Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #1
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:
Default General Curling Thread

The biggest curling event every four years starts today at 1pm MT in Saskatoon. Full coverage all week on one of your TSN channels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_C...Curling_Trials

On the women's side it's 3 teams from Manitoba (Fleury, Einerson, Jones, 3 teams from Alberta (Walker, Scheidegger, Rocque) and 3 from Ontario (Homan, McCarville, Harrison)

And on the men's, Bottcher, Dunstone, Epping, Gunnlaugson, Gushue, Horgan, Jacobs, Koe, McEwan.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #2
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Surprises early. Homan and Bottcher start 0-2.

Old 11-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #3
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Havent watched a lot of this yet but when i did catch an end or two it was really surprising how many missed shots and generally sloppy curling i saw.

These teams are the creme de la creme in this powerhouse country, and it looked like a bonspiel in Yorkton in October at times.

It will get better as they figure out the ice....should be a good week.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:59 AM   #4
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Havent watched a lot of this yet but when i did catch an end or two it was really surprising how many missed shots and generally sloppy curling i saw.

These teams are the creme de la creme in this powerhouse country, and it looked like a bonspiel in Yorkton in October at times.

It will get better as they figure out the ice....should be a good week.
What you saw earlier was the qualification tournaments to qualify for the "Roar of the Rings". These qualifiers were certainly a tier below the Gushues, Jacobs, Jones' of the curling world.

On the Women's side Fleury has to be the favorite as she has a Slam win and 2nd place finish this year while Gushue is the best men's team in the country right now. Going in to this season you would have had to put Einarson and Botcher at the top of the pack but they haven't found the slide yet this year. Of course it is a long week and anything can happen but this is what these teams have been preparing for for the last 4 years, they have put a ton of pressure on themselves to peak for this week. Once this week is we are likely to once again see a shuffling of the deck when it comes to players and their teams.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 11-22-2021 at 09:01 AM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
What you saw earlier was the qualification tournaments to qualify for the "Roar of the Rings". These qualifiers were certainly a tier below the Gushues, Jacobs, Jones' of the curling world.

On the Women's side Fleury has to be the favorite as she has a Slam win and 2nd place finish this year while Gushue is the best men's team in the country right now. Going in to this season you would have had to put Einarson and Botcher at the top of the pack but they haven't found the slide yet this year. Of course it is a long week and anything can happen but this is what these teams have been preparing for for the last 4 years, they have put a ton of pressure on themselves to peak for this week. Once this week is we are likely to once again see a shuffling of the deck when it comes to players and their teams.

Only 3 out of 9 teams make the playoffs so I would think you have to be 6-2. 5-3 might get you a tiebreaker.

Harrison the qualifier has two wins over Homan and Einarson. She could get into the mix. But you'd think now it would be Fleury and Jones as favorites. Would not bet against Jones in a winner-take-all final.

Old 11-24-2021, 05:15 PM   #6
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Women's side is wide open now. Three losses will now ensure a tiebreaker. maybe even solo third! Fleury vs Jones later this week will be for first.

On the men's, huge game tonight between Koe and McEwen. Looks like Gushue will run away with the round robin.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss corn brooms. Nothing better than watching a perfect shot wreck on junk.

Also what is up with attractive looking athletes now curling? Where are the guys that smoked and curled.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:45 PM   #8
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Wow Gushue lost. That changes things.

Old 11-25-2021, 09:56 PM   #9
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things coming into focus now. Einarson wins her game tomorrow against Rocque and she will play Jones. Fleury is a lock for first.

Jacobs and Gushue looking good. McEwen and Koe tied for third but McEwen with a tough day tomorrow, playing both Jacobs and Gushue.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:10 PM   #10
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I miss corn brooms. Nothing better than watching a perfect shot wreck on junk.

Also what is up with attractive looking athletes now curling? Where are the guys that smoked and curled.
You do eh? They’ve been banned from competitive curling for years now and obsolete for decades! You’ve really been missing out for a long time. As for the hotties of curling, well that one of the sports best kept secrets.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:24 PM   #11
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah don't really miss the old days of competitive curling. Get a lead and then peel everything in sight until the game is over. Exciting stuff.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:10 PM   #12
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Einerson lost so we have a mess. 3 team tiebreaker now, 4 if Walker can steal.

Edit: Walker fails to steal. So Einerson vs Schedeger tomorrow morning, winner gets McCarvile, winner gets Jones, winner gets Fleury, winner goes to Beijing.

Last edited by GirlySports; 11-26-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #13
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Disappointing to see Koe fall in the semi, but it does mean at the Trials winner will be able to go for a second Olympic gold.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:20 PM   #14
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was hopeful for Koe, but it is nice to know we are sending a former gold medal winner regardless. I like both teams but I’ll be pulling for Mark Kennedy, an Alberta guy with nerves of steel. He could be the X factor for the Jacobs rink tomorrow and at the games.

On the womens side I was pulling for Einarsson. Such a great story and a champion. With her team and the Homan rink out, it is really up for grabs. I’d like to see McCarville advance as their team has a great approach to the game.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:02 PM   #15
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh wow. What did I just see?
Old 11-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #16
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jones just missed a very straightforward chance to go to the Olympics. After Fleury thought it was over (on a sweeping error it seems). Both competitors looked to be on verge of tears at different times.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #17
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Tell me curling is boring.

Thought Team Fleury blew it by missing the double peel on the guards early in the 10th which caused the mess to begin with. But then Jones misses that. Jones has left points out there, 3rd, 6th and 10th.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:07 PM   #18
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jones thought she had won. That was gut wrenching.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #19
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Why didn't Fleury hit that? If it rolls out it's a blank at worse.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:23 PM   #20
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

She was playing hack weight so she was trying to bump it. Not a straight draw.

That was dramatic as hell but ultimately more about the shots that were missed than the ones that were made.