Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #781
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Well, that was anti climactic.

Garbage time being played by all the subs on both sides, with no one trying.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:32 PM   #782
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1005304850656133121

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #783
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I could be wrong (usually am) but I don’t think Warriors are getting any better. I don’t believe Rockets are serious candidates for LeBron but I believe there could be 3 or 4 possible challengers for it all next year. LeBron, Celtics, 76ers, Rockets...

I mean there was no doubt the Bulls would win all those championships but that great NBA basketball.
Do they need to get much better? Curry, Durant, Green and Thompson are all in their primes. They might lose a bit of depth this offseason, but there will of course be ring chasers who will take the vet minimum or mid-level exception to go play there. Of course there is one way they could get better: Trade Klay to open up room to sign LeBron. Imagine the NBA Twitter meltdown if that happened? And it's not all that preposterous to think either, Klay is a UFA next summer, so trading him now makes the absolute most sense, especially if you can get LeBron.

Now on paper the Rockets seem unlikely, but Morey is a creative guy and CP3 might want a ring so badly he takes less to accommodate bringing LeBron in. No state tax also helps LeBron take "less", but still make the same or more as playing in say California or Massachusetts or Pennsylvania. You could also sign and trade Capela and picks to get LeBron as well. There are definitely ways to get it done, and if any GM is crazy enough to find a way, it's Morey. But if they can't get LeBron, they really don't have many ways to get much better either, and this year is probably the peak of what the Rockets can be.

Really though as we saw this year, the Warriors are playing against themselves, against boredom. When engaged, they simply cannot be stopped because they have three all-time great shooters and you can't double everyone. They play strong defensively, and have a great coach. It'll be another offseason of trying to figure out who the next superteam will be. I'm still thinking the Celtics need to go all in with their assets and find a way to have LeBron and AD next year.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #784
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1551388

Report: Pistons hire Dwane Casey as head coach with a 5-yr deal
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #785
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 5 year contract is a little much for any coach. I guess he was a hot commodity.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #786
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Casey is a quality coach, he wasn't fired because of his coaching ability, he was fired because it was the only way to make meaningful change given how the roster is made up. He's not perfect, but he's better than a good 20 or so coaches in the league. Raps still searching, apparently it's down to Nick Nurse and Ettore Messina. I was hoping they'd go the bold route for Sarunas Jasikevicius, but he's probably a guy you'd wanna give a rebuilding team too.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #787
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Per Woj, looks like Raptors are hiring Nick Nurse. I like it, he's a good offensive coach that will hopefully minimize hero/iso ball. Let's see if he can make the in game/series adjustments where Casey failed.

Last edited by pria(kin)16; 06-12-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Failed miserably at embedding tweet
pria(kin)16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #788
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, he is part of the whole coaching staff that failed to adapt. If he put forward ideas and plans to Casey that were ignored, then yes he will be a breath of fresh air. Sure there will be some changes, but it seems to me to be more of the same. Perhaps, with the increase in regular season success, that is what is wanted
Old 06-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #789
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting...

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1557284
Report: 'No love lost' between Casey, Nurse amid Raptors' coaching change
Old 06-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #790
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1557833
Raptors officially name Nick Nurse head coach
Old 06-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #791
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should be a fun offseason

https://twitter.com/user/status/1007673677842767872
Old 06-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #792
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/sta...91378850131969

Thank god
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #793
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
It could be a good draft to try to trade into, as there are a lot of lottery teams that have pressure to try to win now... Knicks with Porzingas who doesn't want to keep playing for a loser, Cavs obviously trying to keep LeBron, Philly who's moving quickly into a contender phase, Memphis who may not want to squander the last couple years of a Gasol/Conley core, Clippers who will likely keep one but maybe not both of their picks, Hornets want to give Walker a legit star to play beside... Raptors could explore a trade with any of those teams.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #794
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've said it before and say it again, their main priority should be to get equal value for Lowry, if anyone should be dealt. He has value but he's not a franchise player. Him and Ibaka if value brought back should allow the Raps to retool nicely I'd think. So many directions they can go.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #795
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I've said it before and say it again, their main priority should be to get equal value for Lowry, if anyone should be dealt. He has value but he's not a franchise player. Him and Ibaka if value brought back should allow the Raps to retool nicely I'd think. So many directions they can go.
With rumours of Raptors having an eye on SGA in the draft (who's a Canadian, Hamilton kid by the way), it makes sense that they're looking at moving Lowry. SGA is kinda like Wright, although with a bit more upside but less experience, and obviously they can't keep Wright, Lowry, FVV, plus SGA on the roster (could put SGA in the G-league for a year). Wright, FVV, and SGA would be a really intriguing and versatile guard combination; lots of length and defence. If they can get rid of Lowry for a pick around #10, avoid taking much salary back so that they can resign FVV, that's really solid for them.

Getting rid of Ibaka is going to be tough; they might have to settle for a swap of a similarly bad contract.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #796
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

To give you an idea of Lowry's value right now, one of the more plausible trade ideas out there is Lowry to Utah for Rubio and Alec Burks. Which is, let's face it, an abysmal trade for the Raptors. In all honesty something like Lowry for Lonzo+ might be the best case scenario, and that's horrific too. Just don't see a logical trade partner for Lowry. Too old, not a great contract, will get fat again and stop trying if he's not dealt to a contender or near contender. Basically stuck with him. DeRozan remains the Raptors best trade asset, and getting even value there will be very difficult.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #797
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

DeRozan will get great value, I'm sure of that. The guy was great this year aside from the last 4 games in the playoffs. There are very few players who were that aggressive this year taking it to the basket and I don't think the Raps should deal him personally. To me, there is no doubt because of his somewhat unique skillset shown this year that there would be an ample amount of suitors.

You're probably right about Lowry though. If that's your likely trade scenario, I'd rather keep him and see what else is out there because either of those scenarios doesn't help you in a rebuilding or retooling phase.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #798
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Preparing for the raptors to do nothing today and then for them to come out and say they tried their best to get in the top 10. Then Rinse and repeat this past season.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #799
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spurs probably don’t want to rebuild and neither do the raptors.

Wonder if either side would look at something around Derozan and Leonard.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #800
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just watch games and dont pay attention otherwise, where did the Raps draft picks go?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire them all , i'm better than ibaka , kawhi so serious? , lebronto , time to go nuclear