Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2022, 01:51 PM   #4381
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I did a search and couldn't find a Top Gun Maverick thread, is there not one started yet?

What a great movie. Just topped 1 billion world wide.
There's been a surprising amount of discussion about it (even positively!) in the Elitist Snob Movie Thread, I mean, the "Recommend or don't" movie thread. ;D
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 06:46 AM   #4382
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It was discussed quite a bit in the recommend/or don't a movie thread.

Tom would be upset you think it's a sci-fi movie.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:59 AM   #4383
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya this has just kind of become a catch all thread almost wasn't sure where else to ask..

Found teh thread though thanks.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:55 PM   #4384
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rock seemingly confirms Superman will make an appearance in Black Adam, fingers crossed it's Henry Cavill.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1542932925766717440
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:13 AM   #4385
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cameo gimmicks just to drag people into seats are lame.

People actually want to see a Dwayne Johnson superhero flick? He doesn't know how to play any character other than the Rock.

I stopped gobbling up DC content pre-pandemic. The Batman is the only exception.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:07 AM   #4386
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Don't really like the style but hopefully it'll be good.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:04 PM   #4387
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

First look at a certain someone in BP2....

Spoiler!
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:06 PM   #4388
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
First look at a certain someone in BP2....

Spoiler!
The best underwater superhero doesnt share power!

Spoiler!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 11:10 PM   #4389
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don’t have a lot of strong opinions on Namor but that looks terrible.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 11:57 PM   #4390
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has ear thingys and a nose-ma-dad. He also has Hercules arm whackos. I thought that the whole point of him not wearing much was to drive home the point that he powerful enough to not have to worry about adding to it. Also, it insinuates that his political position and intellect were weapons of equal value. So, yeah, not a good sign. They should dress him in rags.

Also, the farther away from the Batman I get, the more it seems not that good. I think Black Adam could be better. If anyone remembers, Rocky Mavia started out as an arrogant heel.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:19 AM   #4391
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

That looks awful, looks like some kind of Aztec superhero meets drug cartel henchman.

Namor has always had an underwater Spock kind of look in the comics.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:29 AM   #4392
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

They got the King of Abs-lantis part right. Mustache has to go. All for having him with hobo hair to start as a nod, but the final look should be without facial hair.

Namor's got a very basic look. It's going to be hard to make him not just look like a wrestler.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 07-04-2022 at 06:40 AM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #4393
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like the character design from a Marvel mobile game I used to get the odd ad for on my social feeds
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:49 PM   #4394
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Reviews are in for Thor and they aren’t glowing. Maybe not as bad as the Dark World but not good either.

This entire phase 4 has been mediocre to bad.

I’m not super happy with Disney at the moment. Their tv shows are mediocre at best with a few moments of fan service and the movies are regularly a disappointing where it used to be rare for them to have any missteps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 05:33 AM   #4395
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love and Thunder is a lot of fun despite a confusing mess of a plot. There are multiple great ideas here that don't get enough time individually and cause tonal issues but somehow it all comes together in the end creating a worthwhile cinematic experience. I'm a big fan of Waititi's mixture of dry and irreverent humour and he once again delivers with one of the funniest movies I've seen recently. I really enjoyed the romantic comedy aspects and there are many other laugh out loud moments. There are also some solid emotional payoffs helped by great performances from Bale and Portman, although I wish they'd been given more screen time to flesh out the story. The first half of the movie at times felt tied to MCU requirements and this could have been better spent on developing these characters. Love and Thunder could never live up to Ragnorok but is still a fun Thor space adventure the sets up the possibility of more fun Thor space adventures. 8/10
Old 07-07-2022, 10:06 AM   #4396
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Heading to see it in a few days. I always say I hate paying attention to the critics but I still do, and it has been slipping on RT. Down to 69% currently.

That being said, I think it's really hard for critics to be accurate with comic book movies, especially with what I expect from a comic book movie. I feel like we're after two different things.

I'm looking for a comic book movie that represents the comics, represents but doesn't just mirror. I think they are looking for a comic book movie that competes with other movies of other genres.

I mean, for example The Dark World finished at 66%.. I just can't fathom a world where a new version of Thor directed by Waititi could be in the same ball park as TDW.. obviously Love and Thunder still has a 100 critics or so to go though.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:47 PM   #4397
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yup agree with FireGilbert. I wouldn't put it on my overall top list of Marvel movies, but just in terms of enjoyability it's pretty high up. Tons of fun, lots of laughs, one of the greatest fight scenes ever, the goats are awesome, and overall feels a lot like... a comic book!
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 06:50 PM   #4398
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Stop raising my expectations! After the poor reviews and complaints the movie is a total mess I’d kind of written it off as a miss, now I’m feeling optimistic again.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:50 PM   #4399
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking forward to L&T and am not familiar with how the movie adaptation plot goes -- but I feel like this is going to be given a one-and-done treatment like so many of the rogues gallery get, and that feels like a waste of Gorr to me. He deserves something between the the Thanos treatment and villain in a single movie. Hope I'm off base on this.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:08 PM   #4400
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Love and Thunder is a lot of fun despite a confusing mess of a plot. There are multiple great ideas here that don't get enough time individually and cause tonal issues but somehow it all comes together in the end creating a worthwhile cinematic experience. I'm a big fan of Waititi's mixture of dry and irreverent humour and he once again delivers with one of the funniest movies I've seen recently. I really enjoyed the romantic comedy aspects and there are many other laugh out loud moments. There are also some solid emotional payoffs helped by great performances from Bale and Portman, although I wish they'd been given more screen time to flesh out the story. The first half of the movie at times felt tied to MCU requirements and this could have been better spent on developing these characters. Love and Thunder could never live up to Ragnorok but is still a fun Thor space adventure the sets up the possibility of more fun Thor space adventures. 8/10
I think you liked it more than I did but I agree that there was potential for a really good movie in there. The Villians motivation is compelling but they don’t really dig into it enough. For me it didn’t quite get there.

It was a funny fun time but could have been more. For me is in the bottom 3rd of MCU movies.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote