Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-02-2022, 12:58 PM   #241
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Wow, this show is so good.

How do they keep going though, ultimately things have to get back to some sort of status quo. Homelander can't lose, the show would be a shadow of itself without him. But if he wins the show turns into some kind of Injustice: Gods Among Us storyline doesn't it?
Old 07-02-2022, 01:23 PM   #242
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Wow, this show is so good.

How do they keep going though, ultimately things have to get back to some sort of status quo. Homelander can't lose, the show would be a shadow of itself without him. But if he wins the show turns into some kind of Injustice: Gods Among Us storyline doesn't it?
I think there's room for a full season under some type of Homelander driven autocracy with the boys becoming truly underground.

Loved the way they did the stuff with Noir. What a fabulous change made from the comics. Such an interesting character without saying a word so far.

It looks like they are going to have to take our both Soldier Boy and Homelander somehow. And odds on Huey dying or becoming some sort of mutant monster thing?
Old 07-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #243
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The Noir stuff was excellent. Definitely makes you feel bad for him, even though he's a complete psycho. This season has just been excellent so far. Each episode is over an hour but goes by quick.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:40 PM   #244
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I want more of The Boys as each episode goes by. What a great show.
bdubbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:35 PM   #245
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy forking shirt balls what was this episode even!! I am absolutely gobsmacked.... Definitely gonna need a rewatch, my god...
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 08:27 AM   #246
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Gonna be a long day.. maybe I'll watch it during lunch.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:46 AM   #247
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spoiler!
Old 07-08-2022, 12:43 PM   #248
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:56 PM   #249
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Last edited by Cole436; 07-08-2022 at 02:10 PM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole436 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 07:13 AM   #250
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great season but kind of disappointed with the final episode. Homelander has felt really weak this season, it seems like all they need to do is catch him on a bad day and he could be defeated. I hated how the crowd cheered on HL after blowing the guy's head up, the core of the show has always been bombastic action mixed with brutal realism, no ones going to cheer on HL after someones head blew up 5 feet away and they have brains drippong on them.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 08:13 AM   #251
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Great season but kind of disappointed with the final episode. Homelander has felt really weak this season, it seems like all they need to do is catch him on a bad day and he could be defeated. I hated how the crowd cheered on HL after blowing the guy's head up, the core of the show has always been bombastic action mixed with brutal realism, no ones going to cheer on HL after someones head blew up 5 feet away and they have brains drippong on them.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 09:13 AM   #252
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The only problem i had with the Season 3 finale is that there hasn't been much or any progression for the major characters since the season 2 finale. If you cut out the entire 3rd season, the characters are in a similar position as they were at the end of season 2 with maybe a few differences. Almost like an alternate ending for season 2.

The show is still great though.

IMO to go to the next level storywise, they have to deal with Homelander. Problem is that Antony Starr does such an amazing job as Homelander, the show might not be the same without him.

Tough problem for the producers and writers to solve.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 09:59 AM   #253
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I was hoping Homelander would lose his powers and we'd see him trying to live amongst the great unwashed and deal with things like traffic, bad neighbors, dating, etc.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 04:18 PM   #254
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Just because Trump said he could shoot someone in the street doesn't mean it's true. Or can you think of any other examples of public figures brutally murdering people in public? The shows been great for being even-handed in the political commentary, so it was pretty disappointing to see it go full "orange man bad".

Last edited by Matata; 07-09-2022 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:46 PM   #255
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just because Trump said he could shoot someone in the street doesn't mean it's true. Or can you think of any other examples of public figures brutally murdering people in public? The shows been great for being even-handed in the political commentary, so it was pretty disappointing to see it go full "orange man bad".
I think if you got "orange man bad" from that scene you should expand your lens a bit.

What we're dealing with in The Boys is the current socio-cultural environment juxtaposed with humans harnessing the power of gods. Trump is a god within his own mind, but he's seen as some kind of perverted, patriotic, racial savior by a larger group of people than we'd care to admit.

However, even if we just took that iconic savior aspect here, you need to keep in mind that the extreme right is made up of the Kyle Rittenhouses and James Fields' of this world. I think it's awful naïve to think if a god-like being, dressed like Homelander and spouting the same #### descended from the heavens in Washington on January 6, 2021 and laser-eyed Nancy Pelosi, AOC, or even Mike Pence, a significant portion of them wouldn't have cheered. Hell, I fully believe if the mob had gotten their hands on any of those three (or countless others) we would have seen a live lynching.

Maybe they would be like the proverbial dog that actually catches the car, but it feels like the only difference between our universe and The Boys is Compound V.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:11 AM   #256
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that during a violent riot or protest that if one "team" shot one of "them" that it wouldn't be celebrated.

Look how popular George Zimmerman was, Kyle Rittenhouse, etc.

The mob on January 6th.

My point isn't "Orange Man Bad" this is "Us vs Them Mob Menality" and getting swept up in the hysteria.

It's how protests and celebrations spin out of control.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:01 PM   #257
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

My only complaint about the show, isn't really about the content, but the format in general. I remember when most series were 12-13 episodes, then they slowly started scaling back to the point most are 8 episodes. I understand there are budget and time commitments of personnel are likely a factor, but it feels like such a short ride now and you have to wait what feels like forever for another season. Part of the experience of following a series was to be invested over a fairly long time. At least with a feature length film, you usually get some closure at the end. With a series, you get cliff hangers and are left dangling.

I will say though that 8 quality episodes is better than 8 quality episodes and 4 filler episodes, which also used to happen quite a bit.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:48 PM   #258
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
My only complaint about the show, isn't really about the content, but the format in general. I remember when most series were 12-13 episodes, then they slowly started scaling back to the point most are 8 episodes. I understand there are budget and time commitments of personnel are likely a factor, but it feels like such a short ride now and you have to wait what feels like forever for another season. Part of the experience of following a series was to be invested over a fairly long time. At least with a feature length film, you usually get some closure at the end. With a series, you get cliff hangers and are left dangling.

I will say though that 8 quality episodes is better than 8 quality episodes and 4 filler episodes, which also used to happen quite a bit.
Each episode is about 1:04 long. In the past we would have gotten an hour long episode, but that would have included about 15-20 minutes of commercials.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:52 AM   #259
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I find it hard to believe that during a violent riot or protest that if one "team" shot one of "them" that it wouldn't be celebrated.

Look how popular George Zimmerman was, Kyle Rittenhouse, etc.

The mob on January 6th.

My point isn't "Orange Man Bad" this is "Us vs Them Mob Menality" and getting swept up in the hysteria.

It's how protests and celebrations spin out of control.
Every example you listed as a bad protest was from the right wing. No sympathy for the billions of damage inflicted on poor, minority communities by the BLM protests? This "preaching to choir" stuff only works if your already in the choir, to me it looks like lazy, crappy writing that betrays the brutal realism they spent so much time establishing. Equating Trump to basically a living god, yeesh.
Old 07-15-2022, 07:55 AM   #260
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just finished the 3rd season. I think the funnest part was when Blue Hawk said he was attacked by antifa.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote