Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2022, 09:27 AM   #2221
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone been to Mot To yet? This is the 2nd store from the family behind the highly regarded Pho Dau Bo.

https://mottovietnamese.com/

Pics and reviews look great. It's in the Central Landmark Chinese Mall on the corner of 16th NW and Center which is unfortunate given it's nutty parking.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:54 AM   #2222
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes it’s very good, banh mi and pho are the stars there. You’re paying a premium for the somewhat modernized menu and social media friendly presentation, but it’s not outrageous. I avoid the parking problems just by going off peak hours but it shouldn’t be too bad even if busy cause there’s a bunch of mall lots and streets in that back area.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 10:57 AM   #2223
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

And if you can’t get into Mot To for whatever reason, Rau Bistro is just a couple minutes away. a bit more traditional but top notch, it’ll be on your favourites list real quick.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 12:05 PM   #2224
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to Kama,

Pork belly was amazing
Broccoli was really good
Snap peas were kind boring
The Shrimp were the largest shrimp I have ever eaten. Like Lobster tails and the sauce was amazing for them.

I really enjoyed it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:24 PM   #2225
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tavern 52. Ice cold beer, great appetizers. Ran in to this place by chance, I will be back.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:55 PM   #2226
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.theartistlounge.ca/

https://eatnorth.com/dan-clapson/new...stberg-gallery

Quote:
The Artist Lounge is a new sit-down addition to the popular Ruberto Ostberg Gallery, which is located in the Capitol Hill neighbourhood, that will operate from Thursdays to Sundays from 4 p.m. to late, offerings an array of cocktails and small bites for people to enjoy while soaking up the dynamic art the gallery is known for.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:13 PM   #2227
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone been to Central yet? In the beltline, a black framed glass longhouse sorta wedged between two commercial office buildings. I'll admit, I know nothing about it and am coming here before google to learn, just looked like a cool spot.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:23 AM   #2228
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
Has anyone been to Central yet? In the beltline, a black framed glass longhouse sorta wedged between two commercial office buildings. I'll admit, I know nothing about it and am coming here before google to learn, just looked like a cool spot.
It's from the guys at Craft, so if you like that, you'll like Central... Cooler, more intimate space with similar, solid food and even if it doesn't knock your socks off, it's unlikely to disappoint either. Definitely worth checking out.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:25 AM   #2229
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
Went there this week. It was kinda busy and it was very loud. Hate to be inside when it’s full. Having the patio doors open would help a lot with that I’d imagine. Couldn’t have them open on Tuesday.

It’s nice inside though, good beers, had the Nashville chicken and it wasn’t spicy at all but tasted good, other food I saw looked good. Sleeves of beer are $8 which suck.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:53 AM   #2230
Knut

Exp:

Had a day off work so my wife and I tried Lulu Bar (https://www.lulubar.ca/) and Lonely Mouth (https://www.lonelymouthbar.com/).

We had some Appetizers and one main at Lulu and everything was really good. We also had some Rolls and Udon at Lonely Mouth. Also great.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:29 PM   #2231
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

grabbed lunch today at the new earl of sandwhich on 130th today. sandwich was a little on the small side (maybe it was the right size and i am just a gluttonous pig), but a tasty offering.

only downside is the physical location of this shop as that whole arrea on 130th should be subject to about 24hrs of low level saturation bombing and then rebuilt by someone who understands how traffic flows
Old 06-17-2022, 05:41 PM   #2232
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
grabbed lunch today at the new earl of sandwhich on 130th today. sandwich was a little on the small side (maybe it was the right size and i am just a gluttonous pig), but a tasty offering.

only downside is the physical location of this shop as that whole arrea on 130th should be subject to about 24hrs of low level saturation bombing and then rebuilt by someone who understands how traffic flows
What are they pricing the sandwiches at up here? I'm guessing nothing under $12.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:59 PM   #2233
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Chefs N Farmers
(403) 764-7449
https://maps.app.goo.gl/4L6KL4Y9quegTC5n7

Had lunch here today. It's an out the way hidden gem that opened about 3 months ago.
Talked with the owner/chef who was formerly with Hyatt and left to pursue his own dream.

Everything is locally sourced, wine and beer list is good.
Dishes are all made from scratch. Very impressed with this place.

It's upstairs from a tennis club by Glenmore athletic park by the reservoir, pool, track, safety city.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:25 PM   #2234
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Had a quick beer and snack at Gwailo in Inglewood. It's mainly Hong Kong cuisine with some Taiwanese dishes too. The pork buns were pretty good but the real hit were the various skewers they sell. My co-worker and I had the pork belly, lamb rump, and beef skewers.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2022, 08:37 PM   #2235
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

130th is only acceptable if you bike down via Fish Creek park and you can weave through the nightmare parking lot on your bike.

I went on a 60KM bike loop with FlameOn today from Tuxedo Park to Earl of Sandwich and I got the Italian but unfortunately, it wasn't really anything to write home about. It seemed like 80% bread and the filling was disappointing.

I wanted some greenery so badly in my disappointing sandwich that I bought an extra salad for $9 and ended up putting half into my tool bottle to eat later at home.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:09 AM   #2236
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Add some KM's and hit up Peppino's in Mahogany.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 09:47 AM   #2237
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Add some KM's and hit up Peppino's in Mahogany.
Is that any better? I've hit up Peppino's in the +15's by Shell quite a bit and it was pretty meh. I think I heard Johnny Gaudreau liked Peppinos in Kensington.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:32 PM   #2238
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Tried Sorella the other night and apparently it's the sister restaurant to Mercato. Service and food were ok, not great as they're still getting things figured out it seems. Will go back and try it again as it's close and they have a sweet rooftop patio that should be opening soon.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:07 PM   #2239
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Is that any better? I've hit up Peppino's in the +15's by Shell quite a bit and it was pretty meh. I think I heard Johnny Gaudreau liked Peppinos in Kensington.
All Peppinos are the same from my experience. They're pretty basic but tasty and a decent price. They beat any of the chains and you'll have to spend a few bucks more to get something better.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 07-11-2022 at 07:09 PM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:23 PM   #2240
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't impressed by peppinos.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business