Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #1
Delgar
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default 3 to 4 Down CFL

Calgary and Toronto voted in April at a CFL Rules meeting to change to 4 downs.

I like the three down game, but on the other end, the CFL game is basically 2nd tier football. 3 downs promotes throwing, 4 downs promotes small running plays IMHO. Passing plays are more exciting in my experience.

Moving to a 4 down game probably does two things, first, making the CFL more like the American game, and will change how teams value certain players. Secondly, moves to more of a running/slow gains influence.

The league will continue to be below the NFL tier, but the athletes the CFL attracts are very talented.

Also, moving the uprights to the back of the field might lead to less of a kicking game, which I think would be a good change. Paredes rocks, but kicking is too common the way things are.
Delgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:59 AM   #2
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

3 downs sucks. Imo.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 10:04 AM   #3
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m a 55-year CFL fan and a 38-year season-ticket holder who doesn’t care for the NFL. I don’t care that the players aren’t as good as those in the NFL; we have great athletes and a more exciting game. If the CFL ever goes to four downs, I’m out.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 07-04-2022 at 09:12 AM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 09:10 PM   #4
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

3 downs leads to more change of possessions and more exciting finishes, but a lot more blink and you missed them drives that are over before you can crack a beer throughout the game. So in conclusion, I don't know where I stand.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:22 PM   #5
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The 3 down rule makes our game unique and changing to 4 would make us a lesser version of the NFL.

Old 07-02-2022, 09:22 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

As a fan, I'd rather not go to 4 down football. It changes the pacing of the game, and removes offensive urgency.

As a OC at multiple levels of amateur football, if the CFL goes to 4 down football, so will we, I welcome it, it makes my life a lot easier to grind the field.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:54 PM   #7
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

no thanks.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:35 PM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am in the same demographic as money guy, and while I am not a season ticket holder (bombers only come to town once per year) I would not be excited to see the league go to 4 downs.

I feel that the reality is that no matter what the league does it will struggle with the kids today for a ton of reasons some that I don’t think the league could fix
Old 07-10-2022, 09:45 PM   #9
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

do this and the CFL will ceases to exist in a decade, Canada will have an NFL team in To, maybe one in Van or Montreal (although I doubt it)
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2022, 09:46 PM   #10
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 downs has been tried long enough and has proven itself to not create a viable product. whereas 4 downs on the other hand has done so....and then some.

Hopefully the CFL changes and finally makes the league watchable. A CFL that becomes a formal farm system to the NFL is the holy grail, as an NFL fan right now, the CFL is cringeworthy football. Sure most CFL fans would give me grief about the purity of the CFL game and the value in being different, but hey, the CFL has proven it isn't a good/sustainable product as-is so change is needed. Big fields/balls be damned.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:14 AM   #11
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Football is football. So three tries or four, it doesn't matter to me. I like both versions.

The bigger field, the options for the rouge, the shorter play clock, and stoppage time are the more iconic Canadian rules that improve the game.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:16 AM   #12
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like 3 because it encourages higher-risk plays. NFL with small gain running plays is boring to me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 11:01 AM   #13
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
3 downs has been tried long enough and has proven itself to not create a viable product. whereas 4 downs on the other hand has done so....and then some.

Hopefully the CFL changes and finally makes the league watchable. A CFL that becomes a formal farm system to the NFL is the holy grail, as an NFL fan right now, the CFL is cringeworthy football. Sure most CFL fans would give me grief about the purity of the CFL game and the value in being different, but hey, the CFL has proven it isn't a good/sustainable product as-is so change is needed. Big fields/balls be damned.

1861. Thats the year this league had its first formal recording. It has been the CFL in its current form since 1958. Seems like its viable to me.

Ive watched this league since the 60s and there has been howling every decade, yet the league plows on regardless of those who want to Americanize it. Leave it, it will be just fine.

Last edited by Cheese; 07-11-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 06:01 PM   #14
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
do this and the CFL will ceases to exist in a decade, Canada will have an NFL team in To, maybe one in Van or Montreal (although I doubt it)
The CFL is slowly dying right now. I wouldn't be surprised if the CFL is dead in 10 years if they make no changes. Though I think it will take about 20 years for the CFL to die. I use to be a big CFL fan but I barely watch anymore because I just find the product to be very weak and boring for the most part.

They have to do something radical to save the game.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 06:04 PM   #15
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think 4 down football will be a last gasp thing for the league when it's on its deathbed. Things are pretty bleak right now but I don't think they are close to there yet as they probably want to go a few years after the pandemic to see if attendance slowly creeps up. It's been pretty awful so far this season though and there's reason to worry.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:26 PM   #16
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

No offense to anyone who this may apply to: changing from 3 to 4 downs will not put butts in seats, and, thinking otherwise is moronic-America worship.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 06:36 PM   #17
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think the best way to grow interest is to expand to 12 teams.

We could add Quebec, Halifax, Okanagan or K-W/London.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 06:43 PM   #18
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand, why people want to change 3-down CFL to 4-down? If you want to watch 4-down football, go watch NFL. And IMHO, CFL is far from boring, you don't know the end until the end. People can like NFL, but do they need to put down CFL? You don't like it, don't watch it. Saying watching CFL is a waste of time is ludicrous, I think reading people say this kind of stuff is a waste of time.
midniteowl is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 07:19 PM   #19
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
No offense to anyone who this may apply to: changing from 3 to 4 downs will not put butts in seats, and, thinking otherwise is moronic-America worship.
Yeah, it's likely to drive away more fans than it attracts.

I just can't imagine that the people who stay away now because they consider it inferior are going to change their minds because of adding another down. If anything, it would make the quality difference with the NFL even more noticeable.

The garbage pile of history is full of 4-down football leagues that have failed.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:43 PM   #20
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's not part of 3 down versus 4 down football, but the fact that the CFL still has kick-offs that can be returned (I mean, it can happen in the NFL, but it is a rarity) as well as returns on missed FG's and punts that go into the endzone just add to the excitement of those plays. No fair catch on punts either.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post: