Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #261
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Crash works well if you pretend that it's a parody of an Oscar bait drama about racism.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #262
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how much truth there is to Mickey Rourke's description of how much of his character arc was cut from the film (IM2). Maybe there is a decent cut out there somewhere?

Mission Impossible - Decent movie
MI2 - Deplorable POS
MI3 - Start thinking things like 'wasted a good actor there' while actually watching movie
MI4 - Awesome
MI5 - Awesome

I can't think of another franchise that rose like a phoenix like Mission Impossible did.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #263
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I wonder how much truth there is to Mickey Rourke's description of how much of his character arc was cut from the film (IM2). Maybe there is a decent cut out there somewhere?

MI2 - Deplorable POS
MI3 - Start thinking things like 'wasted a good actor there' while actually watching movie
MI4 - Awesome
MI5 - Awesome

I can't think of another franchise that rose like a phoenix like Mission Impossible did.
Hmmm....others who have seen them, is this accurate?

MI didnt really grab me and MI2 definitely lost me and I havent seen any since.

If the last two are good can I watch them without slogging through the other crap or will I be totally lost?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #264
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

If the last two are good can I watch them without slogging through the other crap or will I be totally lost?
Really the only MI thats straight bad is 2.

I think 1 and 3 are great as spy thrillers and the last couple are great as big event action films. Cruise's obvious insanity is a benefit to the franchise. Say what you want about him, but the guy is committed to his work. You wont be totally lost watching them separately, the stories are very independent of each other. I do recommend 3 though. As someone who really liked the 1st one, I was worried about 3 because of how bad 2 was, but I thought they did a really good job resetting the franchise after the bomb of 2.

I really like 3. It's more grounded and closer to 1 in tone, whereas the last two are more special effect driven action films. Good ones though.

Last edited by Coach; 06-18-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #265
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I loved MI. I liked MI2 at first, but it is one that I just can't re-watch anymore. I thought MI3 was decent. It didn't do well at the box office compared to any of the others but it really was a good movie. MI4 was also good. It got a slow start at the box office, which scared me away from seeing it, then I watched it on a flight and I loved it. I wished I hadn't waited to see it now. I also loved MI5. I'm looking forward to MI6.

When looking at all the review sites, MI3 has higher ratings than either 2 or 1. 4 and 5 are much higher than the first three.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #266
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The first Iron Man was the best Marvel movie.

2 & 3 were terrible.

Terrible is a stretch. They have their moments, definitely lower end Marvel movies tho.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #267
Uncarved
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Eraserhead. First time watched part of it, but he audio wasn’t working. Then tried to watch it with audio, yikes. I’ve never watched a movie that made me want to burn down the TV I watched it on. I actually like a lot of David Lynch works but this one in unbearable.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Douglas Adams
Uncarved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #268
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
All I remember from watching Crash was thinking, "If this was the best movie made this year, it must have been a pretty awful year for movies."
It wasn't a bad year for movies. At the time, there was much controversy about Crash beating out Brokeback Mountain for best picture. Brokeback Mountain today is considered very much the masterpiece many thought it was back in 2005.

I certainty don't think Crash is anywhere near being the worst movie I have ever seen. But today, it is known more for being an undeserving Oscar winner than anything else, much like Ordinary People.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #269
Knut

Exp:

My wife dragged me to the Overboard remake with Ana Faris. Wow. That was terrible. The first one was not exactly sophisticated cinema but the acting was good at least.

Faris was terrible, the main male character was even worse. No redeeming qualities at all.

It is the worst movie i have seen in a long time.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #270
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Who cranked the suck knob to 11?

Fubar is the fabric of Calgary in movie form. Anyone who has lived here has dealt with and had a deep down appreciation for a Deaner or Terry.

Parents were born in Calgary, Wife was born in Calgary, Kids were born in Calgary, hell one of my Grandparents if from Calgary. I dare to say it would be hard for me to be more Calgarian, I don't even pronounce the second a.

Fubar did not speak to me at all, except to tell me I should turn the movie off after about 35 minutes.

"You know when you were an kid got drunk with your buddies and said we're hilarious, we should film this". The truth is your not, and your stupid home movie probably should not end up in theaters or on the shelf of a blockbuster.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:44 AM   #271
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Meet the Spartans.
Haha I forgot about this one! My housemate at the time loved it and kept showing it to friends who came over so I ended up seeing it like 3 or 4 times.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:55 AM   #272
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Parents were born in Calgary, Wife was born in Calgary, Kids were born in Calgary, hell one of my Grandparents if from Calgary. I dare to say it would be hard for me to be more Calgarian, I don't even pronounce the second a.

Fubar did not speak to me at all, except to tell me I should turn the movie off after about 35 minutes.

"You know when you were an kid got drunk with your buddies and said we're hilarious, we should film this". The truth is your not, and your stupid home movie probably should not end up in theaters or on the shelf of a blockbuster.
You know those are characters, right? Those two (David Lawrence and Paul Spence) have been part of the independent drama scene in Calgary for a very long time. "Terry and Deaner" would show up at Loose Moose on a regular basis. That "home movie" was just a style of film, which was common at that time for comedy: The mockumentary. It's a legitimate (low budget) movie that was not made by a couple of random dudes, but aspiring independent artists portraying the culture that they had experienced. I personally found it compelling to see how perpetual party-boys handle serious crises like health scares.

You don't have to like it, and you can still consider it the worst movie ever, but I think all of that deserves consideration.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #273
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terry and Deaner are local heroes. I can't believe they're being mentioned in this thread.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #274
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Terry and Deaner are local heroes. I can't believe they're being mentioned in this thread.

I did improv ("who's line is it anyways" stuff) back in high school and our drama teacher got someone from the Loose Moose theater to come give a class to all the improv kids. Afterwards, he invited us to come check out a early screening of a movie him and his friends made. We all thought "who wants to see some lame local movie?" and stayed home, that man was David Lawrence (Terry) and the movie was Fubar. Biggest mistake of my life.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #275
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.killbeatmusic.com/nightseeker/

Quote:
Like Alice Cooper, Dean Murdoch is the onstage personality of Paul Spence, co-creator of FUBAR and composer of music in both films. And while the films are comedies, Nightseeker’s debut album, 3069: A Space-Rock Sex Odyssey, is as serious as witches at a coven. There are no winks to the camera. Every song is on point, even if the lyrics are about needing to impregnate the universal goodness with rock to insure the propagation of humankind.

“The ultimate soundtrack for ‘giviner’ is finally here,” says Deaner (aka Spence). “The rock is hard, the metal is hot, and every riff is deadly."

In 2000, FUBAR hit the theatres and there began an epic journey towards becoming a cult classic and an integral part of the Canadian comedy landscape. In 2010 the sequel to FUBAR was released, giving birth to the band Nightseeker, who composed and recorded the music for the soundtrack. In November of 2017 Viceland premiered the new eight-episode series based on the mockumentary about two hockey-haired metalheads, featuring Nightseeker’s current line-up. It’s funny, it’s crazy, and the music is awesome, most of which is featured on the Nightseeker album
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fubar_Age_of_Computer
https://globalnews.ca/news/3842147/f...ice-tv-series/

Last edited by troutman; 06-19-2018 at 11:12 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #276
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Wind River.

WORST MARVEL MOVIE ever.

CGI budget non-existent. Scarlet Witch didn't use her powers.

Hawkeye using guns? Hello stay true to the source material.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 12:08 PM   #277
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I started and stopped Cell with John Cusack and Samuel Jackson on Netflix. It was so bad. Cusack’s wig looked like it had a life of its own. It should have been paid as an actor.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #278
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most children's movies make me want to fall asleep. I fell asleep during Legends of Oz in the theater, and I have a similar response to movies like Garfield or the Smurfs. Pixar movies are usually pretty good, but Cars 2 and 3 were awful.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #279
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I can't see how an extra 20 minutes of Rourke brooding would save that...the character is just silly. He uses whips to threaten the world....if only people had invented some kind of projectile shooting device to allow them to stop the "Whip" outside of the range of his whips.

I still wouldn't call IM2 the worst movie. It fits in with the other uninspired hero movies like the Amazing Spiderman 2. They're pretty much the same movie.

Quote:

MI2 - Deplorable POS
MI4 - Awesome
MI5 - Awesome

Getting rid of John Woo was a good start. Interrupting MI action sequences for slow motion shots of doves is a pretty questionable move. Although Face/Off was awesome.

Last edited by blankall; 06-19-2018 at 12:42 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #280
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a lot of crap I have seen over the years, so I will just mention the ones that were the most disappointing relative to my own hopes/expectations or hype/buzz:

1) The Hobbit
2) Avatar

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad movies , worst movie