Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2016, 06:24 PM   #1101
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Because we clearly had decades and centuries of people for whom it apparently wasn't common sense that you should also not be dicks to women, gays, and minorities.
The article and iniative doesn't cover any of those however. Outside of one example of saying to a female "hey, you are really strong for a girl." Compliment taken as a micro aggression. I would assume that in today's society misogyny, homophobia, and racism are not anywhere near acceptable by the overwhelming majority of the population. Do they exist? Sure but it ain't 1950 where you can give an African American a swift kick in the ass for going to the wrong fountain.

From the article...

"According to the display, even though microaggressions are “not the same thing as hate crimes or overt bigotry,” they still affect victims “physically, emotionally, [and] behaviorally,” placing them “more at risk for illness & decreased immune system.”

This is just a solution looking for a problem. If asking for example an Asian where they are from, presumably to find out what country or specifically their linage, and not have it taken as an insult then I can hardly wait till these people enter the workforce and big boy pants world. They ain't gonna make it. May as well stay in bed, it's scary outside.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #1102
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
The article and iniative doesn't cover any of those however. Outside of one example of saying to a female "hey, you are really strong for a girl." Compliment taken as a micro aggression. I would assume that in today's society misogyny, homophobia, and racism are not anywhere near acceptable by the overwhelming majority of the population. Do they exist? Sure but it ain't 1950 where you can give an African American a swift kick in the ass for going to the wrong fountain.

From the article...

"According to the display, even though microaggressions are “not the same thing as hate crimes or overt bigotry,” they still affect victims “physically, emotionally, [and] behaviorally,” placing them “more at risk for illness & decreased immune system.”

This is just a solution looking for a problem. If asking for example an Asian where they are from, presumably to find out what country or specifically their linage, and not have it taken as an insult then I can hardly wait till these people enter the workforce and big boy pants world. They ain't gonna make it. May as well stay in bed, it's scary outside.
You will now forever be the dude in this video to me:

driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #1103
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethead View Post
Actually the heavily pixelated M-14 rifle in your signature is macroaggressive. You are the real monster my friend. (sorry, calling you a monster is microaggressive. I take that back - I am truly a monster!)
*GASP* Did you just assume my 8-bit rifles firing capability?!? What if it's feeling like a M1A?!?

At least you didn't ask what part of monster-ville I come from. Thank you good person.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #1104
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
You will now forever be the dude in this video to me:

I guess I'll quit claiming my Viking and Scottish lineage and just go with European then.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #1105
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethead View Post
A couple of weeks ago I asked a Russian guy with a thick Russian accent where he was from and his response was (not surprisingly) "Russia". Would you consider this a 'microinvalidatation'? Cuz he sure didn't sound Canadian.
Why are we talking about Russians all of a sudden when you brought up Asians? Nice job moving the goalposts though.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #1106
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

These discussions are so bureaucratic.

After a warm introduction where full names are exchanged, it is not in bad taste to comment positively on someone's name, and if you are curious, say something like "what is the origin of that name?"

Don't bring ever bring race into any conversation. Only ask people where they are from, if they openly introduce themselves as being a visitor or a foreigner. Otherwise, why is this an issue?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #1107
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
These discussions are so bureaucratic.

After a warm introduction where full names are exchanged, it is not in bad taste to comment positively on someone's name, and if you are curious, say something like "what is the origin of that name?"

Don't bring ever bring race into any conversation. Only ask people where they are from, if they openly introduce themselves as being a visitor or a foreigner. Otherwise, why is this an issue?
Well that was kind of my point. I think there's also a difference between asking the origins of someone's name vs. being a complete clown and saying "Is that Chinese or something?"
Old 09-01-2016, 07:01 PM   #1108
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, I also get the other side saying why does everyone have to be so touchy.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:02 PM   #1109
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, I also get the other side saying why does everyone have to be so touchy.
Probably because they're sick of white people continually pushing what a proper North American should look like by through that line of questioning.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #1110
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does this really ever happen all that much? Most of the time, I think people are perceptive enough to ask because they know the other person is longing to make a familiar connection.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #1111
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does this really ever happen all that much? Most of the time, I think people are perceptive enough to ask because they know the other person is longing to make a familiar connection.
It happens enough, and sometimes it is pretty offensive to the person be asked. For instance I have a First Nations friend who is asked pretty frequently where in Asia she's from. There's such an obviously more tactful way to ask if it's something you're dying to know where a person is from:

"So are you originally from [insert current city]?"
Old 09-01-2016, 07:17 PM   #1112
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
It happens enough, and sometimes it is pretty offensive to the person be asked. For instance I have a First Nations friend who is asked pretty frequently where in Asia she's from. There's such an obviously more tactful way to ask if it's something you're dying to know where a person is from:

You can not really change people, mostly you can change how you deal with it. If you are perpetually offended, then maybe you need to change a bit and not worry so much about what other people say. Outside of the bubble of college it is much easier to change how you react to things, than to try and change what other people say.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #1113
Knut

Exp:

There is also much better ways for the offended party to approach the issue.

Instead of trying to create wholesale cultural shifts through University groups they can say something like "Oh, I am from so and so... by the way some people may have an issue with the way you asked that question. Try phrasing it like this". The majority of people probably do not even know that they were being insensitive. If the person persists in being a Dick.. then nothing will change them.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #1114
trumpethead
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Why are we talking about Russians all of a sudden when you brought up Asians? Nice job moving the goalposts though.
Technically a Korean is no more Asian than a Russian. And don't get all micro aggressive with me with your 'moving the goalposts' BS.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
trumpethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #1115
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I usually ask people that question. Even if it's obvious they aren't, like they have a thick Nigerian accent. Usually "were you raised here in Calgary", since I wasn't I can also agree and be like yeah, me neither this place is full of transplants.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #1116
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
It really, really does. Every Asian person or Hispanic person I know is sick to death of the question and frequently gets some kind of even-more offensive addition to it like "oh, you don't look like you're from Venezuela!"

Hell, I'm an expatriate living in Asia and I'm sick to death of the question. It's the first or second thing every person asks me here. It's a constant reminder that you're different, an outsider, and 'not normal'.

I know that people aren't trying to be mean or judgmental when they ask the question, so I don't get offended per se, but it's aggravating and annoying and is a sure-fire way to get me to disengage from what could have been an otherwise rewarding personal interaction.

It's the equivalent of saying to a coworker "looks like someone's got a case of the Mondays!"
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #1117
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I always thought it was polite to sincerely want to know about someone's heritage? Why is that a bad thing? Should we not be proud of who we are and where we came from?

I mean if you ask it like "derp what part of Asia you from bro, you all look the same to me" sure that's offensive.

If your just chatting with someone and it comes up, and you say "oh cool you're Asian? What country are you from?" How is that offensive? Kinda like Peter says, the golden rule applies. You can be genuinely interested in someone's background with any aggressive intent at all.

I've never talked with anyone or met anyone who began such conversation with the only barometer being "you should look like this to be here" being the underlying issue behind such a question. It's asinine.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #1118
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rarely does it happen, but I have to agree with 2Stonedbirds.

If I meet someone with an accent, I ask where theyre from because I am genuinely interest. If I think I recognize the accent I'll say something like, "So are you from Korea?" or "Are you Swedish?". Again because I am genuinely interested. I don't see anything wrong with that. If that's a problem for some people, how are we ever going to learn anything about each other? It's a pretty basic question. I get asked where I'm from too, especially being back in school. People are from all over. I've been asked that question on dates for christ's sake. "So, are you from here?"

If someone finds that type of context offensive, isn't it their prejudice or stereotype of what I may or may not think what's actually at play here?

I can see how it would be annoying, just like how the person who's way too happy at your office can be annoying. But that's all it is, an annoyance. It's not something you could describe as offensive, IMO.

Last edited by Coach; 09-01-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #1119
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love knowing where people are 'from' and having them tell me more about their homeland and culture because chances are I've never been there and am genuinely curious. All this time I've been an #######? I think not.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #1120
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Exactly, its interesting to learn about people and places. Seems like every other ad on the ol idiot box is about ancestry. I can totally see how its offensive question if its worded or framed a certain way. Dicks be dickin. But it can be an interesting conversation piece.

Its funny this came up, I was talking about ancestry with a coworker the other day and it turns out his bloodlines are from ol mother Russia. Would have never guessed, and after our chat I re-examined Russian history, and learned some pretty neato stuff. Its fun, I don't think everyone has malice intentions.