Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A simple question. Are you happy with the hiring of Burke?
YAY! 534 92.87%
NAY! 41 7.13%
Voters: 575. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2013, 03:22 AM   #661
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
It could just be what they say it is. The Cup winning GM in 89 managed a 6M business.
$6M was the player payroll. The business was a lot bigger than that.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #662
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
It could just be what they say it is. The Cup winning GM in 89 managed a 6M business. Now it is managing a 100 M business, and the GM is expected to be several things including but not limited to the face of the franchise with respect to strategy and personnel moves, a negotiator, talent assessor, etc. As King mentioned, corporations have boards of directors so that the best decisions can be made including input from multiple experienced contributors. I am sure that with Burke on board, there is a strong additional voice, with a strong track record, to give a reality check to Feaster's management, and the input from the organization on which Jay relies, and am confident that there is no shortage of work for either.
Honestly, what would Burke do all day? He's not receiving phone calls about trades, agents or media. Does he just sit and think all day?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #663
EM11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Honestly, what would Burke do all day? He's not receiving phone calls about trades, agents or media. Does he just sit and think all day?
How I see Burke after reading your post.

EM11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EM11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #664
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe I read most of this thread, but haven't seen any posts talking about the 'Don Cherry Incident'.

He tried to get Don Cherry fired because Cherry criticized the Leafs. I am no Don Cherry supporter - Cherry makes great points at times, and just completely idiotic ones as well - but that was a very classless move by Burke to try and get him fired, and in my mind, speaks to Burke's character fairly well. Some people might disagree, but I just found that to be just a horrible way to conduct himself.

What I have really thought was going well for the Flames was the 'braintrust' committee. Sure, many here don't feel Feaster has much scouting ability, or much of a hockey mind, but he has Weisbrod (a real hockey guy - laughable comment above about him being a 'sports guy' but not a 'hockey guy'!) Goulet, Conroy, and other pro scouts. He has Button and a bunch of amateur scouts. They seem to have great dialogue and Feaster defers to them.

Burke has a bit of a reputation without a doubt. Will he be open to listening to what others have to say, or will his 'rough around the edges' mannerisms end up creating a bit of an unwillingness for some guys to 'fight for their guy' when the need arises? For instance, Harrisson was drafted because one of the scouts would not give up and kept fighting for him, and Todd Button relented and gave him the 5th to pick his guy (though I am sure a lot of it had to do with the trust Button had in said scout).

My biggest worry is that Burke will come in like a bull in a china shop and force his own logic and wants onto this team. His experience and hockey knowledge are a definite asset to the organization, and I actually agree with him in that he prefers teams that are big and tough too. His lack of patience is worrying me.

I was one of the few posters voting nay in this poll because of those reasons. There are definite tangible assets that Burke brings Calgary. However, there are also very real negatives as well. I would have loved Poile here. I would have been open-minded with Shanahan to see what he could do. Burke makes me apprehensive. I wonder who was #4 on that list.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #665
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Haha. That's what Presidents of major organizations do. Take calls and shoot the s#!t all day.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #666
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #667
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I believe I read most of this thread, but haven't seen any posts talking about the 'Don Cherry Incident'.

He tried to get Don Cherry fired because Cherry criticized the Leafs. I am no Don Cherry supporter - Cherry makes great points at times, and just completely idiotic ones as well - but that was a very classless move by Burke to try and get him fired, and in my mind, speaks to Burke's character fairly well. Some people might disagree, but I just found that to be just a horrible way to conduct himself.
While you're entitled to the concerns you have, as some of them are valid, the reason the above hasn't been mentioned is because it isn't true.
Cherry made it up.

Both Burke and the CBC denied Burke ever having mentioned anything like that, in fact, the situation went like this:
Meeting between CBC and NHL BoG. Things got heated because the NHL felt that the CBC was focussing too much on Toronto and being overly critical of Toronto while other Canadian teams were ignored (the NHL has a right to bring this forward, since they award the television contracts and have a say in the content of said broadcasts). As well, Burke specifically was upset that Cherry was personally attacking Wilson, and not talking about hockey during HNIC. In fact, Burke was quoted as saying "I don't want the guy fired" (in reference to Cherry, after stating changes should be made).

So, yeah. That's why it wasn't mentioned. And it speaks more to Cherry's character, as he wasn't even involved in the meeting where this supposedly took place, and did not hear Burke say anything of the sort.

It also speaks to Cherry's character that he trashed Wilson continuously and then the moment Burke fires him? Trashes Burke for firing him. Cherry is a loser.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #668
Yakbutter
Self-ban

Exp:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this comment, but it is relevant to Brian Burke and his hiring.

After listening to Ken King's last interview (on fan960 website for anyone who wants to listen) I have had enough of King. I used to have a reasonably high opinion of Ken King in the past but if you consider how the franchise has turned into a circus in the last couple of seasons he should be the person ultimately responsible for everything.

It's just the way the guy speaks in interviews. Considering how flames management have looked like bumbling idiots in recent times he speaks with such arrogance and certainty. Always acting like he has all the answers, he speaks like he belongs with other great hockey minds or something. When the fact of the matter is this franchise has taken a nose dive in recent times and he is the man at the wheel.

I would rather see Burke in King's job.
Yakbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yakbutter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #669
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakbutter View Post
I don't know if this is the right thread for this comment, but it is relevant to Brian Burke and his hiring.

After listening to Ken King's last interview (on fan960 website for anyone who wants to listen) I have had enough of King. I used to have a reasonably high opinion of Ken King in the past but if you consider how the franchise has turned into a circus in the last couple of seasons he should be the person ultimately responsible for everything.

It's just the way the guy speaks in interviews. Considering how flames management have looked like bumbling idiots in recent times he speaks with such arrogance and certainty. Always acting like he has all the answers, he speaks like he belongs with other great hockey minds or something. When the fact of the matter is this franchise has taken a nose dive in recent times and he is the man at the wheel.

Maybe King realized this and put Burke in his role? King now has no real day in day to day operations and Feaster now reports to Burke. King works on all boards representing all teams
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #670
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
While you're entitled to the concerns you have, as some of them are valid, the reason the above hasn't been mentioned is because it isn't true.
Cherry made it up.

Both Burke and the CBC denied Burke ever having mentioned anything like that, in fact, the situation went like this:
Meeting between CBC and NHL BoG. Things got heated because the NHL felt that the CBC was focussing too much on Toronto and being overly critical of Toronto while other Canadian teams were ignored (the NHL has a right to bring this forward, since they award the television contracts and have a say in the content of said broadcasts). As well, Burke specifically was upset that Cherry was personally attacking Wilson, and not talking about hockey during HNIC. In fact, Burke was quoted as saying "I don't want the guy fired" (in reference to Cherry, after stating changes should be made).

So, yeah. That's why it wasn't mentioned. And it speaks more to Cherry's character, as he wasn't even involved in the meeting where this supposedly took place, and did not hear Burke say anything of the sort.

It also speaks to Cherry's character that he trashed Wilson continuously and then the moment Burke fires him? Trashes Burke for firing him. Cherry is a loser.
I had no idea that this was not true. I didn't even see it here in CP.. maybe I stopped reading the thread after a while and missed the update. I guess I can remove a bit of concern there. However, didn't Burke try and get a reporter or two in Van fired during his tenure there? Something like that anyways. Not that I really care too much about reporters and their feelings these days whom are often caught writing opinion pieces as fact, and even twisting the truths to sensationalize their articles.

Thanks for enlightening me!
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #671
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think King made a smart move to appoint Burke president. King is a good buisnessman and it would be a shame to lose him but he has no credibility running the Flames on the hockey side of things. I actually gained respect for King by doing what he did, seems he realized he was in over his head and tried to fix things
Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #672
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakbutter View Post

You want Burke taking care of the Flames business matters and the new arena? That's King's bread and butter. Burke is a hockey guy, and has been appointed as such. You should be hearing a lot less from King on hockey matters now.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #673
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken King has a huge job ahead of him to oversee with the building of the Flames/Stamps/Calgary entertainment complex. I think this was the only logical decision he could make in order to ensure he could devote his energies towards that project effectively.

It also effectively saves his hide from the scrutiny and criticism of the Flames recent woes by bringing in someone new to shoulder the blame
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #674
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
You want Burke taking care of the Flames business matters and the new arena? That's King's bread and butter. Burke is a hockey guy, and has been appointed as such. You should be hearing a lot less from King on hockey matters now.

Yup. The owners realized how quickly the Flames reputation was sinking, and that Feaster needed, at best, a tighter leash...and that King wasn't the one qualified to handle that leash. Thus, a newly created position, offered to Shanahan first, then forced into a real hard sell to Burke when Shanahan passed on the offer. Clock is ticking on Feaster.

With now the cap space that the Flames have, and someone with proper experience and a man of action/more tuned in now holding the purse strings, my personal outlook on the state of the franchise has gotten a lot rosier. This year will still suck, but at least the plan for the years ahead is a lot more defined.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #675
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I had no idea that this was not true. I didn't even see it here in CP.. maybe I stopped reading the thread after a while and missed the update. I guess I can remove a bit of concern there. However, didn't Burke try and get a reporter or two in Van fired during his tenure there? Something like that anyways. Not that I really care too much about reporters and their feelings these days whom are often caught writing opinion pieces as fact, and even twisting the truths to sensationalize their articles.

Thanks for enlightening me!
Oh I'm sure he at very least has said to multiple reports something along the lines of "you don't deserve to have your job." I can't speak to whether he actually made steps to get a reporter fired, but who knows. The nice thing about Burke though, is he RARELY gets upset over criticism of himself. Whenever he's angry or bullish it's almost always in defence of a member of the organisation he works for, whether it be a coach or a player.

I think some people confuse his demeanour and style of conversation for anger or being more emotional than it is.

Even in the press conference announcing his new role, a reporter asked a question that had already been answered and Burke said something to the effect of "This is what happens when you get flustered and you forget to do your job and take notes, we've already been over that." Nobody mentioned it, because it wasnt a big deal, but that's just the way he talks all the time. When he's angry, people just pay more attention to his snark.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #676
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
Oh I'm sure he at very least has said to multiple reports something along the lines of "you don't deserve to have your job." I can't speak to whether he actually made steps to get a reporter fired, but who knows. The nice thing about Burke though, is he RARELY gets upset over criticism of himself. Whenever he's angry or bullish it's almost always in defence of a member of the organisation he works for, whether it be a coach or a player.
Agreed... BB fights hard for his people and what he believes in. BB comes across as abrassive but from at least my POV, he really goes to war for his job and I think thats crucial to be successful in the NHL.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #677
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have always wondered a little, why people talk so much about his personality. Who cares. I don't have to personally like him, I just want to like the team he works for.

Which has been a little too hard in the last couple of years.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #678
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would it comfort you to know that Burke is in King's position now?
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote