Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A simple question. Are you happy with the hiring of Burke?
YAY! 534 92.87%
NAY! 41 7.13%
Voters: 575. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #81
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see him as President, he will want to be GM and most effective in that role. Another thing is I truly believe Feaster was telling the truth when he said he did not want to be GM of a rebuild. I think King moves on to being in charge of other things, Feaster will become president, and Burke will be the GM of the Calgary Flames. I can't see it any other way.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #82
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I would be more concerend that Burke would mesh with Weisbrod. Even though its too soon to say that Weisbrod's drafting is great, i do like his new criteria that he has invoked.
Weisbrod loves Americans and Burke loves Americans they should get along fine.

Cam:

Anyway you can pat yourself on the back without screwing up the thread? Scrolling so you can post the image of a post from way back when quoting it would work just as well is a pain in the ass.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #83
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Hope this does not come to pass. Burke is such a dinosaur.

We`re entering into a new era with a new team and this would just be saddling us with the metaphorical old snaggletoothed dog.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #84
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Only the Ducks.
Which he then made much better by adding Beuchemin, Pronger, Niedermayer, Kunitz, Selanne. But outside of those bums he did fully inherit the team.

He also added the Sedins to Vancouver and Kesler but again just inherited talent didn't bring in any talent.

With TO he brought in the goalie, top defenseman and top scorer with a young prospect that looks impressive as well but again he just inherited talent.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #85
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Tanguay proved with the fact that francophone friendly Montreal didn't want him, Tampa didn't sign him until late in August, he couldn't score with VLc and St. Louis on his line, that he is useless without Iginla. His attitude, though better this time around, certainly wasn't the one that you'd want on a rebuilding type roster...and, he had another 3 years left on a $3.5m contract.
Tanguay was fine in Montreal until his injury. I think he was 2nd in points. His only real bad year was with Tampa after the injury. I don't think its right to say he can only get points with Iggy. I read that he will be on a line with Stastny and Landeskog. I am pretty sure he will get his points with them.

I won't argue that he needed to go, but one can not deny that Jones contract is just as bad if not worse.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #86
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm on the record saying that I think Feaster is a terrible GM.

Burke put Pronger and Neidermayer together on a championship team. And you can hate on the Kessel trade, but Kessel is the best player the Leafs have had since two lockouts ago. The team with the best player wins the trade, and so far Kessel is better than Seguin, and has every chance of being better than Hamilton.

What's Feaster's career-defining move? Losing the Brad Richards trade? Iginla-to-whoever-Iginla-chooses-for-whatever-they-want-to-give-up? The ROR offer sheet fiasco? Feaster himself says his best move was NOT acquiring Vokoun, which is pretty clearly ######ed, and crated a goalie void that Tampa still hasn't filled to this very day.

Draft coups? Burke drafted BOTH Sedin twins in one year, which built his franchise for the next decade.

Feaster's biggest draft coup is Blair Jones. Think about that. The ONLY full-time NHLer Feaster has ever drafted to date was when he picked Stamkos 1st overall.

Ill take Burke over Feaster 100 times out of 100.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #87
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Which he then made much better by adding Beuchemin, Pronger, Niedermayer, Kunitz, Selanne. But outside of those bums he did fully inherit the team.

He also added the Sedins to Vancouver and Kesler but again just inherited talent didn't bring in any talent.

With TO he brought in the goalie, top defenseman and top scorer with a young prospect that looks impressive as well but again he just inherited talent.
Not sure why you are trying to tell me what Burke has done? I have written many times the exact same things you have written. I have wanted Burke since he was let go in TO
Old 09-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #88
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As others have said can't see how it works with Feaster sticking around. With Burke and King running the hockey and business sides respectively no need for Feaster as a President.

With Burke as President no way he lets Feaster makes hockey moves on his own, especially with Feasters background, so again no need for Feaster.

I could maybe see Burke as President with Weisbrod listed as GM but really heavily reporting/relying on Burke but with Feaster it just doesn't make sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #89
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
We`re entering into a new era with a new team and this would just be saddling us with the metaphorical old snaggletoothed dog.
Is Jay "If Ken King wants to rebuild, he's going to have to find another guy to do it" Feaster the right guy?

Given his laundry list of questionable actions, transactions and lawyer speak after he smooth talked his way into the full time gig a few years ago, you really think the current option is going to work medium term, let alone long term?
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #90
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure why you are trying to tell me what Burke has done? I have written many times the exact same things you have written. I have wanted Burke since he was let go.
Just quoted your post as it was the most recent one addressing Burke's history certainly wasn't meant as a direct response to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #91
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tanguay was fine in Montreal until his injury. I think he was 2nd in points. His only real bad year was with Tampa after the injury. I don't think its right to say he can only get points with Iggy. I read that he will be on a line with Stastny and Landeskog. I am pretty sure he will get his points with them.

I won't argue that he needed to go, but one can not deny that Jones contract is just as bad if not worse.
Tanguay is a quitter. He quit on the Flames twice and he quit on TB too. If the Avalanche are competitive he will be alright but if that defence and goaltending suck as much as I believe it will he will be out there floating and not giving a crap by game 30.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #92
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

The Sedins are the only "shrewd" move on the list. I cancel that with the Kessel trade.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #93
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Hope this does not come to pass. Burke is such a dinosaur.

Such a dinosaur?

He won a Cup 6 years ago. His built a team that last year was in OT in Game 7 against the Stanley Cup Finalists.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #94
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Possibly...he has a year to justify it and hopefully turn it up, and if not and he's really that horrible, the Flames can use one of their two buyouts they have to use next year on him next year as the cap goes up.

That possibility of him potentially doing something positive this year is better than a sulking Tanguay still on this team.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #95
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
The Sedins are the only "shrewd" move on the list. I cancel that with the Kessel trade.
Sure the Kessel trade was not a win. But how often do you lose a trade and still end up with a young 40 goal scorer?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #96
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Adding the backbone of the Ducks Stanley Cup team isn't a shrewd move?

Getting a solid 2nd line player (who is a scumbag) at the 23 pick who has played top 9 GP in his draft year (which is stacked) and top 11 for points isn't shrewd?

Getting Phaneuf for pennies on the dollar isn't shrewd? Kadri is playing better than anyone drafted reasonably behind him, seems shrewd. JVR played well for TO, Lupul was a top guy for them, Gardiner looks promising. Kessel helped them more last year than Seguin likely would have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #97
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Possibly...he has a year to justify it and hopefully turn it up, and if not and he's really that horrible, the Flames can use one of their two buyouts they have to use next year on him next year as the cap goes up.

That possibility of him potentially doing something positive this year is better than a sulking Tanguay still on this team.
I 100% agree with the bolded part. He needed to go.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #98
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kessel has panned out pretty much exactly like Burke had hoped, so he was bang on in acquiring him. How was he supposed to know how bad the Leafs would fare the next two seasons and end up losing Seguin and Hamilton. I don't think the trade is as bad as some make it out to be honestly. There have been plenty of worse trades since then.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #99
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Such a dinosaur?

He won a Cup 6 years ago. His built a team that last year was in OT in Game 7 against the Stanley Cup Finalists.
I hope your not implying that being in OT in game 7 against the Cup Finalists means they would have won the cup if they won in OT. We all know hockey doesn't work like that.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #100
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe it won't make a difference for Jay's G. M. job, but aren't he and Burke buddies? Burke's had some guys of consequence work for him before: Nonis and Bob Murray. It may not be such a stretch for the two to coexist. It's not like Jay has an edgy personality that wouldn't mesh with Burke.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Rotten For This Useful Post: