Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #1001
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Oops I answered the wrong question. The guy I would avoid is Schneider. Could be a useful second pairing guy but that's the ceiling.
It does seem like Schneider is one that keeps popping up, as there just doesn't seem to be that much high upside with him. It would be a shame to draft another Chris Dingman.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #1002
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I agree. I'm a big fan of the Lapierre and Savoie picks. Could potentially end up with two dynamic forwards there. Does anybody know where Savoie plans to play next year?
Univ of Denver
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 10-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #1003
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Have I mentioned James Hardie in here yet? He's the guy I want the Flames to nab with their fourth-rounder. Huge scoring potential, love his game.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #1004
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
I like Lapierre as well, seems like he has high hockey IQ and elite playmaking. Its a bit concerning that he can't score and is afraid to shoot the puck. This can be fixed with good coaching im sure.
The vital question is what Jimi Hendrix song will be Lapierre's goal song?

- Purple Haze
- Little Wing
- Fire
- Voodoo Chile
?
Old 10-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #1005
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
The vital question is what Jimi Hendrix song will be Lapierre's goal song?

- Purple Haze
- Little Wing
- Fire
- Voodoo Chile
?
Fire, most definitely.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DomeFoam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #1006
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I would love that. The only concern with him is injuries, but I think that's a gamble you take when picking at 19.

EDIT: I honestly didn't just plagiarize home_sweet_dome's idea. It just so happens that we're both brilliant and I didn't see his or her post before making mine.
Aren't his injuries due to some spinal issues and not actual concussion issues as they thought? Seems like a bit of a risk but high reward.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #1007
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What are the knocks on Perreault? Seems like a low risk high reward guy from what I've seen
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #1008
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a big Braden Schneider guy. He's just so smooth and calm and good in both ends. He might not have Norris ceiling necessarily, but his floor is pretty high. He's a safe, smart pick. I would call him the Monahan of defensemen.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #1009
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
I am a big Braden Schneider guy. He's just so smooth and calm and good in both ends. He might not have Norris ceiling necessarily, but his floor is pretty high. He's a safe, smart pick. I would call him the Monahan of defensemen.
Yeah I agree.

Im not for picking a D at #19, but I wouldn’t be outraged at all if we picked him at #19.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #1010
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow I actually love that Pronman draft. Kuznetsov is also an interesting prospect.

I think Savoie has great upside too. Would be very happy if the draft went like that.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #1011
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Savoie is a local kid (St. Albert) with huge numbers in the AJHL and a lot of natural offensive gifts.
Question is if that will translate to the next level. Long-term project with large upside if he hits.
Not a bad way to spend a 4th.
I believe he's related to Matthew Savoie who's going to be a 1st rounder in a few years, kid is lightning quick.

Get his brother now then go for Matthew in 2022/23!
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #1012
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like Mavrik Bourque at 19. Elite goalscorer and elite vision, high capability of processing plays and creating from what he is given. 29-42-71 in 49 games this year on a bad Shawinigan team. I think he might be the steal, seems like such a smart player and definitely a safer pick than Lapierre with similar upsides.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DomeFoam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #1013
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Wow I actually love that Pronman draft. Kuznetsov is also an interesting prospect.

I think Savoie has great upside too. Would be very happy if the draft went like that.

No thanks to Yan Kuznetsov.

FC - Ranked 123
HockeyProspecting - D0-NHLe of 10
6'4", 209 Lbs.

Everything I've read about him has him as a stay at home defenceman. The offensive talent (lack thereof) doesn't intrigue me at all. Comparisons to Zybnek Michalek...no thanks. Not what I'd be aiming for in the 2nd round.

Hendrix Lapierre seems like a fine pick at 19 - it seems like a homerun swing that could hit.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #1014
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
No thanks to Yan Kuznetsov.

FC - Ranked 123
HockeyProspecting - D0-NHLe of 10
6'4", 209 Lbs.

Everything I've read about him has him as a stay at home defenceman. The offensive talent (lack thereof) doesn't intrigue me at all. Comparisons to Zybnek Michalek...no thanks. Not what I'd be aiming for in the 2nd round.

Hendrix Lapierre seems like a fine pick at 19 - it seems like a homerun swing that could hit.
I'm totally agreed that one should focus on upside - but if you can get 800 games out of a 2nd rounder (Michalek) you've hit a home run.
In my aggregate list Kuznetzov comes in at #47 with an average draft position of 59 - so certainly right in that range for the Flames.
Not saying they should pick him though - I don't know enough about him at all.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #1015
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I believe he's related to Matthew Savoie who's going to be a 1st rounder in a few years, kid is lightning quick.

Get his brother now then go for Matthew in 2022/23!
They are brothers. I saw them both play in St. Albert and they were head and shoulders above everyone else. Matthew played on the same team as Carter in spite of the age gap and still lit it up. Michael Benning has also played with them pretty much that entire time and is going to go in round 2 this year, another great potential target for us.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #1016
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really gun shy about Bourque and Lapierre. Something doesn't sit right with either player for me. I mean, Bourque is a RHS scoring forward, everything about says I should like him, but he just doesn't give me a good vibe when I'm couch scouting. Lapierre, wild card, 100 percent healthy he would be pushing another player down to the Flames and he would be top ten, but yeah, maybe just non generational QMJHL players aren't that awesome to me.

Any who, I think Dylan Peterson is a Flame in the 2nd round this year. Then Barron gets taken at 19. He screams Flames pick to me. Yup.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #1017
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm totally agreed that one should focus on upside - but if you can get 800 games out of a 2nd rounder (Michalek) you've hit a home run.
In my aggregate list Kuznetzov comes in at #47 with an average draft position of 59 - so certainly right in that range for the Flames.
Not saying they should pick him though - I don't know enough about him at all.
Out of curiosity did Michael Benning already come off the board before Pronman took Kuznetsov for us? I would vastly prefer Benning.

Kuznetsov is an unexciting prospect but I think his floor is pretty high. He skates well, controls the puck well, and is physical. I would compare him to Luke Schenn.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #1018
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm really gun shy about Bourque and Lapierre. Something doesn't sit right with either player for me. I mean, Bourque is a RHS scoring forward, everything about says I should like him, but he just doesn't give me a good vibe when I'm couch scouting. Lapierre, wild card, 100 percent healthy he would be pushing another player down to the Flames and he would be top ten, but yeah, maybe just non generational QMJHL players aren't that awesome to me.

Any who, I think Dylan Peterson is a Flame in the 2nd round this year. Then Barron gets taken at 19. He screams Flames pick to me. Yup.
For some reason I feel the same about Gunler as you do with Bourque. Nothing against Gunler, I just don’t think he pans out. If we pick him I’m all for eating crow.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #1019
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Out of curiosity did Michael Benning already come off the board before Pronman took Kuznetsov for us? I would vastly prefer Benning.

Kuznetsov is an unexciting prospect but I think his floor is pretty high. He skates well, controls the puck well, and is physical. I would compare him to Luke Schenn.
I don't have an athletic sub right now so haven't seen his full list.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #1020
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't have an athletic sub right now so haven't seen his full list.
I should just buy one, it's on sale right now still. Im a miser though

Tags
edmonton is no good