Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2022, 02:46 PM   #361
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jif's product recall was either poorly timed with the Stranger Things ad campaign, or a blessing in disguise. Can't buy Jif anywhere, but nobody's talking about the salmonella.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #362
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Jif's product recall was either poorly timed with the Stranger Things ad campaign, or a blessing in disguise. Can't buy Jif anywhere, but nobody's talking about the salmonella.

This just reminded me of the discontinuation of whipped peanut butter. Dammit!
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:48 PM   #363
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripTDR View Post
Me and Mr. PeanutButter are going to open a leather jacket and Michael Myers emporium before halloween and make a killing!!!
Halloween in January? What a great idea!
Old 07-04-2022, 06:52 PM   #364
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Episode 9 felt like it dragged a bit near the end. But overall I thought those last 2 episodes were excellent.

Spoiler!
Regarding Max:

Spoiler!
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 10:03 PM   #365
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Regarding Max:

Spoiler!
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:00 AM   #366
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
There were a number of brilliant, emotional scenes during the final two. However, the season suffered from a bit of a Return of the King ending; the final episode felt like it dragged on about 30 minutes too long.
Literally a 40 minute epilogue.

Still enjoyed the season, was quite strong and entertaining overall, but yeah that was like an emotional tear jerker moment paced every 5 minutes for the better part of an hour. Nailed my wife hard but after the second or third one I got a bit of Tender Moment Fatigue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:22 AM   #367
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Overall I would say a solid B+ this season.

I'd rate it A+ from a plot driven standpoint. A+++ if it wasn't for the Russia plot.

I'd rate it maybe a C+ from a character driven standpoint. Someone already mentioned it with Infinity War/Endgame but I agree. Maybe more Game of Thrones pre-final season. Scattering all the characters meant we didn't get the interactions and character development that we could have. I recognize it's the penultimate season and now everyone is together for the final season but I don't think we even had a scene with the four boys together. This show isn't Game of Thrones, it's entire premise is based on fanfare, give me it! Not even Dustin and Suzie-Poo?

I was disappointed because it did look like they were going to get everyone together quickly instead of dragging out Hopper's imprisonment. But no, he escapes, then is back, then escapes, then is back, then escapes. Plus I just hated everything about the Russian plot. Joyce and Murray, oh yeah, exactly the people who could totally take down the Soviets.

I don't know, maybe I can suspend disbelief when it's kids, but when you got adults (and not even bad ass ones but the comic relief) it just took me out of it. Or maybe I just cared so much more about the other plots that everytime they went back there I just wanted them to go back and that's why I hated it. I think I would have been happier without any Hopper showing up at all until like the 3rd or 4th episode instead of that plot.

Also I think they did my boy Eddie wrong.
Spoiler!

Last edited by OptimalTates; 07-05-2022 at 10:49 AM.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #368
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still can't get over Eddie not being 35-40 years old. lol

Why couldn't they make him a 30 year old HS drop out living in his Uncle's trailer home?
Old 07-05-2022, 10:58 AM   #369
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Spoiler!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 11:06 AM   #370
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

Why couldn't they make him a 30 year old HS drop out living in his Uncle's trailer home?
Hey, the actor who played him wasn't even in his 30s. He was a spry 29 year old lol.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:09 AM   #371
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
Overall I would say a solid B+ this season.

I'd rate it A+ from a plot driven standpoint. A+++ if it wasn't for the Russia plot.

I'd rate it maybe a C+ from a character driven standpoint. Someone already mentioned it with Infinity War/Endgame but I agree. Maybe more Game of Thrones pre-final season. Scattering all the characters meant we didn't get the interactions and character development that we could have. I recognize it's the penultimate season and now everyone is together for the final season but I don't think we even had a scene with the four boys together. This show isn't Game of Thrones, it's entire premise is based on fanfare, give me it! Not even Dustin and Suzie-Poo?

I was disappointed because it did look like they were going to get everyone together quickly instead of dragging out Hopper's imprisonment. But no, he escapes, then is back, then escapes, then is back, then escapes. Plus I just hated everything about the Russian plot. Joyce and Murray, oh yeah, exactly the people who could totally take down the Soviets.

I don't know, maybe I can suspend disbelief when it's kids, but when you got adults (and not even bad ass ones but the comic relief) it just took me out of it. Or maybe I just cared so much more about the other plots that everytime they went back there I just wanted them to go back and that's why I hated it. I think I would have been happier without any Hopper showing up at all until like the 3rd or 4th episode instead of that plot.

Also I think they did my boy Eddie wrong.
Spoiler!
The one thing to keep in mind:

Spoiler!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 11:50 AM   #372
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
Hey, the actor who played him wasn't even in his 30s. He was a spry 29 year old lol.
Holy! seriously!? an old 29...
Old 07-05-2022, 11:54 AM   #373
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think the problem is that all of the other "kid" actors are so old now that casting someone who's age-appropriate for Eddie wouldn't have looked right for being the guy who's on his third attempt at graduating high school.

As it is, he's actually a year younger than the actor who plays Steve. All of the older "kid" actors are in their late 20s and Steve is 30. The younger "kids" are all over 18 now except for the actor who plays Will, who turns 18 in October.

Eddie is supposed to be older than the rest of the group, so they couldn't really cast someone who's the same age as Dustin, Max, and Mike, who are all 20 now.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:31 PM   #374
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Millie Bobby New Edition Brown is my new favourite actress in Hollywood!

She called the Duffer Brothers, Sensitive Sallies for being too scared to kill off main characters. lol. They aren't game of thrones enough!

But she is right. For such a dark show there isn't enough deaths. Like for sure Max should be dead, but she isn't. I thought she had to die for the underworld to appear. Hop for sure should be dead but then there goes 4 hours of Season 4.

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainme...icism-20220705
Old 07-05-2022, 10:53 PM   #375
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Millie Bobby New Edition Brown is my new favourite actress in Hollywood!

She called the Duffer Brothers, Sensitive Sallies for being too scared to kill off main characters. lol. They aren't game of thrones enough!

But she is right. For such a dark show there isn't enough deaths. Like for sure Max should be dead, but she isn't. I thought she had to die for the underworld to appear. Hop for sure should be dead but then there goes 4 hours of Season 4.

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainme...icism-20220705
She was “absorbed” by Vecna. Her body is alive but her consciousness isn’t there. Now they can still save her sure but the condition for the fate to open was met.

The other thing is that I think thrones making the shocking main character death a requirement also does a disservice to story telling.

What we want is emotional connection to characters and stories. Whether Max is brought back or not the pain in Lucas resonated. Even after 4 years of no mains dying the deaths and near deaths still pack an emotional punch. Eddie’s death with Dustin talking to his dad had surprising heft as well.

Should they have killed Steve as he basically marked himself for death by telling Nancy all his dreams? I don’t think so, it was far more emotionally resonant to have Nancy and John get back together and Robin consoling a crushed Steve in a slightly blurred background.

Deaths don’t equal drama or stakes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 11:06 PM   #376
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you’re looking for the ideal model to use for the conclusion of your TV series, Game of Thrones is the absolute last place to go.

Max did die, just long enough for the rift to open btw
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:32 PM   #377
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Maybe if Eleven wasnt such an emo, she could've saved Max in time

Hopper with the Sword was dumb

Also, is anyone going to try to save Dr. Owens? I have a feeling mid season 5, Eleven is going to do a jail break through the pentagon to save him, to have him put Eleven through "Papa's" training to become stronger

I hope they bring back Eight. Just so she can trap One/Henry/Vecna in an illusion so Hopper can stab him with Conan's Sword
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:04 AM   #378
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did I miss something with the sword? Like where the F did it even come from?!

Overall I really enjoyed the season, but I agree with some of the complaints. I could have done without 95% of the Russian side plot. I found the scenes with Joyce, Murray and the annoying Russian guy to be incredibly badly acted and over the top. Murray's character is freaking terrible and I'd be just fine if they wrote him right out of the show. Winona Ryder is a really great actress most of the time so I have no idea what was going on with her wide eyed, shocked facial expressions in every scene. I got genuinely annoyed every time they cut to that plot.

As for the rest of it, I really enjoyed it. I loved that they finally did something with Lucus, his character arc was great. I really enjoyed Max's story this season too, although I do think it's a bit cheesy that they didn't straight up kill her off. Although it opens up an interesting idea for next season...will she come back as the bad guy? He absorbed her mind, memories, etc. She's the only one to physically survive so will he use her to get revenge?

I also has a laugh that Eleven just needed to hear that her boyfriend loved her before she could pull herself together enough to try and save the world. Teenage girls are hilarious...I know, I used to be one.

And Nancy: dump Jonathan. Steve is way cooler.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:02 AM   #379
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

why the hell would anyone want Sadie Sink dead, she's top 3 in this show in terms of acting ability. there's like a dozen other main characters that could go before the end of the series if you insist on killing someone, starting with anyone from the pizza van. those guys have nothing left to do.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:34 AM   #380
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Good season over all but I’m little bored of the telekinetic fighting. It looks pretty stupid on screen. The long gaze and holding your hand forward is stale and looks dumb

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post: