Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #81
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

NM wrong thread

Last edited by The Boy Wonder; 06-18-2018 at 01:19 PM.
The Boy Wonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #82
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The issue is the Flames spent 2 x 1st round picks and 4 x 2nd round picks for their #2 and #4 d-men. In a league where the foundation of success has become drafting and development you can't sustain a deficit of picks for long without it catching up to you.

The counter is that the team is in Win Now mode, so picks will be spent to fill out the roster. But a team in Win Now finishing 20th is a problem.
There hasn't really been a huge deficit of picks though.

In 2013 we picked 8 times in a 7 round draft including 3 times in the 1st round. Since then we've acquired two more players who went in that first round (Lazar/Shinkaruk.)

In 2014 we picked 6 times in a 7 round draft including 3 times in the first two rounds.

In 2015 we took a definite hit on picks but acquired a young top pairing defenseman. Anyone who wants the 1st and two 2nds back for Hamilton is crazy IMO. We still drafted 5 times in 7 rounds including twice in the 2nd getting Andersson and Kylington

In 2016 we picked 9 times in a 7 round draft including 3 times in the first two rounds.

In 2017 we picked 5 times in a 7 round draft.

As well somewhat offsetting the price paid for Hamonic, Smith, Elliott, Stone and Hamilton is the fact that the Flames traded:
-Russell for a conditional 2nd/1st
-Hudler for a 2nd and a 4th
-Baertschi for a 2nd
-Glencross for a 2nd and a 3rd
-Berra for a 2nd
-Stempniak for a 3rd
-Jackman for a 6th
-Comeau for a 5th
-Bouwmeester for a 1st
-Iginla for a 1st

There hasn't really been a deficit of picks if you look at the rebuild overall. And the strength of some of the picks (Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk, Valimaki, Kylington, Andersson, Fox, Dube, Parsons, etc) has meant the system has been very well stocked for the most part.

Does it sting not having picks in the first 3 rounds this year at the moment? A bit. But it stings a lot less knowing we've recently drafted some of the kids I mentioned above. It stings a lot less knowing Treliving has premium assets available at every position to use to trade for our currents needs.

I don't really see an issue. And you know I'm a big fan of drafting and development. The Flames have really hit well on a lot of their 1st and 2nd rounders during the rebuild. The Flames have accumulated a tremendous wealth of young assets on the NHL roster and in the system such that the team has the most assets we've ever had in my time of following the team the last 25 years. The bottom line is that we could afford to give up some picks because we hit on a bunch and we had acquired a bunch.

Rebuild is going great IMO. We have a nucleus of young star NHLers (Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk) supplemented by some great complimentary players (Backlund, Ferland, Lazar, Foo) and some kids who have fantastic potential that haven't quite topped out yet (Bennet, Jankowski). On the blue line we have an embarrassment of riches with having a fantastic top 6 (Gio, Hamilton, Brodie, Hamonic, Stone, Kulak) while being extremely deep in high end prospects on the blue line (Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington, Fox.) In goal we've got 3 great young goalies (Gillies, Parsons, Rittich.)

Crying over a few traded picks makes no sense to me. The rebuild went extremely well and frankly I'd rather have Hamilton/Hamonic than a few more picks. Arguably the Hamilton trade accelerated the rebuild rather than hurt it. Acquiring a player in their early 20's for picks is still a rebuilding move, just shortcuts a few years of development.

Your narrative that there is somehow an issue with the Hamilton and Hamonic trades makes no sense to me personally. We're deeper at every position than we've ever been in my time of following the team. The rebuild went great. What's the problem?

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-18-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #83
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The issue is the Flames spent 2 x 1st round picks and 4 x 2nd round picks for their #2 and #4 d-men. In a league where the foundation of success has become drafting and development you can't sustain a deficit of picks for long without it catching up to you.

The counter is that the team is in Win Now mode, so picks will be spent to fill out the roster. But a team in Win Now finishing 20th is a problem.
I'd argue that your #2 is a long term #1 given his age and Gio's age, and that your #4 is actually the #3 purely based on performance and responsibilities.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote