Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The notion that there's any chance Babcock could be fired is errant nonsense generated by idiots and opportunistic media shock jocks trying to get attention. I would bet my house on that.
I haven't heard any such thing. Is it because of his tiff with Matthews?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #22
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The notion that there's any chance Babcock could be fired is errant nonsense generated by idiots and opportunistic media shock jocks trying to get attention. I would bet my house on that.
Not even the Leafs would pay Babcock 30+ million to not be coaching. That's what he is still owed on his deal.

Not to mention he has done a very good job since arriving in Toronto. They were a complete tire fire prior to him getting there and he has turned that right around and has them on the right track.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #23
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like I was saying in another thread if you listen to 960 on the weekends you can hear their Toronto feed and one of the talking heads were saying that if it came to a decision between Matthews and Babcock that Mike would be shown the door without hesitation regardless of the contract. It also didn't seem that the Toronto guys are all that enamored with Babcock as they called him a good, not great coach and compared him to those college basketball coaches with big egos that feel people are attending the games to see them as much as the team (I actually agree with this to a point). Now I know it's just talking heads on the radio no different than Boomer or Pinder here but I was kind of surprised the level of contempt for him as I figured they would have had him on a pedestal given their regular season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #24
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
#### I hate seeing guys younger than me (not by much) get into positions like this. Makes me feel like a chump and done nothing with my life. Oh well. Good for him. They are building a contender over there and he has been a big part of it.
Well take solace in the fact that many people, including myself, don't put much stock behind being a GM of a hockey team. Good for him, but i'm sure he's done not much more in his life then tote around behind guys like Lou and live and breathe hockey 24/7 for the last ten plus years.

It would be equally sad in way for this guy to be 60 and never have done anything else in his entire life due to the requirements of pursuing this role and maintaining it for a considerable length of time.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #25
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Dubas is a hard core analytics guy, so the type of players he covets will be those who rate highly in the fancy stats.

That should suggest who he may be interested in as far as the Flames go.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #26
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Dubas is a hard core analytics guy, so the type of players he covets will be those who rate highly in the fancy stats.

So Dougie for Marner has a chance then?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #27
Madrox
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Maybe I'm old school, but I just don't think these young GM's are a great idea.
Poile was 32 when the Caps hired him to be their GM. They never made the playoffs once before he was GM, and only missed once in the 15 years he was their GM. Cliff Fletcher became the GM in Atlanta at 36. Obviously it doesn't always work out, but young GMs are hardly a new thing.
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madrox For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #28
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Is Dubas going to want to bring in his own coach or is Babcock safe?
Sheldon Keefe is Dubas' guy (Dubas brought Keefe to the Greyhounds and then to the Marlies). So technically Dubas' own coach is already in the Leafs organization and it is a question of whether he gets promoted or not.

One thing the Leafs may consider is a coaching trade to drop Babcock's contract- they're very uncommon in sports but not unprecedented - and Babcock has some value leaguewide that the average coach does not.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #29
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
So Dougie for Marner has a chance then?
I think so, but many do not for some reason.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #30
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leafs GM? Please add an extra M to his last name.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #31
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Leafs GM? Please add an extra M to his last name.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #32
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrox View Post
Poile was 32 when the Caps hired him to be their GM. They never made the playoffs once before he was GM, and only missed once in the 15 years he was their GM. Cliff Fletcher became the GM in Atlanta at 36. Obviously it doesn't always work out, but young GMs are hardly a new thing.
Sather was 37 when he became GM of the oilers in 1980.

back in the 70's and 80's, that must have been shocking to the old school hockey guys for a someone under 40 be a GM.

considering how little you actually have to play the game to be a GM or coach, wonder when we'll see a female head coach or GM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #33
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Sather was 37 when he became GM of the oilers in 1980.

back in the 70's and 80's, that must have been shocking to the old school hockey guys for a someone under 40 be a GM.

considering how little you actually have to play the game to be a GM or coach, wonder when we'll see a female head coach or GM.
Not for a while I imagine. We would have to start seeing far more females in scouting and management capacities and a few of them would have to work their way up. It's definitely something that may happen one day but I don't think it's on the horizon seeing there are no prominent females in any organizations and the NHL is still an old boys club at the end of the day so in the next decade we should see some more turnover of some of the elder statemen around league circles and things could change. Really though are there a lot of driven females that want this career?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #34
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've had women scouts, assistant general managers (Angela Gorgone) and full-time assistant coaches now. I don't think it's necessarily a long ways away.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #35
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Cause that's worked so well in Arizona where they franchise continues to flounder under the wonder kid.

the good news for Dubas is that he's stumbled into a pretty decent core, the bad news is that he's going to have to give up that up front strength to an extent to fix a terrible blueline and that's not as easy as it sounds.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not for a while I imagine. We would have to start seeing far more females in scouting and management capacities and a few of them would have to work their way up. It's definitely something that may happen one day but I don't think it's on the horizon seeing there are no prominent females in any organizations and the NHL is still an old boys club at the end of the day so in the next decade we should see some more turnover of some of the elder statemen around league circles and things could change. Really though are there a lot of driven females that want this career?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
We've had women scouts, assistant general managers (Angela Gorgone) and full-time assistant coaches now. I don't think it's necessarily a long ways away.
I think the NBA will beat the NHL to a female head coach. Probably Becky Hammon. Women's basketball is such a huge college sport that there are lots of coaches out there. There just aren't as many "work your way up" opportunities in hockey.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:56 AM   #37
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If treliving falters this offseason /season, i would sure love to see the flames get mark hunter, whose contract is done at the end of the season.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 04:32 AM   #38
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Like I was saying in another thread if you listen to 960 on the weekends you can hear their Toronto feed and one of the talking heads were saying that if it came to a decision between Matthews and Babcock that Mike would be shown the door without hesitation regardless of the contract. It also didn't seem that the Toronto guys are all that enamored with Babcock as they called him a good, not great coach and compared him to those college basketball coaches with big egos that feel people are attending the games to see them as much as the team (I actually agree with this to a point). Now I know it's just talking heads on the radio no different than Boomer or Pinder here but I was kind of surprised the level of contempt for him as I figured they would have had him on a pedestal given their regular season.
I’m stuck with the Toronto feed most days, and they complained about him all year. Mostly for not putting Matthews on the power play much. I was surprised myself.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:32 AM   #39
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I’m stuck with the Toronto feed most days, and they complained about him all year. Mostly for not putting Matthews on the power play much. I was surprised myself.
I do agree with them in that he's not as good of a coach as he thinks he is which kind of holds him back a little. His usage of Matthews is curious as is their relationship and it's something to watch because Babcock probably believes he's the man because of his historic contract while Matthews probably believes he's the man because he's the franchise player. Matthews is still only 20 after all so I really don't have an issue with a bit of tough love but Leafs fans have never been good at having patience as I remember how they used to freak out over Kadri's usage.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:21 PM   #40
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I'm thinking Dubas doesn't believe in the whole not showing emotion thing like Lou.

Plus Dubas looks like Spiderman before he got bit by the spider.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1007443160807755776
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote