Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #61
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont know if they meant to, it certainly seemed like it, but Hank is Barry's perfect foil.

Where Barry when it comes to his work is methodical and efficient and goal-oriented and wanting to stop killing people Hank is just pure Chaos. He screws up everything hes involved with until it becomes so screwed up that it ends up perfect.

I loved the line where he says he should have been a Hotel Concierge.

This scene is perfection.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 03:58 PM   #62
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

"You are the King of Suckballs Mountain" might be the single greatest line of cinematic dialogue of all time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #63
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question for those that are fans of Barry:

I've watched the first 4 episodes and so far find it to be just "okay". Does the series pick up as the season goes on, or is this about it?
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #64
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Question for those that are fans of Barry:

I've watched the first 4 episodes and so far find it to be just "okay". Does the series pick up as the season goes on, or is this about it?

That's about it. It has enough flaws that prevent it from being a great show, but it's still a pretty good show. It's an actor driven show, so it gives precedence to big character moments over everything else, so it suffers from a really uneven tone and not making a lot of sense.

Last edited by Matata; 02-13-2020 at 08:46 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #65
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

It took me until the end of the first season to really get into it, but I think that's because at first I couldn't figure out what type of show it was trying to be. I didn't know what I was watching exactly, is it an action show? Drama? Comedy? Took me until later in the season to kind of get a hold on what the show was exactly but once I sort of "got" that I was hooked, and even went back and watched the first season again and enjoyed it a lot more once I had figured that out.

I do also think season 2 is better
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:00 PM   #66
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me too
I liked it but didn’t love it until late in season 1
When the series starts to really be about how Barry got to where he is, how he wants to change and why he can’t - it reaches a new level
The repetition of the line “starting now” is heartbreaking
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #67
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I liked it right from the beginning. Maybe it was the people on here kind of explaining why it was funny.

But I feel it was very apparent and excellent early on. It had the comedy base with the underlying dark theme that someone was deeply conflicted on who they were and desperately trying to change.

Last edited by jayswin; 02-13-2020 at 07:13 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #68
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

The writing and acting is the strength of this show. I guess I can kind of see how some ambiguity on what kind of show it was could throw you, but I felt it was funny no matter what you thought it was.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #69
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone watching McMillions on HBO, the documentary series on the McDonald’s Monopoly scam? I’m liking it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #70
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

McMillions has been really interesting so far. The one FBI agent seems like he is on something as he is super hyper.

What I have learned watching it, I hate event based streaming shows. I was also annoyed with the Mandalorian. I find it more annoying for this as its a documentary and if I wanted to, which I wont because I am lazy, I could google about the whole story.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay's Beagle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #71
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

2019s Best Picture winner, Parasite, is being developed into a series for HBO. Tilda Swinton, who's worked with director Bong Joon-ho on Snowpiercer and Okja is set to lead.

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/...nton-parasite/
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2020, 10:39 PM   #72
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

OMG Curb Your Enthusiasm. How did I pass over for so long. What a mistake. The scene where he has the orchestra play on the jerks lawn
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 10:51 PM   #73
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven’t been absolutely loving Curb Your Enthusiasm this year until tonight’s episode. Adolf the dog, the female urinals and a ton of other laughs tonight.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #74
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Larry shuffling through the ugly section of the restaurant was absolutely hilarious.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #75
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curb has jumped the shark for me. I guess when you have 10 seasons of George it's bound to be annoying.
That 3rd episode with the fake fruit was absolute garbage.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #76
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

McMillions with another excellent episode last night. Next week is the last one I think.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #77
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first episode of McMillions was great. The later ones have been a bit less interesting to me. I think everything that needed to be explained or told about the scam could have been adequately completed in one or two episodes. I also think I just want to hear more stories from Doug the FBI agent.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #78
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The first episode of McMillions was great. The later ones have been a bit less interesting to me. I think everything that needed to be explained or told about the scam could have been adequately completed in one or two episodes. I also think I just want to hear more stories from Doug the FBI agent.
Have to agree with this. The first episode was pretty quirky and unusual, thanks mostly to the one FBI agent, but seemed to take on a more conventional approach after that.

In other news, quite unusual how The Outsider very closely followed the book for the first couple episodes, then completely went sideways. Im trudging through it a little bit at this point, watching mostly out of obligation. Maybe those that haven't read the book are enjoying it more, but I can't help but think the performances and HBO production quality are boosting it a good 20 points on rotten tomatoes.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #79
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've still been enjoying it because I think its important to show how the people who 'scammed' the wins out of McDonalds were largely victims of being scammed themselves.

And as much as I think Doug the FBI Agent is easily, easily the star of this show and could just listen to him for hours, hes taking pleasure at catching these people in their lies and thats his job, its understandable, but some of these people arent much more than patsies being offered a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and then being taken advantage of.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out in the end though.

I do love the hilarious mental gymnastics though.

"We're not scamming McDonalds...they were going to pay this money out anyways, we're just...'directing' where that money goes."

"I didnt do anything wrong, I just sold a stolen prize ticket and then extorted the winnings out of this unwitting dupe."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #80
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I honestly thought it was a movie. Once I found out it was a series I had zero interest in watching it. The article in Forbes or wherever was fairly extensive, but there's no way it's mini series material.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post: