Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2021, 08:34 PM   #201
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
You know the solution is so easy for this though. Just play the games when the times make sense locally. People who want to watch the games will watch them, and they adjust. There are millions of people who watch EPL games every week in North America despite the time zone. This is just such a non-factor.
I agree...games would just start whenever they make the most sense
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 08:58 PM   #202
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Then why don’t they do that already? You keep going in circles here. Why do Flames game start at 8pm?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 09:47 PM   #203
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Rogers absolutely would care about alienating the local audience...a 9pm start time would draw them fewer total viewers.
True, I should have put it another way. Rogers care only about maximizing viewership, and viewership would still be maximized by Flames and Oilers games being played beginning at 9 pm CST. They are not going to move the Flames/Oilers games to the early slot, because they would still get better overall viewership—even in Alberta—with a Leafs/Habs early game and Flames/Oilers in the late slot.

They would not be happy that Flames/Oilers games would be bumped to 9 pm local time, it will shed viewers because of how late it starts, but that's a sacrifice they'll make absolutely every single time rather than bump the Flames/Oilers game to the 6 pm CST slot instead.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:54 PM   #204
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You know the solution is so easy for this though. Just play the games when the times make sense locally. People who want to watch the games will watch them, and they adjust. There are millions of people who watch EPL games every week in North America despite the time zone. This is just such a non-factor.
I'll assume you're being deliberately obtuse about this because the alternative is a lot ruder.

Guess what times the EPL games start? On Saturdays there's an early game at 12:30 pm local time, then five games simultaneously at 3:00 pm, and a late game at 5:30 pm. On Sundays there are games at 2:00 pm, and a late game at 4:30.

Notice how there are no staggered starts that overlap...?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:15 AM   #205
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

In terms of the vote, from what I can find:
  • Calgary, St. Albert, Strathcona County, and Grande Prairie all had majority NO votes.
  • Lethbridge, Red Deer, Medicine Hat, and Stony Plain all had majority YES votes.

Lloydminster was a very strong YES vote, which makes sense because even though the Saskatchewan side of the city switches its clocks like Alberta, you don't have to go too far outside the city to find people who stay on Saskatchewan time year-round. However, because the Lloydminster municipal elections are conducted on the Saskatchewan schedule, this was not a normal election for city council, so people on the Alberta side would only have been voting for the provincial ballot. As a result, voter turnout was very low, with only a little over 2,100 people bothering to cast a ballot (about 20,000 people live on the Alberta side of Lloyd).

I couldn't find any numbers for Airdrie, Fort McMurray, or Edmonton. Realistically, they're the only places big enough to make a significant difference. If Edmonton voted similar to its surrounding communities, NO should win pretty handily.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:00 AM   #206
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I'll assume you're being deliberately obtuse about this because the alternative is a lot ruder.

Guess what times the EPL games start? On Saturdays there's an early game at 12:30 pm local time, then five games simultaneously at 3:00 pm, and a late game at 5:30 pm. On Sundays there are games at 2:00 pm, and a late game at 4:30.

Notice how there are no staggered starts that overlap...?
So drop the puck on Saturdays earlier in Calgary and Edmonton. How difficult is that to figure out?

And really, as if we need to pander to the NHL for this. It’s their business, and if they decide to try out 9pm puck drops, I guess that’s their problem.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:32 AM   #207
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So drop the puck on Saturdays earlier in Calgary and Edmonton. How difficult is that to figure out?

And really, as if we need to pander to the NHL for this. It’s their business, and if they decide to try out 9pm puck drops, I guess that’s their problem.
Um, what? I don't understand your last sentence. Of course they need to pander to the NHL. Rogers paid a crap ton of money for NHL rights, probably way more than they needed to. They'll definitely have ton of sway on when Canadian games start times should be. If they decide 9pm Calgary time is when they should start, Calgary will just have to comply.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:37 AM   #208
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Um, what? I don't understand your last sentence. Of course they need to pander to the NHL. Rogers paid a crap ton of money for NHL rights, probably way more than they needed to. They'll definitely have ton of sway on when Canadian games start times should be. If they decide 9pm Calgary time is when they should start, Calgary will just have to comply.
What I mean is that "we" as in the people in Alberta shouldn't base out decision on DST or not with the NHL start time as a major factor. Of course Rogers and the NHL care. They can deal with that. Honestly, if the decision is to play games at 9pm local time to cram in a doubleheader, that's their choice. There's no reason they couldn't play the game earlier in local time to make that fit their slots though.

And my point is regardless of how they decide to address it, the province shouldn't be basing a decision like this on how hockey games might be played. That should be pretty far down the list of considerations.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 10:56 AM   #209
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reason people are freaking about a 9pm start is exactly why they wouldn't do a 9pm start.

We always talk about how it's a gate-driven league...9pm start time would simply hurt the gate. Maybe we'd see 830 like some pacific teams do...if people watch less they will adjust.

It's not like the HNIC schedule is enshrined in the constitution (AFAIK at least).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 11:05 AM   #210
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

BTW this all assume Ontario wouldn't have changed to permanent DST, too. Which they've already passed legislation for (pending neihbouring jurisdictions). It's in process in NY state...it's only a matter of time.

Congress will likely make it happen in this term.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #211
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What I mean is that "we" as in the people in Alberta shouldn't base out decision on DST or not with the NHL start time as a major factor. Of course Rogers and the NHL care. They can deal with that. Honestly, if the decision is to play games at 9pm local time to cram in a doubleheader, that's their choice. There's no reason they couldn't play the game earlier in local time to make that fit their slots though.

And my point is regardless of how they decide to address it, the province shouldn't be basing a decision like this on how hockey games might be played. That should be pretty far down the list of considerations.
Why shouldn't I though if that's what I value? I hate being out of sync with the rest of the country half the year, and hockey starts is another annoyance on why I don't want to change to permanent dst if the rest of the country isn't doing so as well.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:01 PM   #212
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Why shouldn't I though if that's what I value? I hate being out of sync with the rest of the country half the year, and hockey starts is another annoyance on why I don't want to change to permanent dst if the rest of the country isn't doing so as well.
Knock yourself out. I don’t care how you made your decision to vote, I’m just giving my personal opinion.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:30 PM   #213
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
The reason people are freaking about a 9pm start is exactly why they wouldn't do a 9pm start.

We always talk about how it's a gate-driven league...9pm start time would simply hurt the gate. Maybe we'd see 830 like some pacific teams do...if people watch less they will adjust.

It's not like the HNIC schedule is enshrined in the constitution (AFAIK at least).

It's most likely that the Flames and Oilers would just plat a more Saturday games on the road.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #214
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Defeated, 50.1% to 49.9%.

https://twitter.com/AdamMacVicar/sta...44358840610816
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 11:18 AM   #215
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Thank goodness for that.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:18 AM   #216
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

F-cking PHEW. Way too close.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 11:22 AM   #217
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disappointing. People apparently care about their circadian rhythms, so we’ll switch the clocks twice a year and disrupt them enormously each time. Brilliant.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:25 AM   #218
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Disappointing. People apparently care about their circadian rhythms, so we’ll switch the clocks twice a year and disrupt them enormously each time. Brilliant.
Some people don't think it's that big a deal, and the benefit is worth it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 11:26 AM   #219
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disappointing it was so close. Should have been a landslide for no.

If you don't want to change the clock give us the good time, not the crap time.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #220
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy to hear it was defeated, very surprised it was that close.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote