Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #41
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah this game screams for a much better inventory management system. And no weight limit either, in Fallout 3 I simply cheated to remove the weight limit.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #42
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah this game screams for a much better inventory management system. And no weight limit either, in Fallout 3 I simply cheated to remove the weight limit.
I never had a problem with the weight limit. Then again, I'm not one of those pack rats that has to pick up every empty bottle in order to sell it back at town.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #43
photon

Exp:

Heh, I'm a bit of a pack rat, though it's not usually about bottles, it's about the different weapons and armour, though crafting makes it difficult to, some of the components are heavy!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #44
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

tried a free copy, glad i didn't buy it cause i wasn't impressed at all. way too many bugs to make the game enjoyable, and i forgot how much i hated the slow movement and poor combat from Fallout 3. i also really dislike the Oblivion engine, and it hasn't exactly gotten prettier over the years
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:33 AM   #45
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
tried a free copy, glad i didn't buy it cause i wasn't impressed at all. way too many bugs to make the game enjoyable, and i forgot how much i hated the slow movement and poor combat from Fallout 3. i also really dislike the Oblivion engine, and it hasn't exactly gotten prettier over the years
That is my one gripe. They had two years to improve the graphics over FO3 to New Vegas and they are virtually the same. They are still better than Oblivion, but from Oblivion to FO:NV the difference isn't that big, and their release dates are 6 years apart.

Mass Effect on the other hand had good graphics when it was launched, then ME2 came out and blew it out of the water (same can be said for Gears of War 1 and 2).

I'm not a graphic's whore by any mean, just a little niggle.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #46
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just want some damn development on TES V!

I love oblivion so much, I need a new one!
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #47
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
That is my one gripe. They had two years to improve the graphics over FO3 to New Vegas and they are virtually the same. They are still better than Oblivion, but from Oblivion to FO:NV the difference isn't that big, and their release dates are 6 years apart.

Mass Effect on the other hand had good graphics when it was launched, then ME2 came out and blew it out of the water (same can be said for Gears of War 1 and 2).

I'm not a graphic's whore by any mean, just a little niggle.
Racist!!!
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #48
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good inventory management systems and games on PC+console just don't mix.

Bethesda has had issues with this every since Oblivion and neither Fallout 3 or New Vegas have done anything to improve it.

It's ridiculous how long it takes to sell the random clutter from your inventory simply because the inventory screen is so small and the text is way too big.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #49
photon

Exp:

Heh, that's the other reason I started cheating in Fallout 3, I got so tired of digging in my inventory to sell the crap to get the $$ I needed.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #50
photon

Exp:

Might be of some use:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...-npc-slowdown/
Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #51
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's some other good mods to use:
http://www.ripten.com/2010/10/24/fiv...out-new-vegas/

In particular, the one that changes the UI is a godsend. It doesn't completely fix the inventory problems, but having smaller text and a larger pip-boy screen makes it a lot easier to navigate the menus.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #52
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I had a chance to start a character recently. I was stoked about the hardcore mode, where ammo has weight, hunger, thirst, and sleep are factored, and you're only given a limit of 100 saves.

I've only recently stepped out of Goodsprings and into Primm, and I'm very critical of the sleep meter. After one full solar cycle, my sleep fatigue was only 60 / 1000. That is utter BS. Sleep deprivation symptoms start to set in after one full solar cycle.

Dehydration and hunger are pretty accurate though.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #53
photon

Exp:

I play games to avoid eating and sleeping and carrying heavy things, why would I want to manage it in a game?!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #54
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just an extra challenge, I suppose.

There was a certain part in Fallout 3 where I could mow down anyone and anything with minimal effort, even on the highest difficulty setting. It ceased to be challenging at that point. Until the release of Broken Steel that is, and the introduction of the super creeps. But that was a cheap act of 'balancing' the game by inexplicably creating an all-powerful enemy for no other reason than to make the player-character bleed and remind him/her that they are not immortal.

It's not for everyone, I get that, but I wanted to give it a try.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #55
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
I play games to avoid eating and sleeping and carrying heavy things, why would I want to manage it in a game?!
Well, for sleeping in particular, it's nice that a game lets me use skills I've mastered in real life to advance my character.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #56
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsOfFire View Post
Just an extra challenge, I suppose.

There was a certain part in Fallout 3 where I could mow down anyone and anything with minimal effort, even on the highest difficulty setting. It ceased to be challenging at that point. Until the release of Broken Steel that is, and the introduction of the super creeps. But that was a cheap act of 'balancing' the game by inexplicably creating an all-powerful enemy for no other reason than to make the player-character bleed and remind him/her that they are not immortal.

It's not for everyone, I get that, but I wanted to give it a try.
I really like it. I played Fallout 3 on the hardest difficulty and New Vegas is on hard. New Vegas is much more unpredictable when it comes to the difficulty of the fights. 3 was boring in that regard and you had to put so much lead into the enemies on the hardest setting that it got a bit grindy.

Now you can't simply stand in front of a minigun using stimpak after stimpak.

Balance and variety are better in New Vegas, in both the fights and the weapons. My character also can't take much damage, so the experience has been better that way too.

I don't use VATS and New Vegas is an improvement there as well. Iron sights is a fun feature when you get used to it.

The NPC framerate fix that photon linked to above works, by the way, but only if you disable your second monitor. At first I thought it didn't work for me because I didn't realize that.

Overall, the atmosphere is closer to Fallout 2, like you'd expect. The characters are more interesting than in 3. Fallout 3 was somehow depressing, like there was a grey cloud on everything and nothing really came alive, apart from maybe some of the urban environments in the capital city ruins.

I haven't been amazed by anything in the game, but once you get into it, New Vegas is both lighter and darker, livelier and more brutal than the previous game. Bethesda's writers are pretty boring, and while Obsidian is maybe trying too hard at least with some the companions, New Vegas is still much better.

When I first heard about the game, I thought that Las Vegas was a boring choice of location, but the story is more interesting than in Fallout 3.

Graphics are glitchier, though. Something's not right about how it renders long distances.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #57
photon

Exp:

The fix worked for me and I didn't have to disable my 2nd monitor either.

FINALLY I got the pack rat thing so I can carry more stuff, man I hate the weight limit.

And I finally found a sniper rifle! Haven't tried it out yet though.

And game is very buggy, but no surprise there. Had a crash last night that I wasn't able to even recover my system from, haven't had that in Windows 7 ever.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #58
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is this game story related to fallout3?

I still havent even gotten to 3dog or dog bone, or whatever his name is, and would like to finish it sometime unspoiled
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #59
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Is this game story related to fallout3?

I still havent even gotten to 3dog or dog bone, or whatever his name is, and would like to finish it sometime unspoiled
No, it's a new story.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #60
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just made it to the strip - loving the game a lot.

Been playing on the Xbox. Not the kind of game I want to spend 3-4 hours sitting in an office chair in front of a PC to play. Couch + big screen is a far better experience for me. Plus, haven't discovered a single bug yet (~10 hours of game play so far).

The overall look + atmosphere + gameplay enhancements make this a far superior game to Fallout 3. My only gripe is that I can't seem to find many armor piercing bullets and keep getting ambushed by Giant Radscorpians. Thankfully the sniper guy keeps bailing my wandering ass out.

BTW... this game is definitely not for children at all. While the violence is mostly comical (punching pops enemy heads off like champaign corks), a lot of the subject matter is rather disturbing. Thankfully they punctuated it with a lot of humor - so unlike Fallout 3, you won't be depressed most of the time you're playing.

Last edited by llama64; 10-28-2010 at 08:12 AM.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fallout , new vegas