Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2022, 07:42 PM   #181
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well.. evidently I was wrong about the prime demographic.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 09:31 PM   #182
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You guys seriously watched anywhere from 10 to 48 hours of content for a celebrity defamation trial?
Breaking News!

Man Spends 10 Hours on the Internet Complaining About People who Spent 10 Hours Doing Something on the Internet.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 09:43 PM   #183
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
You know, sometimes things strike a chord. As someone who has lived with someone that went to lengths to "ruin my life", it's kind of liberating to see a man win in court instead of the judge just handing her the kids and handing the man a giant monthly bill. Yes, I know this isn't the same, but for a lot of people, especially seeing that woman lie through her teeth and for the general public to FINALLY see that some women are malicious liars, it was something worth watching the reddit clips. Can't say I put "10 to 48 hours" into it, but I did actually watch at least 20 2-5 minute clips, where she blatantly lied / got caught lying.

Sounds like your life is just fine and that this trial was completely inconsequential to you. Why are you bothering to chime in repeatedly, scolding people? How about that age old adage about STFU and stay out of threads that don't matter to you?
Yeah I’m sure this trial specifically revealed a greater truth about the hidden, nastier traits of women which no one has ever talked about or realised previously. Nailed it. Lots of lessons for the general public here.

At least the cheap entertainment/celebrity culture angle is believable.

Life is great though, thanks. Happy to chime in on whatever I want, including when a thread about a circus becomes a little circus of it’s own. It’s all fun and games.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:13 PM   #184
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I’m sure this trial specifically revealed a greater truth about the hidden, nastier traits of women which no one has ever talked about or realised previously. Nailed it. Lots of lessons for the general public here.

Life is great though, thanks. Happy to chime in on whatever I want, including when a thread about a circus becomes a little circus of it’s own. It’s all fun and games.
Seriously after watching my brother go through what he is going through I think there honestly is great injustice to men when going through a divorce. I don’t think the courts or common law have it quite right on this issue, so, I can see the appeal of why men would be cheering for Depp in this instance.

To your point, I agree I don’t think it is new news or something that women are capable of lying, but I also think men get the shaft for things like custody arrangements and alimony expenses.

If people are people, and we all know women (people) can lie, why is the system so unfair to fathers and men? Because it is. It really is an unfair system right now. So trials like this, due to their publicity, hopefully move the needle to strike a healthier balance.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 06-07-2022 at 11:15 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:01 AM   #185
Roger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah. Because that's what my post meant. Wow, dude. You really have no idea of what some people have gone through. Pretty classy to mock it.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:23 AM   #186
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Breaking News!

Man Spends 10 Hours on the Internet Complaining About People who Spent 10 Hours Doing Something on the Internet.
It actually took about 10 minutes. And as noted by Roger, I’m “mocking,” not “complaining.” But kudos in the effort gramps, the first attempt at a joke is always more of a feeling out process anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
If people are people, and we all know women (people) can lie, why is the system so unfair to fathers and men? Because it is. It really is an unfair system right now. So trials like this, due to their publicity, hopefully move the needle to strike a healthier balance.
While I agree with the general sentiment you’re going with here and thinking it’s kind of noble to hope that, I just don’t see how. To me, this trial was very much about people seeing what they wanted to see and getting what they wanted out of it. I don’t think it changed minds. It’s kind of been mentioned here, and it’s been pretty consistent with posters also if you measure against past opinions, but the narrative was sort of decided from the beginning and that’s what people stuck with, from casual viewers to media to talking heads.

I think most people without a horse in this race or a bias they desired to confirmed saw this as more or less what it was: a bit of a joke. One that could probably be stricken from the record.

I think a serious trial with serious people could’ve done what you suggested, but I have little faith in a circus trial’s ability to.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 08:56 AM   #187
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You can undermine the importance of this trial all you want. To me this isn't a question about men vs. women at all. It's how calumnious and slanderous actions can ruin peoples lives when due process isn't offered. That's relevant on both sides of the coin. Remember witchcraft? You could literally have somebody killed by calling them out as a witch.

Depp's life has been held in limbo for 6 years due to false and malicious claims and called out by a judge and jury. Feel free to downplay and ridicule it.. glad you're enjoying yourself.

Last edited by calumniate; 06-08-2022 at 09:13 AM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 09:08 AM   #188
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I feel bad for people who never paid any attention and are just trying to catch up now. A once in a lifetime wave has come and gone. Those of us brave enough to ride out and meet it were rewarded with a month long journey that brought unexpected shock and laughter at every turn. It eclipsed every other form of entertainment to those of us capable of understanding the depth of the naked depravity on display. Truly it needed to be experienced to be understood. How are we to explain this, using only mere words, to those who sat on their hands on the safety of the shoreline?

e: All my posts in this thread should be read using Johnny Depp's narrative voice from "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"

Last edited by Matata; 06-08-2022 at 09:12 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 09:11 AM   #189
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don't see this as a joke. Hopefully this is a cautionary tale for those who spitefully try to distort history in hopes of destroying the livelihoods of ex-partners.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:13 PM   #190
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
... It's how calumnious and slanderous actions can ruin peoples lives when due process isn't offered....
Username checks out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 04:02 PM   #191
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
This isn't about picking a side, it is about following the court proceedings themselves and legal commentary, vs following a media fed narrative about the case and making an opinion based off that narrative. That's not a side, that's informed vs misinformed

The media narrative: Amber Heard is a victim of domestic abuse, a brave woman for speaking out and our misogynist court system's ruling has hurt women from ever speaking out against domestic abuse again and shows the faults of a jury verdict.

The court case reality: Amber Heard faked all testified injuries, found to have altered submitted photo evidence, found to have lied multiple times and caught committing perjury in her own testimony, and was found to be the actual abuser in several of the altercations including the severed finger incident (this particular incident she had claimed to had been raped with a bottle in a weekend of hell). A verdict was reached by a jury that Amber Heard committed defamation with malice on 3 counts based on evidence beyond a reasonable doubt.

They way some have been arguing here, it's as if the court case and what was revealed in it about all of Heard's provided testimony and evidence never happened and the narrative is still being used.
Except what little media I have seen has painted a narrative that you've called "the court case reality".
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:38 AM   #192
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Except what little media I have seen has painted a narrative that you've called "the court case reality".
Either you have been living under the biggest rock in the world, failed to read this thread or you are being argumentative just for the sake of it

I've posted multiple examples a few pages back.

https://time.com/6183484/johnny-depp...rvivors-metoo/

Quote:
Depp v. Heard Reminds Us That the Legal System Is Still Stacked Against Survivors
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...ct-is-chilling

Quote:
Many victims of domestic violence who watched this trial will likely conclude that, if they share their experiences, they will be disbelieved, shamed, and ostracized.
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...metoo-backlash

Quote:
The Amber Heard-Johnny Depp trial was an orgy of misogyny
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...trial-1361356/

Quote:
‘Men Always Win’: Survivors ‘Sickened’ by the Amber Heard Verdict
It didn’t matter what the verdict was — as one domestic violence survivor puts it, “this case is my worst fear playing out on a public stage”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...eyfettersmaloy

Quote:
Depp-Heard verdict will have chilling impact on #MeToo, advocates fear
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...vors-rcna31752

Quote:
Amber Heard verdict blasted as setback for women and domestic violence survivors
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...users-85166426

Quote:
Depp-Heard trial: Advocates fear chilling effect on accusers
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/02/media...ces/index.html

Quote:
Depp and Heard: A ‘digital-age witch trial’ or a just verdict?
https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/n...omestic-abuse/

Quote:
Experts worry about impact of Johnny Depp and Amber Heard trial on victims of domestic abuse
So I've covered the whole MSM spectrum: ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC, WP, Time, Guardian, and a few others. I can find dozens of articles for most of these companies and there's several on other media like BBC etc but there is a very common theme of still portraying Heard as a victim and it's clearly the opposite of your claim.

And of course watch the contrast in questioning between the interviews for Heard's lawyer, and Depp's lawyers.

Last edited by Firebot; 06-09-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:43 PM   #193
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah but those are right wing outlets.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:04 PM   #194
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post: