Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2021, 01:43 PM   #101
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you see them deploy in a time lapse and upon completion it feels like Elon Musk has trapped us in a Tholian Web.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:36 AM   #102
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Given Starlink is meant for remote areas, I think this is a little concerning for the business case in some locations, such as Australia.

I would assume this is not ambient temperature of 122 degrees F (or 50 Degrees C), but the temperature on the dish itself, i.e. if its in the sun, this likely isn't that hard to hit in many locations. Then they don't restart until 40 Degrees C.

I remember news stories trying to fry an egg on concrete during the Stampede in Calgary, I figure that must of been above 50 Degrees C?

Quote:
Starlink dishes go into “thermal shutdown” once they hit 122° Fahrenheit

Dishy will go into thermal shutdown at 122F and will restart when it reaches 104F."

https://arstechnica.com/information-...e-for-7-hours/
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #103
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably a minor issue they'll fix with a high temperature model. Starlink Plaid.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:56 AM   #104
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Probably a minor issue they'll fix with a high temperature model. Starlink Plaid.
I wonder if it is minor. Heat is pretty annoying to electronics, and aside from an active cooling system, I wonder how passive cooling reduction systems will work (such as heat fins) - if the sun heats up the dish, these fins will also heat.

But I guess as far as electronics go, dishes are pretty simple, so perhaps it is less of an issue?
Old 06-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #105
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Making electronics that can handle extreme heat isn't an known frontier though. They just cost more.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #106
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

How’s the real world latency, for those that got it?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #107
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
How’s the real world latency, for those that got it?
Latency is a non-issue for me (not a gamer, just a business guy), but the regular dropped packets ARE a problem. About every 2-3 minutes I drop packets in bunches, and about every half-hour I get booted from my corporate VPNs - whichever one I'm using at the time. It used to be worse, so there's that.

Speeds are increasingly regular...I average 130/30 Mbps generally, with latency typically in the 28-60ms range to locations in Canada.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:15 AM   #108
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Latency is a non-issue for me (not a gamer, just a business guy), but the regular dropped packets ARE a problem. About every 2-3 minutes I drop packets in bunches, and about every half-hour I get booted from my corporate VPNs - whichever one I'm using at the time. It used to be worse, so there's that.

Speeds are increasingly regular...I average 130/30 Mbps generally, with latency typically in the 28-60ms range to locations in Canada.
Any heat issues yet shutting it down as per my link above? And if I can ask, where are you located?
Old 07-07-2021, 08:23 AM   #109
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Any heat issues yet shutting it down as per my link above? And if I can ask, where are you located?
Sorry - missed this!! Yes - I got thermal shutdown for a few hours when it got to 39.7C here -- middle of BC -- last week. I thought it would last longer as it was blisteringly hot, but was pleasantly surprised.

Also, the new firmware seems to have the packet loss regularized to about every 2:15 or so. (typically for about 3 sec.). Very weird.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2022, 05:04 PM   #110
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone having issues with a major speed drop in the last week? I was generally getting 150-200 Mbps but now barely getting 40. This better not be because of their new "premium" tier service that costs $2500 for the equipment and a whopping $500 a month for internet!
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:16 AM   #111
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking at Starlink as the primary means of Internet Access at a potential property by Fairmont BC. I'd be working from home so Teams/Zoom video call stability is important. 4G has about 1-2 bars of service (I think), and I suppose I could also do XploreNet.

I understand Starlink's service is potentially spotty depending on your cell. I'm reading that 1-2 second dropouts (as satellites transition on the horizon) potentially cause Teams problems.

Has anyone:
1) Experienced these drop outs in this area?

2) Come up with a solution for this? I'm reading all sorts of workarounds (of unknown efficacy) ranging from Quality of Service tweaks and bonded connections using dual WAN routers / Speedify. Unfortunately - while I'm generally PC literate - networking has always been my nemesis....

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 06-12-2022 at 09:19 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:26 PM   #112
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be interested in knowing more as well as my mom has rented a campsite with no Wifi, having Internet Access would make using this space a lot more practical.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:40 PM   #113
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used it on a boat last week, it was great. It did have some down time, but we think that was either issues with the mounting location,or interference from the radar or other electronics nearby. Not a lot of mounting locations on a boat. But it was nice to look at cat videos while in the middle of nowhere.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:43 PM   #114
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I used it on a boat last week, it was great. It did have some down time, but we think that was either issues with the mounting location,or interference from the radar or other electronics nearby. Not a lot of mounting locations on a boat. But it was nice to look at cat videos while in the middle of nowhere.
Cat Videos. Uh huh. Sure.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:51 PM   #115
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Cat Videos. Uh huh. Sure.
I swear to god I looked over at my wife's phone one day while cruising up a beautiful channel, and she was watching a cat video.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2022, 07:55 AM   #116
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Here in Manitoba, we are seeing these all over, and out in cottage country people swear by it. Not sure how it holds up for work stuff, but I know a LOT of people who have signed up and love it.

Of course at the same time that it got rolled out and got a lot of signups, a fiber company began doing more fiber to home installations locally, so will be interesting what happens.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:08 AM   #117
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Here in Manitoba, we are seeing these all over, and out in cottage country people swear by it. Not sure how it holds up for work stuff, but I know a LOT of people who have signed up and love it.
We have many office staff that no longer come to the office, they just use Starlink.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #118
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got set up. I’m too far outside Calgary for cable and we were on Xplornet. Looking forward to it. So far there’s been an issue with Google Mesh that we have to work through.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:24 AM   #119
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any honest reviews?
I have Xplornet and it aint much good. I am just unwilling to pay the capital expense and do extra work for a similar product.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:26 PM   #120
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I've heard that speeds have gotten a lot better since they implemented the excessive use policy when users download over 1TB per month. Anyone else?
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote