends. I'd read my vmail (Vax mail for us old timers) and do my tasks. Moved to Calgary, slept on an air mattress and had no furniture. I had a little tv. Eventually got married had twins. Always volunteered for oncall because it paid extra time. I was on call one year 43 out of 52 weeks. That was my life for a long time. Worked hard. Worked extra. Moved up. It wasn't until I was in my 40's that things started coming together.
My wife who is way smarter than me, and works way harder than me moved up her corporate ladder and now we are very comfortable.
It's come at a price though that I won't get into.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #127
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Life wasn't easy. Grew up in a trailer. Had a job since I was 13 for the town, then the local golf course. Moved to Edmonton to go to college. Worked at Safeway and the sherwood park golf course. Finally scored the IT job as a summer student while in college. Worked my butt off so when 2nd year started my manager asked if I could work part time to help with school, and help them out in evenings and weekends. I'd read my vmail (Vax mail for us old timers) and do my tasks. Moved to Calgary, slept on an air mattress and had no furniture. I had a little tv. Eventually got married had twins. Always volunteered for oncall because it paid extra time. I was on call one year 43 out of 52 weeks. That was my life for a long time. Worked hard. Worked extra. Moved up. It wasn't until I was in my 40's that things started coming together.
My wife who is way smarter than me, and works way harder than me moved up her corporate ladder and now we are very comfortable.
It's come at a price though that I won't get into.
Anyone who cat skis for a month at a time (at least $1000+ a day), lives in Cranbrook, has a cabin in Whitefish, and retired in their mid-40's has a ton of money and isn't in the same position as a lot of people.

Not sure what you are going on about as you prefaced your other post with "have friends".
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #128
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hmm, think I'm getting threads mixed up. Regardless, I think the point I was trying to make, but failing, was that this couple, who could live anywhere in the world, chose Cranbrook, and they love it.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #129
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I have no idea what sport you are speaking of but it sounds fun.
Parkour is the sport/activity I was thinking of
Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 AM   #130
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I don't know about that. I have 4 acres just outside of the city (Edmonton). 25 minutes into work (26 km for squiggs) downtown, and under 15 minutes to any kind of shopping. I have a nice quiet property in a quiet little subdivision with access to city living. That seems to be everything you're looking for.
This solution costs $$$, though. A few acres plus house within 20 minutes of Calgary is $1M+. A few acres in the more rural small town setting is half that. Or less.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #131
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I love Sylvan, as do my wife and kids.

I think there is just as much to do in a small town as a city.

I will say the one thing I notice is education, while the schools are excellent, and my kids know their teachers/principals on a personal basis, there could be more offered.
I think the available activities might depend on the town. As someone else mentioned, they took dance for awhile in their small town, but then the dance teacher moved away and that was the end of that.

We actually looked into moving to Cranbrook for awhile - it's not even really that small - 25,000+ people I think? But in Calgary, whatever you and your kids might want to do is available. Music lessons in any instrument. Gymnastics, dance, soccer, hockey, Martial arts of any kind, swimming (multiple pools, all kinds of lessons, variety of swim clubs), diving, golfing, you can even do luge here (I had a friend that did skeleton growing up). I could go on. Parkour. Giant indoor trampoline warehouses (lol). Drama and art classes. Literally almost anything you could think of to do, you can do in a city with $1M+ people.

Cranbrook is awesome for many reasons but even the swimming lesson options are really restricted, for example.

It's not the critical deciding factor for most people, but it is just one aspect to consider.

Last edited by Peanut; 05-19-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #132
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I think the available activities might depend on the town. As someone else mentioned, they took dance for awhile in their small town, but then the dance teacher moved away and that was the end of that.

We actually looked into moving to Cranbrook for awhile - it's not even really that small - 25,000+ people I think? But in Calgary, whatever you and your kids might want to do is available. Music lessons in any instrument. Gymnastics, dance, soccer, hockey, Martial arts of any kind, swimming (multiple pools, all kinds of lessons, variety of swim clubs), diving, golfing, you can even do luge here (I had a friend that did skeleton growing up). I could go on. Parkour. Giant indoor trampoline warehouses (lol). Drama and art classes. Literally almost anything you could think of to do, you can do in a city with $1M+ people.

Cranbrook is awesome for many reasons but even the swimming lesson options are really restricted, for example.

It's not the critical deciding factor for most people, but it is just one aspect to consider.
Calgary is a pretty unique city, in that I think there is maybe only 1 other city in Canada that can offer Luge/Skeleton to the yutes of today.

One of the things that makes Sylvan so nice is within the town of 14,000 you can do:

Music lessons in any instrument
dance
soccer
hockey
Martial arts of any kind
swimming (the town has a swim club)
Drama and art classes
Lacrosse

In a 15 minute drive to Red Deer you can do a poop load of the other activities, Bounce 360 is a trampoline jumping around place.

There is a difference between rural and remote. Life in Sylvan is rural, but not remote. A place like Cranbrook is more remote.

Quote:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #133
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sylvan has a harp teacher? And you can do Brazilian jiu jitsu?

i imagine Sylvan has one indoor pool the same as Cranbrook does. There's just not a lot of options.

I'm not surprised you're arguing with me because that's your thing. I'm not knocking on Sylvan. I'm sure it's great. I'm just saying that a town of 14,000 people does not have the same multitude of options that a town of $1M+ does. Period.

Last edited by Peanut; 05-19-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #134
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those are two pretty specific requests.

Quote:
Sylvan has a harp teacher?
Wait does anywhere offer harp lessons?

They might at:

https://www.sylvanhouseofmusic.com/

Of course you could drive 15 mins to RDC, I think they might.

But again, Harp???

Quote:
And you can do jiu jitsu?
http://arashido.com/location/sylvan-lake

Who knew?

Quote:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #135
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hmm, think I'm getting threads mixed up. Regardless, I think the point I was trying to make, but failing, was that this couple, who could live anywhere in the world, chose Cranbrook, and they love it.
I'm glad your friends like Cranbrook but it isn't anything special. Best thing about it IMO is the close proximity to the US border.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #136
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not surprised you're arguing with me because that's your thing. I'm not knocking on Sylvan. I'm sure it's great. I'm just saying that a town of 14,000 people does not have the same multitude of options that a town of $1M+ does. Period.
It isn't my thing (nice shot, because you don't agree with me).

It is a rural v remote discussion.

Sylvan is a Rural town. Red Deer is 15-20 mins away and has near everything that you would expect a city of 100,000 to have. Airport, Costco, speed skating oval, ski hill.

Cranrbook is a remote town (well city). It is the biggest centre within what a 3-4 hour drive.

Quote:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #137
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

What is your point ucb? That we should all move to Sylvan Lake?

My point is that, for a person living in Calgary considering moving to a smaller town, there will be less options for activities. That's all. If you don't agree, cool. I think most probably would.

And yes. My kid is interested in harp and enjoys Ninjitsu with her Dad. I didn't even bring up that form of martial arts because it's so obscure.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #138
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It isn't my thing (nice shot, because you don't agree with me).

It is a rural v remote discussion.

Sylvan is a Rural town. Red Deer is 15-20 mins away and has near everything that you would expect a city of 100,000 to have. Airport, Costco, speed skating oval, ski hill.

Cranrbook is a remote town (well city). It is the biggest centre within what a 3-4 hour drive.
I guess you're having a rural vs remote discussion with yourself. I was making a comment about how we considered moving to Cranbrook and that small towns don't have the variety that large cities do.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #139
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What is your point ucb? That we should all move to Sylvan Lake?
#### no, that is the last thing I want.

Quote:
My point is that, for a person living in Calgary considering moving to a smaller town, there will be less options for activities. That's all. If you don't agree, cool. I think most probably would.
My point is that there is a difference between rural and remote.

You can move to any number of smaller rural areas but still be within 15-30 mins of a large area. Driving 30 mins for an activity isn't a big deal, often the travel within a city like Calgary for example is greater than 30 mins.

Remote, you have what the community offers and that is it.

Quote:
And yes. My kid is interested in harp and enjoys Ninjitsu with her Dad. I didn't even bring up that form of martial arts because it's so obscure.
I am happy your child enjoys common interests with their dad, it is important.

Have a good Friday Peanut.

Quote:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #140
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I grew up in a small town in the Okanagan, and while my childhood was pretty good, high school years were terrible and I couldn't wait to get out. Didn't have many friends and had no opportunities to meet new people I could get along with, ended up becoming very reclusive and spent all my time inside playing video games. Moved to Calgary after for school/work and it took many years after that to break out of the shell I had built up. Now I could never move back, and I don't want my kids growing up in such a limited environment

And one thing that hasn't really been mentioned much as a downside for small towns is the lack of diversity. Growing up the only non-white people in town were the Asian family that owned the token Chinese restaurant, the first time I saw a Black person was in the Kelowna Costco, and I had never tasted any kind of ethnic food until moving to Calgary. One of my favorite parts about living in Calgary is meeting people from all over the world and sharing experiences, you just don't get that from small town life
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote