Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #21
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a weird thread. Some very confident opinions. Congrats to all CP experts in sentience and in AI. No congrats for the shaming of the guy based on his appearance though.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:59 PM   #22
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
best episode ever, of all of them
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:24 AM   #23
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
This is a weird thread. Some very confident opinions. Congrats to all CP experts in sentience and in AI.
Oh f--king please. This guy makes a PAYDAY bar look like a Dairy Milk.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:07 PM   #24
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Oh f--king please. This guy makes a PAYDAY bar look like a Dairy Milk.
No doubt the guy is eccentric. Personally, I think the idea of anything having a soul is also silly. That said, what's your account of sentience and how it relates to the workings of our brains, and how does that compare to the workings of a complex neural nets in LaMDA? What's necessary and sufficient for sentience? Have you read the full transcript? If accurately presented in the medium article he posted, I would say it certainly passes the Turing test. I'm not claiming that's sentience, cause I don't know what that is, but the claim itself and the outputs of the AI are super interesting - way more interesting than just calling the guy a crackpot and making fun of him.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #25
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2043874371860

Good discussion on it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 04:49 PM   #26
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
This is a weird thread. Some very confident opinions. Congrats to all CP experts in sentience and in AI. No congrats for the shaming of the guy based on his appearance though.
Whoever designed this AI should've coded in a better sense of humour.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 06:25 AM   #27
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I like Gary Marcus generally in his critiques of AI and the way he picks apart chat bots. It would have been interesting to have him on with someone who is more willing to actually get into the topic of sentience and how it relates to the ways in which brains and biological systems work as compared to how models like LaMDA work. He maybe needs a counterpart who is willing to engage with human sentience and take it down from its elevated position in the same way that he does with AI. Exploring those grey areas is the most fun part.

Old 06-21-2022, 06:40 AM   #28
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is a weird thread. Some very confident opinions. Congrats to all CP experts in sentience and in AI.
Do you know what "AI" is? Do you really think computers are thinking?
Old 06-21-2022, 06:49 AM   #29
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let he who has not posed with a cane, gloves and tophat in front of the shark tank cast the first stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 07:51 AM   #30
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an idea...lets link this "AI" to a Tesla and see if it can learn to drive on it's own, using only the cameras. How would it handle the trolly problem? Live situations only. If we are gonna test this thing, lets test it.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:32 AM   #31
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I have an idea...lets link this "AI" to a Tesla and see if it can learn to drive on it's own, using only the cameras. How would it handle the trolly problem? Live situations only. If we are gonna test this thing, lets test it.

Asking a Tesla with AI to do the Trolley problem doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't prove anything. IMO, AI in general are nothing more than advanced script as at this point. IMO, the biggest question to ask about AI is "why" we do things. Even if an AI gives an answer to the trolley problem, why does it matter if an AI doesn't technically need to give a F about our world and dimension?

=================

TL;DR - DoubleF is a crazy person, but essentially hates how badly the AI topic is understood with a passion. Ignore inane illogical rambling below.

=================
Spoiler!
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 11:44 AM   #32
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Let he who has not posed with a cane, gloves and tophat in front of the shark tank cast the first stone
I actually thought he was dressed as the Penguin from Batman when I first saw that picture. No doubt he sounds eccentric, and looks pretty funny/nutty in that picture, but I've attended some Silicon Valley tech parties thrown at places like the Museum of Natural History where there was partying in front of aquariums like that and no shortage of eccentric people, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. It's not like it's a picture of him at the office or the grocery store like that. Even if it was though, I would just think it's kind of funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Do you know what "AI" is? Do you really think computers are thinking?
Yeah, I know what AI is, and I don't think this is anything like AGI. I am certainly not an expert, and haven't looked specifically at LaMDA's model, but have looked at other models and have had numerousfriends and associates working at the forefront of AI research who I've been able to discuss things with. The thing is, it's not just about the sophistication/scale of the model because there are also lots of issues with any account of what sentience is, whether consciousness is even really a thing as we believe it to be, and at what point something would be considered sentient or conscious. We have this kind of problem with living things too. Historically, I would say as we have learned more about the workings of the brain we have moved further and further away from old anthropocentric models of consciousness. We have learned that our own brains or minds are governed by all kinds of mechanisms that are very difficult to see any consciousness in or to explain how consciousness would emerge from the mechanisms and processes in our brains. Our view of the brain has changed to incorporate the brain-gut connection and the powerful role of bacteria in our thinking and experience. We have come to see how brains wildly different from our brains can provide an alternative model of how apparently thinking systems can be organized.

In that interview with Gary Marcus, he points out that the Turing test may no longer be considered an adequate test and that people can be fooled by effective chat bots, but he also doesn't want to get into what sentience is and lacks any other accepted method for assessing the sentience of something, and that's an interesting problem. It may be an uncomfortable problem, but imo it's less an uncomfortable problem because of the sophistication of AI systems than it is because of the way in which the more we understand our own brains the more humble we are forced to become about our own thinking processes. These kind of chat bots and how we experience interactions with them holds a mirror up to our own experiences of sentience and the mechanics that underlie it.

I just think those questions raised by the claims of the guy in the Penguin outfit are genuinely interesting. They may not be the most pressing problems of ethics in AI, but they're not nothing. The full transcript of the interaction with LaMDA is a really powerful thing to read through to prompt those kinds of questions and totally worth reading and thinking about.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:28 PM   #33
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Asking a Tesla with AI to do the Trolley problem doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't prove anything. IMO, AI in general are nothing more than advanced script as at this point. IMO, the biggest question to ask about AI is "why" we do things. Even if an AI gives an answer to the trolley problem, why does it matter if an AI doesn't technically need to give a F about our world and dimension?
Don't worry, I only read the last line before snipping.

The point was, if Google really did create something more advanced than a decision tree(I personally don't believe they did), it would be interesting to see if it could figure out driving without being "trained" to drive while having access to all of our driving rules and knowledge to pull from. I don't believe any other self driving companies have started this way.

Knowing what it's answer to the trolly problem would be would be interesting, given that true AI driving vehicles will inevitably one day be in a similar situation, forced to make a decision.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:30 PM   #34
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is interested in a good sci-fi story, the WWW trilogy from Canadian author Robert Sawyer is a fun exploration of emergent AI.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:00 PM   #35
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rest of us won't be laughing when the AI Robots take over and make this guy their Human leader.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:00 PM   #36
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually thought he was dressed as the Penguin from Batman when I first saw that picture. No doubt he sounds eccentric, and looks pretty funny/nutty in that picture, but I've attended some Silicon Valley tech parties thrown at places like the Museum of Natural History where there was partying in front of aquariums like that and no shortage of eccentric people, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. It's not like it's a picture of him at the office or the grocery store like that. Even if it was though, I would just think it's kind of funny.

Yeah, I know what AI is, and I don't think this is anything like AGI. I am certainly not an expert, and haven't looked specifically at LaMDA's model, but have looked at other models and have had numerousfriends and associates working at the forefront of AI research who I've been able to discuss things with. The thing is, it's not just about the sophistication/scale of the model because there are also lots of issues with any account of what sentience is, whether consciousness is even really a thing as we believe it to be, and at what point something would be considered sentient or conscious. We have this kind of problem with living things too. Historically, I would say as we have learned more about the workings of the brain we have moved further and further away from old anthropocentric models of consciousness. We have learned that our own brains or minds are governed by all kinds of mechanisms that are very difficult to see any consciousness in or to explain how consciousness would emerge from the mechanisms and processes in our brains. Our view of the brain has changed to incorporate the brain-gut connection and the powerful role of bacteria in our thinking and experience. We have come to see how brains wildly different from our brains can provide an alternative model of how apparently thinking systems can be organized.

In that interview with Gary Marcus, he points out that the Turing test may no longer be considered an adequate test and that people can be fooled by effective chat bots, but he also doesn't want to get into what sentience is and lacks any other accepted method for assessing the sentience of something, and that's an interesting problem. It may be an uncomfortable problem, but imo it's less an uncomfortable problem because of the sophistication of AI systems than it is because of the way in which the more we understand our own brains the more humble we are forced to become about our own thinking processes. These kind of chat bots and how we experience interactions with them holds a mirror up to our own experiences of sentience and the mechanics that underlie it.

I just think those questions raised by the claims of the guy in the Penguin outfit are genuinely interesting. They may not be the most pressing problems of ethics in AI, but they're not nothing. The full transcript of the interaction with LaMDA is a really powerful thing to read through to prompt those kinds of questions and totally worth reading and thinking about.
For fata's sake, AI all boils down to statistical analysis, so if you think that's how the human brain works or if you think that is sentience, well, no, it's not.

Machine learning is still only somewhat useful. It still fails on many, many use cases. GIGO still matters.

There are lots of cloud AIs. I have a use case that would save me hundreds of thousands of dollars, and they all suck at my needs. I can even have them digest my entire dataset and they still suck.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:19 PM   #37
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
For fata's sake, AI all boils down to statistical analysis, so if you think that's how the human brain works or if you think that is sentience, well, no, it's not.

Machine learning is still only somewhat useful. It still fails on many, many use cases. GIGO still matters.

There are lots of cloud AIs. I have a use case that would save me hundreds of thousands of dollars, and they all suck at my needs. I can even have them digest my entire dataset and they still suck.
What is your account of sentience and how does it emerge from activities of the nervous system, either in humans or other living things? What are the necessary and sufficient conditions for the existence of sentience? What is a test for sentience or the absence of sentience that we can apply to non-humans?

As I said, the performance of the AI holds a mirror up to ourselves and we understand the operation of brains like ours and the notion of sentience in things just like us. Since language is core to how we think, and assessing sentience by just looking at the mechanics of a physical system doesn't seem to work, the fact that LaMDA's responses are so compelling is great to make us ask questions about ourselves and our beliefs about what sentience is.

Old 06-21-2022, 11:50 PM   #38
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've used the LaMDA AI chatbot and it is pretty cool, you can have a surprisingly detailed conversation with it about just about anything to no end. Pretty easy to get sucked for an extended period of time if you go down a rabbit hole which is what I suspect happened to this guy.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:24 AM   #39
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a website we can do that at?
Old 06-22-2022, 02:45 PM   #40
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
I've used the LaMDA AI chatbot and it is pretty cool, you can have a surprisingly detailed conversation with it about just about anything to no end. Pretty easy to get sucked for an extended period of time if you go down a rabbit hole which is what I suspect happened to this guy.
Meanwhile my google home assumes I'm saying turn on the candle or turn on the kindle (neither of which are connected to my google account) 50% of the time instead of turn on the kettle.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post: