Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #4741
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I'd go for a commuter myself, but, the over riding decision should be, what kind of bike could you see yourself riding more.

If you are pulling a chariot more, I'd lean towards something a little more burley
Old 05-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #4742
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

@the_only_turek_fan took me out to Bragg Creek via Springbank this morning. Gorgeous ride and perfect weather. Awesome to see so many people out on their bikes.

I can see why the residents would get annoyed with the cyclists if they're not riding single file. It pretty narrow in sections.

Last edited by KTrain; 05-23-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #4743
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friday I did Canmore to Cascade Ponds on the Legacy with my dad, Saturday did the same, but added on the Minewanka suffer loop. Took Sunday off and went up Nose hill today. Great weekend of riding!
Old 05-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #4744
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I biked 22x to elbow falls then hiked up prairie mountain and biked home. Destroyed the Quads on the decent of prairie which made for a tough bike home.

It's a fun multi sport outing.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #4745
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who's going for it tomorrow? Rain, winds out of the NW 40 gusting 60 in the morning and then 60 gusting 80 in the afternoon.

I do believe I will attempt it.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #4746
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'll probably skip it. I've been riding a lot and should probably give the legs a rest. Crappy weather and those winds are a great excuse.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #4747
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Who's going for it tomorrow? Rain, winds out of the NW 40 gusting 60 in the morning and then 60 gusting 80 in the afternoon.

Still better than the bus. Count me in.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #4748
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't missed a ride in 2 + months to work. I'm in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #4749
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone bike with their kids on the cycle track? My husband and I took our little one out for the first time yesterday and it went well with him in the lead, our kid in the middle, me at the back. (She's still on training wheels) I am hoping that she can bike with me into her summer camp this summer, but I'm not sure how to bike with her alone. Do I still ride behind her? Beside her if possible? Any ideas?
Old 05-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #4750
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
Does anyone bike with their kids on the cycle track? My husband and I took our little one out for the first time yesterday and it went well with him in the lead, our kid in the middle, me at the back. (She's still on training wheels) I am hoping that she can bike with me into her summer camp this summer, but I'm not sure how to bike with her alone. Do I still ride behind her? Beside her if possible? Any ideas?
Behind or beside would work I think. I don't live anywhere near any of the tracks or I'd take my daughter. Might have to drive downtown and do it sometime.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #4751
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I solidified my reputation as the world's worst bike mechanic again this weekend. Changed the rear tire for my road bike. I'm the only one I know who almost always manages to kill at least one tube trying to get these damn things on.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #4752
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We ride the tracks with our 7 and 4yo quite often. If my wife is with us we put the kids in between. If it is just one of us I'll alternate between in front and behind depending on what is coming up. Making a left from 5th street to 8th avenue? I'll lead and make sure they follow nice and close behind. Let them lead while on long cruising sections.

Last edited by Bigtime; 05-23-2017 at 11:16 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #4753
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On roads or cycle track I try to anticipate where the collisions would come from and put myself in that spot. On the cycle track that would be people turning across it. So I'd follow behind and pass her before the intersections to block turning traffic. Since she is on a small bike I'd put a flag on her to increase her visibility.

The other option would be a trail a bike. They don't ride to badly when there is no one on the back or you could lock up the trail a bike at the camp. This would increase your speed a lot.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #4754
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
On roads or cycle track I try to anticipate where the collisions would come from and put myself in that spot. On the cycle track that would be people turning across it. So I'd follow behind and pass her before the intersections to block turning traffic. Since she is on a small bike I'd put a flag on her to increase her visibility.

The other option would be a trail a bike. They don't ride to badly when there is no one on the back or you could lock up the trail a bike at the camp. This would increase your speed a lot.
Thanks for the advice! I bought a trail-a-bike (trail-gator, as far as I know, it's similar) and when I opened up the instructions yesterday to install it, I discovered I can't have a back rack on the bike, and I use the back rack every day that I cycle. So it went back into the box and I'm contemplating other options. I like the flag idea, I'll look into that!
Old 05-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #4755
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I'll ride, but I have the shortest commute of anyone I'm sure. 1.9 km of quiet residential streets.

On the upside, the weather is never really bad enough to not ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #4756
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Is this the spot to ask for some bike advice? I have always been a mountain bike guy. It with a little one it feels like time to get a chariot setup to take him out for family rides. I would like something that I can pull him riding around the city but also allow me to commute and go for the occasional longer ride. I looked at hybrids mostly but the sales guy thought a pure road bike would work as well.
Thanks
I was in the exact same spot as you.

I ended up buying a Specialized Sirrus. It destroys my old mountain bike on the paths with the Chariot and kids in tow.
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #4757
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Cycling has quickly turned into an obsession for me so even though I should probably rest the legs tomorrow I will likely cycle in regardless. Who doesn't like a challenge, right?
Old 05-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #4758
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Now you're all making me feel guilty. I'm now a game-time decision.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #4759
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

get in there, Ktrain! The misery will be fun to talk about.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:55 PM   #4760
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good on you guys. I can bike in 32 degree heat, but when it comes to cold and wet...I'm a big sissy.
Closed Thread