Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #61
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The whole organization has packed it in for the season so I think I should be allowed to do the same as a fan. More interested to see what the off season brings than to watch a patchwork lineup full of 3rd/4th liners and plugs who won't even be in the league next year.
TheKurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #62
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Kids up front will take them.
Yours if you want them. Just PM your name and email address (need that to email through my flames account).
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #63
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“Everyone wants to point blame, but the blame, at the end of the day, goes to the guys that are running it, not the players in there. That’s me. So to question their character? That’s B.S.”

For some — from the media to the message boards — to suggest that’s an ingredient the Flames are lacking, it doesn’t sit well.

“I think it’s ridiculous to question it,” responded defenceman Travis Hamonic.

“I hate to hear that,” echoed left-winger Sam Bennett. “To have people question the character in this room, that’s tough to swallow and it’s the farthest thing from the truth. It’s a great group of guys in here and the character of every single guy is amazing.
Hey guys, how about bringing the character out of the room and onto the ice.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #64
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Some most certainly do...don't kid yourself.
Yep. They are still regular people at the end of the day. If there were forums about your job, critiquing your performance a lot of you would take a peek at times. I'm sure some players are better than others at filtering this stuff out but they are curious.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #65
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I won't be paying any attention.

To be completely honest I forgot about the LA game until I looked at the NHL scoreboard the next day.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #66
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't care what Harmonic and Bennett think of everyone questioning their character. This team lacks passion. The amount of times they got blanked in crucial games tells you all you need to know about this squad.

If Foo is playing tonight, I might watch a few minutes. Otherwise, I could care less what this team of disappointment does tonight. This game couldn't mean less.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #67
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
#Flames tonight:

Bennett-Backlund-Brouwer
Ferland-Shore-Lazar
Frolik-Jankowski-Stewart
Glass-Stajan-Hathaway

Giordano-Hamilton
Stone-Hamonic
Kulak-Andersson

Gillies
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #68
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He is not the only one, and I don't think it is just back-scratching from a friend. Lawrence Gillman was on TSN 1040 in Vancouver yesterday afternoon, and strongly advocated for Gulutzan. Despite the cacophony from fans clamouring for his head, hockey executives and observers have not been echoing this sentiment. It leaves me thinking that Gulutzan may stay on the bench in Calgary.
Do you believe that’s likely? It’s not unusual for hockey coaches to have each other’s back.

I am truly not a GG hater. And I don’t think fans should be running the show obviously. But it sure would seem like a big risk to bring him back, especially because there is no track record of success there that you can point to and say “he didn’t just become a bad coach when he got here”.

I only see GG returning if they trade a couple of vets for picks and basically use next year as a semi rebuild. Which I see as highly unlikely.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #69
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I don't care what Harmonic and Bennett think of everyone questioning their character. This team lacks passion. The amount of times they got blanked in crucial games tells you all you need to know about this squad.
This one is tough for me to agree with.

I'm not sure it's the effort or the care that's ever been an issue this season - it's been the execution.

I actually think this team has time's where they care a little too much. The reason they struggle in big games is from trying to do too much not from lacking effort, and then just make horrible, poor, crippling decisions on ice.

Bennett is actually the perfect example. Most of his penalties aren't lazy penalties, they are offensive zone penalties where he is trying so damn hard to get the puck back he grabs or trips up a guy, trying to do too much instead of playing simple.

So for me it's not that the team lacked passion, or didn't care, it's that when they were faced with a big game they got so tight and tense that they got into their own heads and failed.

If anything this team needs more guys to loosen them up before a big game, not another guy just to pile on.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-29-2018 at 11:44 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #70
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
He is not the only one, and I don't think it is just back-scratching from a friend. Lawrence Gillman was on TSN 1040 in Vancouver yesterday afternoon, and strongly advocated for Gulutzan. Despite the cacophony from fans clamouring for his head, hockey executives and observers have not been echoing this sentiment. It leaves me thinking that Gulutzan may stay on the bench in Calgary.
Has anybody advocated for him that isn’t one of his former colleagues? Serious question.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #71
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This one is tough for me to agree with.

I'm not sure it's the effort or the care that's ever been an issue this season - it's been the execution.

I actually think this team has time's where they care a little too much. The reason they struggle in big games is from trying to do too much all the time, and then just make horrible, poor, crippling decisions on ice.

For me it's not that the team lacked passion, or didn't care, it's that when they were faced with a big game they got so tight and tense that they got into their own heads and failed.

If anything this team needs more guys to loosen them up before a big game, not another guy just to pile on.
Very good point.

I can't decide which way is right, but that's a really good way to look at it
Old 03-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #72
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
The only game that has remotely any significance is the one against the Oilers.
They have better start scoring multiple goals or start multiple fights!
Old 03-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #73
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Very good point.

I can't decide which way is right, but that's a really good way to look at it
Yeah for me the "nervous energy" around the team has been the best way to explain it all season.

Starts with the coaching staff, and all the way down to the players.

Coach never inspires confidence and looks shaky before big games.

You could see it on the players in warm ups before big games at home this year, just a general "fear" of making a mistake or not playing well.

Then the game would start and it was clear that it was an issue. Even in games they would start well and then just collapse. Something as simple as a bad penalty would send them into a tailspin they just couldn't get out of.

So yeah I don't think they need more "care" they need more "confidence". Get a confident coach that makes them believe in themselves, and a couple of guys who are confident #######s opposed to high character nice guys.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #74
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I care about this one.

A Flames win over Columbus gives the Panthers another team to possibly overtake in the playoff race.

However, the Jackets are red hot these days, so I don't expect that to happen.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #75
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. Haven't for weeks.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #76
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah for me the "nervous energy" around the team has been the best way to explain it all season.

Starts with the coaching staff, and all the way down to the players.

Coach never inspires confidence and looks shaky before big games.

You could see it on the players in warm ups before big games at home this year, just a general "fear" of making a mistake or not playing well.

Then the game would start and it was clear that it was an issue. Even in games they would start well and then just collapse. Something as simple as a bad penalty would send them into a tailspin they just couldn't get out of.

So yeah I don't think they need more "care" they need more "confidence". Get a confident coach that makes them believe in themselves, and a couple of guys who are confident #######s opposed to high character nice guys.
I can definitely see it. I can see a lot of the collapses as lack of passion and leadership as well - but I can definitely see either being the answer. I wonder which is easier to fix.

Play a simpler more confident game, or start finding the passion in the locker room to win
Old 03-29-2018, 12:07 PM   #77
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
They have better start scoring multiple goals or start multiple fights!
I was actually thinking about this last week... Hockey Night and Canada, Flames versus Oilers. Start Ferland, Glass and Stewart and beat them in the alley for 60 minutes. The two points are virtually meaningless at this stage; at least have a bit of pride and show them that even if they win on the scoreboard it will come at a cost.

Anything less than 4 fights and I'll be disappointed...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #78
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
#Flames tonight:

Bennett-Backlund-Brouwer
Ferland-Shore-Lazar
Frolik-Jankowski-Stewart
Glass-Stajan-Hathaway

Giordano-Hamilton
Stone-Hamonic
Kulak-Andersson

Gillies
Those forward lines are honest to God worse than even the Young Guns era. Like actually depressing just to look at on paper.

Between this and the coaching/arena situation this feels like some kind of alternate "bad ending" timeline.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #79
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any news on a Johnny Hockey return?

I hope he doesn't rush back if his dad needs him at this time.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #80
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is what got Tre in trouble in the first place. When you are doing your due dilligence and background checks on a hire, it's not the positive feedback you get that you should be focusing on, it's the negative feedback. The source also matters a great deal. Asking his friends what they think of him is pointless.

What should matter most is wins. GG has never won anything as a coach at any professional level. In 4 seasons as a head coach in the NHL, his teams have missed the playoffs 75% of the time. In 3 seasons as an assistant coach in the NHL, his teams have missed the playoffs 66% of the time. As a coach in the NHL, his teams have missed the playoffs 70% of the time.

Those are the facts.

He can be a nice guy with lots of friends and he sure as hell talks a good game but in a results oriented business, his track record speaks for itself.