Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default TV sound 101: setting up tv and device sound for a beginner

Hi everyone,

I am a super beginner/don't know what I'm doing - full disclosure up front.

I have the following devices - can I make them all play sound via my old stereo?

-tv: only a couple years old - I.e. has HDMI. Does have RCA connectors on back.
-ps3: connected to a HDMI switch then to tv via HDMI, sound from ps3 to stereo via RCA cable connector thing.
-roku: HDMI connection only. Connected via HDMI to switch then to tv via HDMI. Sound only plays via tv speakers.
-shaw cable box: super basic HD box - Shaw Arris. No PVR etc, all it does is allow HD tv. Connected to switch then to tv via HDMI cord. Sound via tv speakers or, with a cord switch (see below), I can play sound via old stereo.
-old stereo: probably 10ish years old. Connect to it via RCA cords (via an adapter - run 2 RCA cords to a little connector, which makes it a single plug in to the stereo). Right now I can play the ps3 sound or tv sound via my old stereo - I just have to unplug say the ps3 RCA's from the little stereo connector, connect the tv RCA's to the little connector, and plug in the single plug into the stereo.

My question: can I play all sound - every device - via my old stereo? I am ok if I have to manually change rca cords for the little stereo connector plug. We aren't massive tv watchers by any means.

I subscribe to MLB.tv. I used to watch via ps3 (stereo sound) but now that is no longer supported so I watch through the Roku...which now only gives me tv speaker sound.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without replacing your old stereo:
Does your TV have optical audio out / stereo have optical audio in?

If so, then the solution is to connect all your devices to your television and use that as your primary method of source switching. Configure the TV to send the audio out using the optical out and set your stereo to the optical in source.

If the TV does RCA out, then theoretically you could do RCA out to the stereo, but you'll get lower quality audio for protected sources such as Blu-ray.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stereo does not have optical connection.

I've tried running RCA cables straight from tv to stereo but I can never get it to work - i.e. no sound transfer to the stereo.

Oh well. I thought maybe u could run RCA sound through the Shaw cable box somehow, but haven't been able to figure that out either. So I assume it's not possible.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Stereo does not have optical connection.

I've tried running RCA cables straight from tv to stereo but I can never get it to work - i.e. no sound transfer to the stereo.

Oh well. I thought maybe u could run RCA sound through the Shaw cable box somehow, but haven't been able to figure that out either. So I assume it's not possible.
What model of TV do you have? You should be able to configure the TV to output to a receiver, but by what methods the TV permits are the catch. Some only allow digital such as HDMI or optical, others allow RCA, 3.5mm stereo, etc. Again, this is largely dependent on the model of TV.

Alternately, you can buy a refurbished Denon off of eBay for a steal, use HDMI-ARC, and save yourself the hassle.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Buy a new amp, use HDMI to hook up in less than a half hour.

Crack a beer, enjoy home theatre.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #6
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a super beginner/don't know what I'm doing - full disclosure up front.

I have the following devices - can I make them all play sound via my old stereo?

-tv: only a couple years old - I.e. has HDMI. Does have RCA connectors on back.
-ps3: connected to a HDMI switch then to tv via HDMI, sound from ps3 to stereo via RCA cable connector thing.
-roku: HDMI connection only. Connected via HDMI to switch then to tv via HDMI. Sound only plays via tv speakers.
-shaw cable box: super basic HD box - Shaw Arris. No PVR etc, all it does is allow HD tv. Connected to switch then to tv via HDMI cord. Sound via tv speakers or, with a cord switch (see below), I can play sound via old stereo.
-old stereo: probably 10ish years old. Connect to it via RCA cords (via an adapter - run 2 RCA cords to a little connector, which makes it a single plug in to the stereo). Right now I can play the ps3 sound or tv sound via my old stereo - I just have to unplug say the ps3 RCA's from the little stereo connector, connect the tv RCA's to the little connector, and plug in the single plug into the stereo.

My question: can I play all sound - every device - via my old stereo? I am ok if I have to manually change rca cords for the little stereo connector plug. We aren't massive tv watchers by any means.

I subscribe to MLB.tv. I used to watch via ps3 (stereo sound) but now that is no longer supported so I watch through the Roku...which now only gives me tv speaker sound.

There are options, the easiest of which is to pick up a new receiver (I'm partial to Pioneer, Marantz, and Emotiva stuff), but it sounds like you don't mind your old one beyond features. So an HDMI Pass-through with Analog Audio Out could work for you, something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Extractor-Spli.../dp/B00ISQ8VB8

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 10:00 PM   #7
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
There are options, the easiest of which is to pick up a new receiver (I'm partial to Pioneer, Marantz, and Emotiva stuff), but it sounds like you don't mind your old one beyond features. So an HDMI Pass-through with Analog Audio Out could work for you, something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Extractor-Spli.../dp/B00ISQ8VB8
That could work; have all HDMI devices plugged into the HDMI switch, then the analog-out to the stereo and the HDMI out to the TV.

HDCP will definitely crap the bed, so no lossless audio tracks will be available, but eh.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 10:53 PM   #8
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the replies and ideas, I appreciate it.

Looking over options, I feel a little better about my lack of knowledge as I thought there would be something super obvious I was missing - as in no extra equipment type of obvious.

That said, I was hoping for something super cheap - the pass through would be this.

But, that said, I'm tempted just to wait until my stereo finishes crapping the bed (nothing else works on it but running sound through it).

In this case would a basic sound bar work? I have an optical connection on my tv. Would sound from ally devices play through a sound bar that way? .

It's pretty basic sound wise, all I'm looking for is a (tiny) step up from the world of tv speaker - for an efficient price point.

Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #9
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

A soundbar should work just fine using optical from the TV.

Hell, some of them even come with paired subwoofers, which is a nice touch.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 07-04-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How super cheap? I picked up a used Denon on Kijiji for $125 with arc for my secondary setup and it does everything you need.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: