Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #221
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
This is "blaming the victim" logic and it is wrong. We know nothing about this passenger's mental condition, personal condition, health condition, state of mind etc. He did nothing wrong. He had a ticket to the flight, boarded the plane as instructed and was challenged to leave for absolutely no good reason. The four United employees did not have tickets. How can anyone blame or even simply question this guy's reaction or behaviour?

There was nothing right about what United has done in the situation, zero. Let's recap:

1. United screwed up scheduling their own crew that needed to be rushed to another airport.
  2. United placed them on the fully-booked flight.
  3. United favoured four of their own employees bumping paid customers.
  4. United severely low-balled the offer to volunteers in the waiting area starting at $400 instead of the government-approved maximum of $1,350 and easily averting the consequences.
  5. United allowed all passengers to board the plane.
  6. United put passengers in stress of worrying about being bumped and even then did not offer the maximum compensation amount, when it was clear that nobody wanted to volunteer.
  7. United then brought in police/security guards to forcibly remove and physically harm the passenger who was clearly in distress about it.
  8. United's reaction was horrible all together. Instead of apologizing unconditionally for this disaster, the CEO did not even apologize to the passenger.
Why is anyone questioning this poor man's reaction?
#5 is the part I don't understand. Whomever made that decision should be looking for work.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #222
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is "blaming the victim" logic and it is wrong. We know nothing about this passenger's mental condition, personal condition, health condition, state of mind etc. He did nothing wrong. He had a ticket to the flight, boarded the plane as instructed and was challenged to leave for absolutely no good reason. The four United employees did not have tickets. How can anyone blame or even simply question this guy's reaction or behaviour?

There was nothing right about what United has done in the situation, zero. Let's recap:

1. United screwed up scheduling their own crew that needed to be rushed to another airport.
  4. United severely low-balled the offer to volunteers in the waiting area starting at $400 instead of the government-approved maximum of $1,350 and easily averting the consequences.
  6. United put passengers in stress of worrying about being bumped and even then did not offer the maximum compensation amount, when it was clear that nobody wanted to volunteer.
  7. United then brought in police/security guards to forcibly remove and physically harm the passenger who was clearly in distress about it.
  8. United's reaction was horrible all together. Instead of apologizing unconditionally for this disaster, the CEO did not even apologize to the passenger.
Nobody is denying that United messed up. They shouldn't have let the passengers on the plane but once they did it had to be dealt with. For the plane to take off some people had to get off. There was no other solution. People had to get off the plane! Nobody is defending the airline for crying out loud. This is a matter of an adult putting himself above others and not cooperating with authority. Two wrongs don't make a right. It sucks for sure to be delayed as I've spent my share of time sleeping in airport seats but life goes on.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #223
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Hey atleast he wasn't brown. Then we'd be talking about race, religion, and his legal status of being in the country.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #224
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
#5 is the part I don't understand. Whomever made that decision should be looking for work.
Yeah. Don't forget about 3 hours it took to get everyone off the plane and clean the blood after the incident. I wonder if the crew made it to their next flight in time and good spirits.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #225
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because we don't agree with it?

Not agreeing with how he handled the situation doesn't be default mean you agree with how United handled the situation.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #226
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
This poor man, won't someone think of him.
Yes, that's what almost everyone who has heard this story is doing. Literally millions of people are thinking of him for what he went through. You say that like you're on the majority side of public opinion.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #227
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

He's not the first person to ever get bumped off a flight. Three people before him got bumped and didn't cause the same ruckus this guy did even though I'm sure they were all unhappy and equally inconvenienced.

Whether or not Airlines should be allowed to overbook is a separate discussion. The fact is they do, and they tell you they do when you buy your ticket. This guy had every right to be upset, to complain, to never fly United again, to ask for more compensation, all of that. What he did not have the right to do was insist on keeping his seat in the face of the reality that that plane was not leaving with him on it.

Most of this is United's fault, but the guy should've just left the plane.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #228
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Because we don't agree with it?

Not agreeing with how he handled the situation doesn't be default mean you agree with how United handled the situation.
I understand that his reaction might seem awkward. If it was me, I wouldn't have screamed and just left. But it is a bad assumption to make, because we do not know anything about this guy's personal circumstances. Think Rainman.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #229
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

The guy could have left the plane if the security officer wouldn't have thrashed him against the seat.

Why did they need to resort to violence in the first place? And with that many people around, that puts everyone there at risk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #230
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I understand that his reaction might seem awkward. If it was me, I wouldn't have screamed and just left. But it is a bad assumption to make, because we do not know anything about this guy's personal circumstances. Think Rainman.
So he is an autistic doctor?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #231
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nobody is denying that United messed up. They shouldn't have let the passengers on the plane but once they did it had to be dealt with. For the plane to take off some people had to get off. There was no other solution. People had to get off the plane! Nobody is defending the airline for crying out loud. This is a matter of an adult putting himself above others and not cooperating with authority. Two wrongs don't make a right. It sucks for sure to be delayed as I've spent my share of time sleeping in airport seats but life goes on.
Are you really taking this position??http://forumcdn.calgarypuck.com/imag...lies/blink.gif
United should have kept increasing the rewards until someone agreed. The business practice of reneging on a sale to give preferential treatment to your own employees is bad enough. Violently assaulting your customers because they disagree and elected to not take United's offer was even worse.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #232
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yes, that's what almost everyone who has heard this story is doing. Literally millions of people are thinking of him for what he went through. You say that like you're on the majority side of public opinion.
Just because you are the majority doesn't' make you right. What about the other random people that were picked lets think about them, we don't because they did the right thing and got off the plane.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #233
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
So he is an autistic doctor?
That's Dr Rainman to you definitely Dr.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #234
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So right now would be a great time to fly United.
I bet you get the ultimate treatment.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #235
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
Are you really taking this position??http://forumcdn.calgarypuck.com/imag...lies/blink.gif
United should have kept increasing the rewards until someone agreed. The business practice of reneging on a sale to give preferential treatment to your own employees is bad enough. Violently assaulting your customers because they disagree and elected to not take United's offer was even worse.
Yes I am. I expect adults to act like adults. As has been said this happens all the time yet this is the lone time it's made front page news. Why is that? Because of the actions of this man refusing to get off the plane after being asked. Really the only good to come of this is that the airline will hopefully have a better procedure for handling this in the future. I understand in this day of internet, titter, facebook, etc that people like to be outraged about stuff like this but I simply can't agree with this man taking that stance the he wouldn't get off.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #236
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
So right now would be a great time to fly United.
I bet you get the ultimate treatment.
Warrior or Fighting Championship?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #237
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #238
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
that's right. he may have had to get somewhere to trade drugs for sex or illegally prescribe painkillers. who knows?

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2.../22717141.html
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #239
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
that's right. he may have had to get somewhere to trade drugs for sex or illegally prescribe painkillers. who knows?

Oh okay, that makes sense then. Too bad they didn't bloody him further!
Old 04-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #240
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

I for one am glad that United does thorough background checks of passenger lives before physically assaulting them and treating them in this manner.

/s

In the context of United Airline's treatment of their customers, I kinda don't give a #### about his background history.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: