Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-26-2022, 01:27 AM   #1261
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
I'm really considering getting one of these, especially with the price drop. I can charge for free at work so I'll likely never have to spend a dime on electricity. What did you pay, if you don't mind me asking? And did you have to order way in advance? Also, what is the delay with getting the 240V charger installed at your home? Do you have to wait for Chevy to send someone out or have you picked an electrician privately and are just waiting for them to show up? Thanks.
Well we paid a final price of just north of 55k for ours. The dealer tried pushing a market adjustment on us but we fought on that a bit and ended up compromising by buying the protection packages, 3m, weatherech floor liners etc.

I was a bit cheesed over that but at least we got some tangible benefits for the extra $. We still feel lucky to have gotten one.

The delay on the charger install was the company that gm contracts out (Black &MacDonald). They are swamped but looks like we will have that done soon.

Other than that it’s been a really good move so far. No regrets, nice car with good range. Have saved a lot of money on fuel that we have been able to feed into the car payment.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 01:04 PM   #1262
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
I'm really considering getting one of these, especially with the price drop. I can charge for free at work so I'll likely never have to spend a dime on electricity. What did you pay, if you don't mind me asking? And did you have to order way in advance? Also, what is the delay with getting the 240V charger installed at your home? Do you have to wait for Chevy to send someone out or have you picked an electrician privately and are just waiting for them to show up? Thanks.
If you are considering getting one and can charge at work, I would not spend the money on a level 2 charger at home. I have an EV and can charge at work (there are 4 free level two chargers in the parking garage). At least once a week I am able to get one of those 4 spots and I charge to 80 percent (360 KM) which is enough for one weeks worth of driving for me. Most weeks I can get into one of those spots twice in a week. If you just have trickle charging at home you can still get about 8 KM of range per hour charged, so if you are real low you can charge at home. But if you get one I would delay the level two charger until you get a sense of how often you can charge for free at work. I have not had to charge at home this entire calendar year.

Can’t comment on how long it will take you to get an EV, I got mine in March of 2021 but KIA was selling all their 2020 models on sale to make room for the 2021 models, so I just bought off the lot and drove it home same day.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 01:16 PM   #1263
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I don't think this means anything.

Until the factories are producing at full rate, of course they will cost a lot of money. That is normal for any factory, and especially car factories are costly to setup and run.

Biggest thing to watch is the balance sheet. Obviously if Tesla can't continue taking advantage of the credit systems, they will loose cash flow, but at that point you'd think they should be able to cover that with what they ship.

I believe they just said today they shipped the most vehicles ever per quarter.

I'm not sure what the other automakers are waiting on. There is a demand for EVs, and it will continue to grow month per month with the high fuel prices. Someone needs to fill the gap.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:29 PM   #1264
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

China's lockdowns in the last couple years have ####ed up so much over here. The time to get things that are traditionally manufactured there have tripled or quadrupled.

The overdependence on China has come back to bite us. It's a big sign that we need to be inventive now to find ways to slowly sever those ties. That as well as nationalizing energy resources that come from within the country. It's all an indication that we've leaned too far into globalization and are paying for it as a result.

That or we need China to stop overreacting to Covid outbreaks and halting operations for it, but nobody is holding their breath for that. If they keep up their interruptions despite these mutations progressively weakening they're going to drive people to seek to find ways to manufacture independently of them. Time is money, and the rate China is trudging out their products/services these days will kill any business with products in high demand.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:58 PM   #1265
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
If you are considering getting one and can charge at work, I would not spend the money on a level 2 charger at home. I have an EV and can charge at work (there are 4 free level two chargers in the parking garage).
Yeah I am putting in some AC so had the electrician over and I was asking about level 2 in the garage, and he said my problem might be I might need a new line from the transformer. It's possible, they have to bore a line underneath all the driveways but it's not cheap.

But the first EV we were thinking of was my wife's car which is just a work and back daily driver, and we can charge enough to cover that overnight no problem. And use other chargers for the few times she puts on a lot more if necessary.

Yeah I like that advice, try with the level 1 if it looks like it might work ok. Might not work for everyone but if it does then saves some $$.

One thing I didn't ask was was there enough capacity at the transformer for everyone? I.e. what if everyone in the neighbourhood wanted to have 2 level 2 chargers in their house? Is it a case where getting it done sooner might have some advantage if someone in a few years won't even be able to do it because of a limit of capacity at the transformer?

The other interesting thing I found out about is heat pump dryers. They use a heat pump to exchange the hot and cold air and remove the humidity so they require less energy, run on 110V instead of 220V and don't require an external vent. They take longer so might not work for large families but could be an option for a household like mine where my parents live in my suited basement and my family is small so replacing the dryers might be cheaper than having to upgrade the service to 200A.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:34 AM   #1266
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
If you are considering getting one and can charge at work, I would not spend the money on a level 2 charger at home. I have an EV and can charge at work (there are 4 free level two chargers in the parking garage). But if you get one I would delay the level two charger until you get a sense of how often you can charge for free at work. I have not had to charge at home this entire calendar year.
I've mentioned this before but I wonder how long employers will be receptive to the additional costs of providing electricity for their employees, in particular as the number of EV's rises. Second, would this not be considered a taxable benefit? If my employer pays for my fuel (or I receive a vehicle allowance to compensate) then I am taxed IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah I am putting in some AC so had the electrician over and I was asking about level 2 in the garage, and he said my problem might be I might need a new line from the transformer. It's possible, they have to bore a line underneath all the driveways but it's not cheap.

One thing I didn't ask was was there enough capacity at the transformer for everyone? I.e. what if everyone in the neighbourhood wanted to have 2 level 2 chargers in their house? Is it a case where getting it done sooner might have some advantage if someone in a few years won't even be able to do it because of a limit of capacity at the transformer?
Guy on my beer league team had some house reno's done and had Enmax over to connect/disconnect the main feed. He asked the guys this question and they told him they had regular callouts where the street had been overloaded by additional connections like this. His ballpark estimation was that a typical street could handle 2-3 homes before major upgrades would be required.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 09:35 AM   #1267
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
snip

snip
I know a guy that works at Enmax in a role pretty high up and he said the transformer capacity is going to be a major issue. They've already run into problems where there are a few chargers on the block and it's damaged the transformer. I suspect this will be a major bottleneck in the near future.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:28 AM   #1268
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I know a guy that works at Enmax in a role pretty high up and he said the transformer capacity is going to be a major issue. They've already run into problems where there are a few chargers on the block and it's damaged the transformer. I suspect this will be a major bottleneck in the near future.
I'm completely ignorant here - but you'd hope they can adapt. Internet and mobile phone companies seem to be able to up their infrastructure to accommodate advances every 5-10 years. Its not like this is going to happen all in a year - they've got years to plan and figure it out.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 11:36 AM   #1269
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I'm completely ignorant here - but you'd hope they can adapt. Internet and mobile phone companies seem to be able to up their infrastructure to accommodate advances every 5-10 years. Its not like this is going to happen all in a year - they've got years to plan and figure it out.
It won't be cheap, though. They'll have to upgrade all sorts of equipment. I wonder if new communities are being designed with these greater needs? Happy I got my 200A done when I built my garage a few years ago.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:57 AM   #1270
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I've mentioned this before but I wonder how long employers will be receptive to the additional costs of providing electricity for their employees, in particular as the number of EV's rises. Second, would this not be considered a taxable benefit? If my employer pays for my fuel (or I receive a vehicle allowance to compensate) then I am taxed IIRC.
If we are talking downtown office parking with chargers, the charging is part of the building infrastructure and considered a tenant amenity built into your monthly parking fees.

You are already either paying $500/month out of pocket or at least $250/month in taxable benefits already even if your employer is paying for your parking spot. I am considering it just to recoup some of that egregious parking cost.

The problem is when everybody is driving an EV and there are only 4 spots for 400 stalls and you end up driving to work at 5AM just to get one of them.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:32 PM   #1271
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Isn't it easier to just charge at home? Or is that actually an issue?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:18 PM   #1272
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Isn't it easier to just charge at home? Or is that actually an issue?
A lot of working professionals don't have a house/garage where we can charge. We might live in an apartment, small townhouse, or condo without charging infrastructure, etc.

EV has never been an option for me unless I can charge at work. The issue is if everybody that can charge at home decides they want to save a few bucks off their Enmax bill and fight for charging spots at the office.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 01:21 PM   #1273
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It won't be cheap, though. They'll have to upgrade all sorts of equipment. I wonder if new communities are being designed with these greater needs? Happy I got my 200A done when I built my garage a few years ago.
I bought a new house in Sherwood Park and all the new Jayman houses come with 240v to the garage for a level 2 charger. One would hope the infrastructure was made to handle it!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 01:35 PM   #1274
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I bought a new house in Sherwood Park and all the new Jayman houses come with 240v to the garage for a level 2 charger. One would hope the infrastructure was made to handle it!
Is it 200A service? Because technically you could install a level 2 in a 100A panel, as the amp range is 12-80. What socket is it? NEMA 14-50? Or a 14-30?

Old 07-04-2022, 06:29 PM   #1275
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Quote:
As Fuzz says it won't be cheap and in the end it's the consumer who pays for infrastructure one way or another. Even if you have a charger now (eg Fuzz) a homeowner might still see a fee if their entire street needs to upgrade. Or however Enmax decides to divide out the cost. Kind of like the charges that are on our electric bills that pay for power lines etc.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:55 PM   #1276
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

https://cdn.ihsmarkit.com/www/prot/p...er-Q1-2022.pdf

1 in 12 new vehicles registered in Canada in Q1 of 2022 was an EV.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:00 PM   #1277
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Is it 200A service? Because technically you could install a level 2 in a 100A panel, as the amp range is 12-80. What socket is it? NEMA 14-50? Or a 14-30?

It's a 14-30, I'm just using a level 1 charger right now so I have no clue if it's 200A service. I'll have to take a peek!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #1278
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
It's a 14-30, I'm just using a level 1 charger right now so I have no clue if it's 200A service. I'll have to take a peek!
OK, so a 14-30 is basically a dryer or stove plug. They could easily be using 100A panels(it will say on the main breaker what the amperage is), though 150A is probably more likely. I'd advise at least a 14-50 for anyone with the ability to add one, as that is capable of providing up to 40 amps for the charger, which should give you ~50km of range per hour charging. A 14-30 gives you ~30km/h.

Last edited by Fuzz; 07-05-2022 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:45 AM   #1279
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Apparently the barriers to charging already discussed here are a know factor by the EV industry. Their term for it: "garage orphans"

This article has some thoughts

https://electricautonomy.ca/2019/06/...phans-problem/

Last edited by para transit fellow; 07-08-2022 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typo
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 01:42 PM   #1280
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Haha nice term.

Am I a garage orphan because I'm too lazy to clean out my side of the garage so I park on the driveway?
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post: