Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #201
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i thought Calgary had one of the nicest airports in the country, then i had to fly through Vancouver. i hate giving any part of that city credit, but that is one damn beautiful airport. we still kick Toronto's ass though
Too bad it's built on Sea level, one Tsunami and it's gone.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #202
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
is it bad that in the office when I realized I made a mistake and have to redo something, this is the phrase I say under my breath?

Thanks robot chicken for that......
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #203
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like those in charge have made the fatal mistake of not patterning the new terminal off of cancan international.

Hopefully this new design incorporates more food choices than a Harvey's and Starbucks for those travellers heading outside of Canada.....but the current design does give those travellers a great view of the food court accessible to those who were staying within Canada......
Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #204
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Sounds like those in charge have made the fatal mistake of not patterning the new terminal off of cancan international.

Hopefully this new design incorporates more food choices than a Harvey's and Starbucks for those travellers heading outside of Canada.....but the current design does give those travellers a great view of the food court accessible to those who were staying within Canada......
The Harvey's is now a Burger King.

Yes, I stole this post.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #205
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A Burger King opened up a new joint in Calgary?

That's rare.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #206
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
A Burger King opened up a new joint in Calgary?

That's rare.
The same can't be said about their burgers though. Mmm..
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #207
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskflames96 View Post
The Harvey's is now a Burger King.
Yes, I stole this post.
Nice, the Harvey's would always kick in for me, during the time in the flight, where you could not get up......I was always worried about having an accident.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #208
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bigtime is right--more international flights are a function of demand and airline route planning, not due to limitations of YYC.

The parallel runway is more about increasing movements per hour at peak times, we are routinely given holds, delays, or ground stops departing for yyc. The parallel runway will help this, as long as the winds aren't strong out of the west.

Bigtime, what is wrong with the current runways? Don't know what you are referring to.

Airport authorites in Canada are terrible. They are run like an extremely inefficient arm of the government. They spend as much as they want, which is often far more than is required, and then just raise airport improvement fees and landing fees. They are a true monopoly, because for the most part we don't have a choice of airports. If you fly to or from Calgary, you use YYC.

They aren't using taxpayer money, but they are taking advantage of anyone who wishes to use air travel.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #209
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I wouldn't say that there was no need for expansion. For a while, the airport had planned a large expansion of the existing b/c pier for a while. That area definately is in need of upgrading, to bring it up to a level similar to the other piers. I think the airport is just building 20-30 years of expansion all at once. Is that better or worse than incremental expansion? That I can't answer, but they would definitely spend more money building the same thing incrementally over 20 years than building it all at once.
According to this article, Epoch Times Article, passenger traffic has increased 60% in the last 6 years alone and they are merely trying to keep up with short term demand. I recall reading somewhere that the 12.5 million passengers it served last year is pretty much 100% capacity for the current airport and they are trying very hard to land some direct flights to Asia.

My personal opinion is that Westjet is really pushing this. Once their regional service takes off, Calgary will become more of a Hub type airport and will need to be able to handle tons of prairie folks going to Florida and Mexico.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #210
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Bigtime, what is wrong with the current runways? Don't know what you are referring to.
Don't believe I said anything was wrong with the current runways. Just like you were saying I was making mention of the fact that during peak times they are running at 100% capacity.

Of course you have to wait an extra year to get the benefit of the parallels, as the plan is to shut down 16R/34L for a year to upgrade it. I think they want to make it pretty much identical to the new runway, and get some re-paving and such done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
According to this article, Epoch Times Article, passenger traffic has increased 60% in the last 6 years alone and they are merely trying to keep up with short term demand. I recall reading somewhere that the 12.5 million passengers it served last year is pretty much 100% capacity for the current airport and they are trying very hard to land some direct flights to Asia.

My personal opinion is that Westjet is really pushing this. Once their regional service takes off, Calgary will become more of a Hub type airport and will need to be able to handle tons of prairie folks going to Florida and Mexico.
We do have a non-stop to Asia, Air Canada is operating YYC-Tokyo Narita. They have been growing the route and are now operating it year round. The real question will be if we could support another Asian destination. In the past Korean has operated a few charter flights here in the summer, and the last time around (in 2010) they made those flights bookable to anyone. Perhaps this gave them a little test of the potential demand for a YYC-Seoul regular service. There was also mention that the Alberta delegation met with Korean in London during the Olympics to talk about air access between the two.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #211
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I know that the numbers on the runways refer the the position the runway is in on the compass......
Old 08-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #212
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought there was alot of weight restrictions on summer Asia flights out of Calgary which limited cargo revenue hence 1 reason for the new runway.

I have also heard that at peak times the US rush doenst allow for more slots and choices at those times for carriers.

Remember also, a longer runway adds to the safety aspect of landing in bad weather etc. Of all the Airport Authorities I always thought Calgary ran a relatively effective airport. Especially with 0 government money going to the airport. They charge who they should for air travel, the people who use the airport.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #213
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
How do runways work? Are there different lengths? How many are at YYC? What do the numbers/letters mean? Do they have different wieght restrictions? Do the east west ones service east west routes?
We have 3 runways currently:

-34/16 (the main N-S runway)
-28/10 (NW-SE orientation)
-25/07 (south end of the field)

I think only 25/07 has a weight restriction, but it can still land mid-sized airliners like the A320 and 737's. However it is mainly used for the charter/private operators based on the south end of the field like Sunwest, Shell, Suncor, Kenn Borek, and many others.

Runway usage is based on wind direction, ATC and pilots prefer to take off and land into the wind as much as possible. Check out this link to see the current wind conditions at YYC and which runways are currently in use, plus info on the headwind/tailwind/crosswind component based on the current wind conditions:

http://atm.navcanada.ca/atm/iwv/CYYC
Old 08-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #214
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sorry Bigtime, you said the runways were 'pretty bloody busy', and I read it as 'pretty bloody lousy'.

And mykalberta, YYC's 34/16 is over 12500' long, one of the longer runways in North America, so I can't imagine why it would be limiting for cargo flights. While Calgary is relatively high in altitude, we don't get many really high temperatures. Altitude and temperature are the primary factors in performance.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 08-14-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #215
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
The parallel runway will help this, as long as the winds aren't strong out of the west.
Well it's a good thing that's rare around here.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #216
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Well it's a good thing that's rare around here.
Well I think one thing that will change with the parallels is that pilots flying into/out of YYC may have to get used to dealing with more crosswinds as ATC tries to use the parallels as much as possible for capacity reasons.

Obviously when it starts exceeding limits (aircraft and company) they will have to switch to 28 and 25.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #217
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Well I think one thing that will change with the parallels is that pilots flying into/out of YYC may have to get used to dealing with more crosswinds as ATC tries to use the parallels as much as possible for capacity reasons.

Obviously when it starts exceeding limits (aircraft and company) they will have to switch to 28 and 25.
We would still have two somewhat parallel runways operational at the point though right? So would switching to those two runways be that much of a hit to capacity?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #218
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
We would still have two somewhat parallel runways operational at the point though right? So would switching to those two runways be that much of a hit to capacity?
If the winds dictate only 28 and 25 can be used it will be a HUGE hit to capacity. Except for very rare conditions the airlines will only land on 28, 25 is used mainly by the charter and private operators on the south side of the field. The only time I've seen the airlines use 25 was late last year during that crazy wind day, remember that video of Lufthansa landing on 28 in the crosswind? Air Canada and WestJet were landing their 737's, Airbus' and Embraers on 25.

The big problem with 28 and 25 active is that the approach for 25 cuts right into the approach of 28, so you have to separate aircraft even more to avoid conflicts or loss of legal separation.

I'll ask my ATC buddy up in Edmonton that controls arrivals and departures into Calgary what the different hourly capacities are based on which runways are being used. I do know that the most capacity right now is when they can use 16 and 10, #2 would be 34 and 28, and 28 and 25 probably way down there.

Last edited by Bigtime; 08-15-2012 at 09:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #219
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes, with the approaches crossing it is still essentially like having one runway from a separation and capacity standpoint.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #220
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was in the ATC tower a few years ago the wind was blowing out of the north at 25 knots. They were only using runway 34, and were only capable of having 3 aircraft on final approach fix(heading) at the same time. Edmonton centre called to ask if they could do 4, but the tower guys said no. All the landing aircraft in addition with the departing aircraft results in a pretty busy place.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc