Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2024, 11:55 AM   #11481
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I think it'd be more a breeding ground for future national broadcasters and yes, some of what you're saying.

But that's also like saying Junior teams in these places would never attract top coach's etc.. because anyone with ambition or talent would be in the big leagues. But there are only so many big league jobs and more people that are talented enough to have them than actual jobs exist.

It would happen like any job that has bigger opportunities in larger centres, some will go for the entry-level things looking to move up. Some of them will and some of them may decide to stay for a variety of reasons (family, actually end up liking it, etc..) and yeah you may have some cast-offs/hasbeens but who cares? Hasbeens can't read the news?

Also I like CBC Marketplace, I think they do great work.
No, no....I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that an organization that was strictly focused on local news that 'no one cares about' isnt going to attract top talent. Or potentially any talent at all.

Theres a difference between 'working your way up' and working for an organization that doesnt have to GAF about anything and chooses to cover what could only ambitiously be called 'news' because they know that the people always pick up the tab.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 12:04 PM   #11482
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
While opinions in both ends may be as extreme I don’t think the left is nearly as successful in getting the democrats to bend the knee as the right has been. Show me the equivalent of what the right is achieving in abortion - getting Roe v Wade overturned and red states getting super regressive on the matter. Over on the left I can’t think of a similar example - even on climate change it’s usually just kicking the can down the road.

I’m open to a different view on this though.
The right has absolutely been much more successful in poisoning the body with extremist views, in the states. The clearest example of that in Canada has been the UCP, but I'm not sure if they will get a true foothold here after a term of Smith abuse.

The ideological left having too much sway in Canada is pretty clear with the treatment of the oil and gas sector. In the states, the leftist dialogue was even more extreme than in Canada, but the policy in action was reality based. Both Obama and Biden heavily funded and supported the energy sector.

They saw it as following their leftist views, but taking full advantage of the window of time where fossil fuels were in demand, to in turn fuel the economy. Smart.

Trudeau set the timeline as immediate. I'd call that extremism.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:17 PM   #11483
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The right has absolutely been much more successful in poisoning the body with extremist views, in the states. The clearest example of that in Canada has been the UCP, but I'm not sure if they will get a true foothold here after a term of Smith abuse.

The ideological left having too much sway in Canada is pretty clear with the treatment of the oil and gas sector. In the states, the leftist dialogue was even more extreme than in Canada, but the policy in action was reality based. Both Obama and Biden heavily funded and supported the energy sector.

They saw it as following their leftist views, but taking full advantage of the window of time where fossil fuels were in demand, to in turn fuel the economy. Smart.

Well, this post could get you two years in jail or $500,000 in Canada.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 12:22 PM   #11484
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
No, no....I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that an organization that was strictly focused on local news that 'no one cares about' isnt going to attract top talent. Or potentially any talent at all.

Theres a difference between 'working your way up' and working for an organization that doesnt have to GAF about anything and chooses to cover what could only ambitiously be called 'news' because they know that the people always pick up the tab.
I think the "no one cares about" was to mean the people outside that place don't care about it. But the people in that centre do, but it's not getting covered now because those types of news have gone away for mostly national interest stories that are just not immediately applicable to their community, whereas the local school board meeting might be, despite it getting way less Youtube views or whatever.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:31 PM   #11485
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post

Also I like CBC Marketplace, I think they do great work.
Marketplace was a show that I watched regularly and I thought it was great, informative, educational/investigative programming but over the last three years it seems like the program has really slipped in terms of content and value. The few episodes I have watched over the last couple years seem very sensationalized and it feels like their is a lot of filler instead of useful content.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 02:05 PM   #11486
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
There isn't an argument being made against observable declining ratings and numbers. The argument is that the CBC still holds value as a public broadcaster, and that those statistics have less to do with any perceivable ideological bias and more to do political populism and modern methods of consuming media.

The CBC is a special interest channel in that it provides a variety of entertainment and informative programming under a Can-Con umbrella. It continues to accomplish its mandate, as has been demonstrated in this thread, so its entirely reasonable to advocate that it remain a publicly funded institution.

I'm sure numbers across the board are dropping, especially as it concerns special interest channels. The major networks typically have a broader appeal, deeper wells to draw from, and a more corporate approach to profit and slashing costs. They are eliminating more and more jobs while providing less and less original content outside of their cornerstone programming. The CBC has an obligation to public interest that privately-owned platforms don't, and there's value in them maintaining programming and pushing Canadian-centric content, artists, and news.
I agree, it has a mandate. But when the mandate it has been given, to provide Canadians with specific content doesn't actually result in Canadians watching that content, something needs to change.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 02:37 PM   #11487
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Really? Because it seems as though the trail of ambition is always to cover National or Global news, local news is just a stepping stone.

That seems patently untrue.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 03:18 PM   #11488
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

I agree that they seem very ideological when it comes to oil and gas. I’m in the industry, and I would say it’s been a mixed bag. The tanker ban that killed gateway was bad. Saving TMX was pretty good. Lack of support for lng, dumb and Biden seems to be copying it. To be clear thought production continues to grow, exports have never been higher and will only grow this year. All in all, they actually haven’t done much.

To be clear I think this is one of the worst governments of all time.

Last edited by Whynotnow; 03-23-2024 at 04:10 PM.
Whynotnow is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 10:41 AM   #11489
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Marketplace was a show that I watched regularly and I thought it was great, informative, educational/investigative programming but over the last three years it seems like the program has really slipped in terms of content and value. The few episodes I have watched over the last couple years seem very sensationalized and it feels like their is a lot of filler instead of useful content.
I attribute this for seeking an audience. Creating fear drives viewership. Instead just produce factual content and good investigation. Ratings should not be a concern.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 10:43 AM   #11490
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I agree, it has a mandate. But when the mandate it has been given, to provide Canadians with specific content doesn't actually result in Canadians watching that content, something needs to change.
No, if it was profitable to produce this content it would be being done by private broadcasters. Their niche should be providing content that wouldn’t otherwise be created.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 01:31 PM   #11491
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
No, if it was profitable to produce this content it would be being done by private broadcasters. Their niche should be providing content that wouldn’t otherwise be created.

Not only that… private broadcasters might not dig into issues due to not wanting to upset advertisers.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:15 AM   #11492
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blow Quebecois with some good criticism of PP

(Sorry for linking to TikTok - it’s a video of his press conference, answering questions from reporters)

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMMyNfpwF/
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:43 AM   #11493
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...ment-contracts

Canada’s auditor general recently fired and called in police to investigate two employees who had been privately earning money from government contracts they had not declared.

In a statement to National Post this week, the Office of the Auditor General (OAG) said it is still investigating a third employee that it also discovered had contracts with another arm of the federal government the employee had not disclosed to their employer.

She said both cases were also referred to the Ottawa Police Service in early February because government directives dictate that “security events that could potentially be related to criminal activity be referred to law enforcement.”

She noted that it is “essential” for public servants to disclose any secondary source of income to their managers so they can assess whether there is a conflict of interest, but that doesn’t always happen.

That’s when she first revealed that her office had recently discovered “incidents where disclosure did not happen” among its own employees.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:32 AM   #11494
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
HALIFAX — A senior Bank of Canada official says the need to improve productivity has reached an emergency level as the economy faces a future where inflation may be more of a threat than in the past few decades.

"You know those signs that say 'In an emergency, break the glass?' Well, it's time to break the glass," Bank of Canada senior deputy governor Carolyn Rogers said in a speech Tuesday.

Rogers said Canadian labour productivity eked out a small gain at the end of last year, but that came after six straight quarters where productivity fell.

She noted the U.S. has seen productivity gains coming out of the pandemic as firms found their footing, but Canada has not seen the same.

"In fact, the level of productivity in Canada’s business sector is more or less unchanged from where it was seven years ago," Rogers said.
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/im...125638450.html

Perhaps we should continue to bring in thousands and thousands of low wage workers to get wages deflated and screw Canadians out of jobs, and then at the same time act like we give a #### about productivity metrics.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:05 AM   #11495
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:

Perhaps we should continue to bring in thousands and thousands of low wage workers to get wages deflated and screw Canadians out of jobs, and then at the same time act like we give a #### about productivity metrics.
I mean yes, high immigration is one factor...but no where in this article does it mention anything about immigration? Am I going crazy??
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:10 AM   #11496
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
I mean yes, high immigration is one factor...but no where in this article does it mention anything about immigration? Am I going crazy??
Sure, but you have to admit it’s impressive that he hit on both racist-old-man-yelling-off-the-porch weirdo classics “immigrants are lazy” and “immigrants are taking our jerbs” in just one sentence.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 10:59 PM   #11497
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Sure, but you have to admit it’s impressive that he hit on both racist-old-man-yelling-off-the-porch weirdo classics “immigrants are lazy” and “immigrants are taking our jerbs” in just one sentence.
Not unexpected at all from that guy.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:05 AM   #11498
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How are Canadians getting screwed out of jobs?
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:02 AM   #11499
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
How are Canadians getting screwed out of jobs?
Sir....it is pronounced 'Jerbs.'

And I have no idea.

However, that does not negate the fact that massive immigration influx is still problematic on a number of levels.

Leaving 'Jerbs' aside, our Health Care system is teetering and we really dont have many places for these people to live.

I'm all for immigration, but not without some sort of sustainable plan.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 06:32 AM   #11500
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't say it's the same for everywhere, but here, immigrants and migrants do a lot of the work other people don't want to do. That says a lot about what this other work is willing to pay, and migrant worker abuse is much worse than people realize, but it's not reallly stealing your job if you're not willing to do it (and the reasons may be perfectly valid).
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote