Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #8541
Phil1111
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
It was probably that 05-06 season when we had arguably the NHL's top forward, top goalie, and an improved supporting cast coming out of the lockout after our Cup run.

And we all know how the Oilers did that season.

Maybe it's better when they're hyped more than the Flames.
The Edmonton journal finally got the facts right. A week ago the Oilers were the toast of the city. A Hurricane arrived and brought destruction to all those ideas.Yesterday's story on the loss doused the enthusiasm with heavy rain.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 AM   #8542
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
...Way ahead of the curb.

Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #8543
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if a Mr. Meeseeks could get rid of the oilers.. it's not like we would be asking to take 2 strokes off of our golf game.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #8544
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Ugh.
Sorry, curve. Ahead of the curve. Don't have an aneurysm please. I was in late night autopilot..
Old 09-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #8545
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I wonder if a Mr. Meeseeks could get rid of the oilers.. it's not like we would be asking to take 2 strokes off of our golf game.
I dunno. Might want to keep the requests simple. They're not gods.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #8546
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1111 View Post
I like Ron but thats funny.

I didn’t mind him until this year’s playoffs when he became an Oilers cheerleader and became as annoying as Jim Hughson with the Canucks. If you’re going to show your bias when the Oilers are playing fine but when they aren’t STFU and show some professionalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #8547
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
I don't like Ron.
Ron is horrible, there's some kind of idea that Ron is some kind of national treasure and the face of hockey night in Canada, but the guy knows nothing about hockey, he sits there with a stupid look on his face half the time, and I look forward to the annual Gary Bettman comes on the show and completely exposes Ron for the idiot that he is.

I was really hoping that when the CBC contract expired and they moved to Rogers that Ron would be given a nice apple and a kick in the a$$ future endeavors moment.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #8548
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Speaking of national treasures Cherry can go as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azhouse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #8549
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I was really hoping that when the CBC contract expired and they moved to Rogers that Ron would be given a nice apple and a kick in the a$$ future endeavors moment.
They actually tried to send Ron packing. He was given the Hometown Hockey gig and off he went. But a bunch of old people stuck in their ways and adverse to change (both in the public at large and at Rogers) hated the new guy, so here we are.

And yes, him sitting down for his yearly schooling at the hands of Bettman is also a favorite of mine too.

Not trying to derail the thread but they (Rogers) are trying to move Ron out again, slowly this time, by grooming David Amber for the role. Giving him the late game, gauging public response I assume.

Last edited by Toonage; 09-26-2017 at 10:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #8550
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd take skinny pants over Maclean any day.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Azhouse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #8551
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ron and Don are just old and stale....time for them to retire.
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 12:08 PM   #8552
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Ron and Don are just old and stale....time for them to retire.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #8553
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ron looks like he's closer to 70 than 60 but I believe he's only 57. I still remember him doing early Flames 2&7 broadcasts so I would have thought he's older. Problem is not that he looks old it's that his act has worn paper thin over the years as he's hosted HNIC for 30 years. 30 years!!!! There is an expiry date for everything and Don and Ron both expired a decade ago and they both stink like spoiled milk.

Honestly is there another professional sport that has run with the same TV personalities for this long? I can think of Madden but he was just a color guy not a host and kind of the face of the league with the video game, etc. Otherwise other leagues do a much better job bringing in fresh faces over the decades to keep relevant. NFL is always firing through new coaches and players into their TV ranks as does NBA. I have this bad feeling in 30 years Kick Kypreos will still be doing HNIC as it's just the way the station rolls.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-26-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #8554
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ron is horrible, there's some kind of idea that Ron is some kind of national treasure and the face of hockey night in Canada, but the guy knows nothing about hockey
Seriously? I don't mind the guy most of the time though I can appreciate why others don't. But to suggest he knows nothing about hockey? That's just asinine. You can disagree with his opinions or dislike his personality all you want, but a guy doesn't last three decades as the host of the flagship hockey broadcast in the premier hockey nation on earth if he knows nothing about hockey.

Last edited by Ruttiger; 09-27-2017 at 08:29 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #8555
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Seriously? I don't mind the guy most of the time but I can appreciate why others don't. But to suggest he knows nothing about hockey? That's just asinine. You can disagree with his opinions or dislike his personality all you want, but a guy doesn't last three decades as the host of the flagship hockey broadcast in the premier hockey nation on earth if he knows nothing about hockey.
He knows hockey players, and hockey history. He knows very little about strategy, team management, skills, etc, based on the little analysis he ever does. He probably knows less than he used to just by osmosis from Cherry.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #8556
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Seriously? I don't mind the guy most of the time but I can appreciate why others don't. But to suggest he knows nothing about hockey? That's just asinine. You can disagree with his opinions or dislike his personality all you want, but a guy doesn't last three decades as the host of the flagship hockey broadcast in the premier hockey nation on earth if he knows nothing about hockey.
He knows 'Hockey History' but I think his current grasp on Hockey is outdated and lacking.

He can tell you who won the 1983 WHL Championship and who scored the winning goal, who the referees were and their opinions on the matter and who assisted it and who drove that guy to the rink that day was and what his billets' pre-game meal was and what Phil Esposito had to say about the entire affair but I think his knowledge about the NHL currently is poor.

As is evidenced by his annual ass-kicking by Gary Bettman and his persistence that the Edmonton Oilers are going to be a Dynasty again without acknowledging that the only thing the Oilers have won recently have been lotteries and that the Salary-Cap effectively killed the concept of the Historical 'Dynasty.'

Its long past time for Ron and Don to have been put out to pasture.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #8557
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ron is horrible, there's some kind of idea that Ron is some kind of national treasure and the face of hockey night in Canada, but the guy knows nothing about hockey, he sits there with a stupid look on his face half the time, and I look forward to the annual Gary Bettman comes on the show and completely exposes Ron for the idiot that he is.

I equate Ron to Tim Hortons. For some inexplicable reason they are looked at as some sort of Canadian past times. The reality is that one’s a Brazilian owned company and the other is an Oilers fan with a big ego. Canada can do much better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #8558
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Honestly is there another professional sport that has run with the same TV personalities for this long?
Same league, Mike Emerick sort of fits that bill, albeit not for the same channel.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #8559
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Edit - My mistake!! Apparently Chris Berman has a reduced role and a new deal with ESPN? Sorry, thats my error.

Last edited by Toonage; 09-26-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #8560
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

ESPN fired Berman? When did that happen?