Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 05-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #101
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Family is saying he wouldn't have suddenly decided to kill himself, however, no one can really know what went on.

Reports suggest he talked to his wife and was slurring his words and he told her he took 1 or 2 extra Ativan. She phoned security to get them to check in on Chris. Security had to break down the door and discovered Chris with a band around his neck (police released the portion about the band I believe). Ativan can cause sudden thoughts of suicide especially in an increased dose though I think it's less common than with other benzodiazepines.

Lots of speculation of course on this sad event.

Statement:

Quote:
“Chris’s death is a loss that escapes words and has created an emptiness in my heart that will never be filled. As everyone who knew him commented, Chris was a devoted father and husband. He was my best friend. His world revolved around his family first and of course, his music, second,” Vicky said (via E!). “He flew home for Mother’s Day to spend time with our family. He flew out mid-day Wednesday, the day of the show, after spending time with the children.”

“We discussed plans for a vacation over Memorial Day and other things we wanted to do. When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different. When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him. What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details. I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life. The outpouring of love and support from his fans, friends and family means so much more to us than anyone can know.”

Last edited by ernie; 05-19-2017 at 09:04 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #102
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

So sad.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...tement-w483179

Vicky Cornell, the wife of Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell, issued a statement Friday morning where she remembered her late husband, who died Thursday morning at the age of 52, and speculated whether his suicide was the result of taking too much of his anxiety medication.

Pasich added that side effects of Ativan include "paranoid or suicidal thoughts, slurred speech and impaired judgment"; Vicky Cornell noted her husband's slurred speech following the Detroit concert in her statement.

She added, "The outpouring of love and support from his fans, friends and family means so much more to us than anyone can know. Thank you for that, and for understanding how difficult this is for us."

Imagine having to go on stage every night and front a band, when you have crippling anxiety.

Andy Partridge (XTC) had to quit touring all together in the 80s, because of panic attacks.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #103
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59...b07617ae4cbaac

This article provides some insight for those who struggle to understand how a person can commit suicide
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #104
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Displaced Flames fan; 05-20-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Displaced Flames fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Displaced Flames fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #105
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59...b07617ae4cbaac

This article provides some insight for those who struggle to understand how a person can commit suicide

Very interesting article.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #106
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some fantastic tributes via live music on YouTube over the last few days. A couple really stand out to me.

Living Colour covering Blow Up The Outside World.

Josh Klinghoffer's cover of Seasons

Last edited by Displaced Flames fan; 05-21-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Displaced Flames fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Displaced Flames fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #107
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cornell's mother in law is absolutely going off on Eddie Vedder on twitter right now. Grab your popcorn.
https://twitter.com/ToniKaras
Old 05-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #108
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess there must be back story there that I'm just not privy to.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #109
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I cannot follow tweeter, no idea what is going on there. I assume Eddie Vedder didn't reach out to the mother in law?
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #110
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I cannot follow tweeter, no idea what is going on there. I assume Eddie Vedder didn't reach out to the mother in law?
Ya, I took a look and couldn't figure it out. Twitter is so hard to follow sometimes. Here, here is a bunch of STUFF!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #111
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like she's upset because Eddie Vedder won't be going to the funeral. He starts a tour the day after the funeral and the tour starts in Amsterdam. There is likely more to it than just that. She is also claiming that EV hasn't reached out to Cornell's kids to comfort them. That's what she is claiming. There is two sides to every story. I'm sure she is upset and emotional right now and this will all be water under the bridge given time.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #112
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found it odd that Vedder didn't appear once on the TOTD tour. Made me wonder if there was any sort of tension at the time. Seems like something was up.

This is definitely not a good look for this women though. Someone should probably reel her in.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #113
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
She hasn't actually mentioned Vedder by name. At first was just dropping hints that weren't hard to figure out. Now she's quoiting tweets from fans that name him.

Here's a synopsis.
- Chris is responsible for Ed's career, considered him his best friend. Why hasn't the family heard from him? No cards or flowers, nothing.
- You sing a song called daughter, yet you can't reach out to Chris' daughter.
- Ed's wife told Chris' oldest daughter they won't be at the funeral.
- Chris' kids are really hurt they haven't heard from Ed. He's turned his back on them for no reason.
- Don't speak Chris' name on stage like you do of the deceased Ramones. Behind the scenes you offered 0 support.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #114
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty unfair response from the MIL. Vedder might not know how to express anything just yet. My cousin hung himself a couple of years ago, I didn't attend the funeral because I had a lot of trouble dealing with what had happened.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #115
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a hard thing...people need to be left to have their emotions the way they are going to have them. That includes the MIL who is clearly hurting for her own family and appears to be lashing out.

I know from experience in times of pain the easiest thing to do and maybe even the correct thing to do sometimes is just wrap yourself up with work. Deal with it in little bits. Works for some. Doesn't for others. Others need to get angry and can lash out at everyone and everything.

Last edited by ernie; 05-24-2017 at 12:48 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #116
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I remember driving to my cousin's funeral after he committed suicide. The entire 4 hour drive I was almost laughing at how ridiculous it was for me to go out there when there was no way he could be dead. Was most likely a huge mistake and he'll be at home. The mind plays strange tricks on you, I would let people deal with loss in whatever way is best for them instead of giving someone ####.

As someone who's covered Soundgarden material and have worked years to unravel the intricacies of their riffs, I have to say he was a true master at songwriting and also happened to have a voice that any musician would kill for. He was simply brilliant and reached the creative pinnacle that every musician strives for. An amazing body of work, respect from everyone who knows music and financial success, very rare.

No way to figure this out, if anything it demonstrates how little we know about depression and reminds us how dangerous prescription drugs can be.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #117
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Pretty unfair response from the MIL. Vedder might not know how to express anything just yet. My cousin hung himself a couple of years ago, I didn't attend the funeral because I had a lot of trouble dealing with what had happened.
I have the same story Habby. My cousin, who was more like a brother, unexpectedly killed himself in 1995. I did not go to the funeral either. Certainly wasn't because I didn't want to comfort my aunt and other cousins. It was because I simply could not deal with what had happened.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #118
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelow View Post
I found it odd that Vedder didn't appear once on the TOTD tour. Made me wonder if there was any sort of tension at the time. Seems like something was up.

This is definitely not a good look for this women though. Someone should probably reel her in.
That's not a comfortable situation for EV. It's like his whole career happened because Andy Wood died. He likely didn't want to be present on the tour of a band that only existed to pay tribute to Andy. He likely didn't want to take away from that dynamic.

Yeah, he sang on Hunger Strike, but that was before Pearl Jam existed and of course they had no idea how huge it would become.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:45 PM   #119
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just came across this Head and the Heart tribute/cover of Hunger Strike from Austin City Limits this week.

It deserves a place with the Living Colour and Josh Klinghoffer tributes I posted above.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #120
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

http://www.boredpanda.com/chris-corn...solated-track/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post: