Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #1261
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

+1 for double sinks being awesome.

I put one in a decent size bathroom and it was so great! If you have the room and won't be sardines trying to brush your teeth at the same time I highly recommend it.

It's one of those things you don't need until you've had one and then don't know how you lived without!
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #1262
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

The double sink would be great.

Both want to brush your teeth? No problem!

Both need to pee? No problem!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #1263
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
The double sink would be great.

Both want to brush your teeth? No problem!

Both need to pee? No problem!
Staples is that you?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:03 PM   #1264
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
What are you guys' opinions on a tub/shower combo in an ensuite?

Looking at getting some renovation quotes. Our current set-up has the never-used oversized jetted soaker tub and a separate shower.

If we combined it into a regular tub/shower combo we'd save a whole bunch of space then we'd be able to extend our vanity and countertop to add a double sink and storage.

Thoughts?

We're real practical so the tub/shower combo doesn't bother us but more thinking of re-sale in the future. Would this be a deal breaker for some people?
Double sinks = Good resale
Extra Storage = Good resale
Separate Tub/shower w/ jet tub = Good resale

Depends on your needs and what else is in the house.
-If it's the only jetted tub, I'd keep it for resale over a tub/shower combo.
-If you're set on getting a double vanity + storage, I'd get a glamorous walk-in shower and forgo the tub/shower combo. They are currently not good bang-for-buck on resale, unless it's the only tub in the house in which case you should keep it for people with dogs and babies.

While you're making your renos, consider if it's possible/worth to add windows/skylights if you don't have them in your ensuite. Natural lighting is a major seller.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #1265
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
I'm looking through and trying to compare some renovation quotes and am trying to compare window packages. Are there any brands to stay away from or should I be concentrating on the type of windows proposed instead of brand (the two quotes I am looking at right now propose Lux and Ply-Gem)

I am all for spending the money to get good windows, but really have no idea what I'm looking at.
I'm a big fan of Supreme Windows. They did our windows and did a great job. The lead time was pretty quick but we changed ours in winter when not many people consider that type of work. They custom make all their windows in their shop in Calgary.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #1266
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So question about window replacements, how much of the interior and exterior work is fixed, e.g.) is stucco or trim redone? Or do we need to coordinate this with somebody else?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #1267
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So question about window replacements, how much of the interior and exterior work is fixed, e.g.) is stucco or trim redone? Or do we need to coordinate this with somebody else?
Everything was taken care of when mine were done. Didn't need to coordinate any other work.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #1268
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
If you have un-trimmed stucco (ie nothing besides the window brickmold), just a heads up there will likely be some crunks of stucco that break off. Most companies will patch large chunks, and just use their silicone to cover smaller ones. Built in risk they can't really prevent.

I've always used Gienow (Ply-Gem windows), great install crews, and their prices for aluminum clad vinyl are excellent (some brands the cladding jumps price by 30-40%, which is crazy).
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 09:15 PM   #1269
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I had 4 separate quotes all around 15k for my deck last summer.

I actually thought they met for beers and colluded to charge me the same price.

I know there's labor involved but 15k total for 2 k worth of lumber is insane.

I can take a week off of work this summer, do it myself and still be in the black.
How big of deck? I got a quote for 2 decks a few years ago (8'x4' w/ stairs and 15'x12' w/ stairs) and had prices ranging from $7,000 to $20,000. I ended up building them both myself and my lumber (all cedar) and supplies alone came to $7,000. (Yes, my lowest quote was the same price as the materials ended up costing me. Clearly they underbid and would not have been able to get the job done for that price.) So depending on the size of your deck $2,000 for lumber and materials is probably low and $15,000 for labour and lumber doesn't seem crazy.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #1270
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep in mind cedar prices are through the roof right now. Just had my deck done, and the price alone for the thick cedar pergola was astronomical.

$15k sounds about right for a decent size composite deck at grade. Mine was a 240sq ft second story deck with a landing in a rock garden halfway (so lots of stairs), and was just under $25k for good composite with the aformentioned pergola.

Last edited by Ducay; 05-07-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #1271
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally got around to changing my furnace filter and cleaning my humidifier and I was shocked at how filthy my furnace filter was. My humidifier was pretty much clogged solid with calcium deposits and that would explain why I've been waking up with a really dry and sore throat for the last little while. The humidifier really wasn't doing anything any more.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #1272
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Three years ago when we built our house we had asked the builders to put a natural gas outlet to the patio so that we could hook up a natural gas powered device (e.g. BBQ). In the initial house plans they had the outlet in the middle of the back of the house. When the building was complete it was on the far left. We told them, they corrected it but put it on the far right. We told them again and they finally put it in the middle. So right now we have three natural gas outlets on the back of the house.

We're ready to buy a natural gas BBQ. Is it as simple as hooking up the BBQ to one of these outlets, turning the valve and away we go? Is there a way to check if gas is actually going through these things? I looked at the ceiling of our undeveloped basement and there are three yellow pipes going to the back of the house which I'm assuming are the gas lines. I just don't know if they've blocked these or anything (or if that's possible).
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #1273
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I finally got around to changing my furnace filter and cleaning my humidifier and I was shocked at how filthy my furnace filter was. My humidifier was pretty much clogged solid with calcium deposits and that would explain why I've been waking up with a really dry and sore throat for the last little while. The humidifier really wasn't doing anything any more.
Only 1 call to make.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=104907
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #1274
flamingchina
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One of the covers on my fixtures above the sink has fallen off and I'm having some issues finding new ones.
Anyone know who might have just the covers? Everything seems to be built in LED now.
http://imgur.com/a/vlUUq
flamingchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #1275
lazy_programmer
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Three years ago when we built our house we had asked the builders to put a natural gas outlet to the patio so that we could hook up a natural gas powered device (e.g. BBQ). In the initial house plans they had the outlet in the middle of the back of the house. When the building was complete it was on the far left. We told them, they corrected it but put it on the far right. We told them again and they finally put it in the middle. So right now we have three natural gas outlets on the back of the house.

We're ready to buy a natural gas BBQ. Is it as simple as hooking up the BBQ to one of these outlets, turning the valve and away we go? Is there a way to check if gas is actually going through these things? I looked at the ceiling of our undeveloped basement and there are three yellow pipes going to the back of the house which I'm assuming are the gas lines. I just don't know if they've blocked these or anything (or if that's possible).
When the builder did my house, I had to buy and install a quick connect/disconnect coupler to the hookup. In this image: https://www.handymanhowto.com/wp-con...t-Coupling.jpg it's labeled quick disconnect coupling. The hose that typically comes with your bbq will need that connection type. It's pretty easy to install, just apply the appropriate sealant (like pipe dope) around the threads and screw on the coupler, test for leaks by brushing some soapy water around the connection and open the gas value. If no bubbles appear, you connection is good.
lazy_programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazy_programmer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #1276
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anybody know how much it would cost to create an open-concept kitchen? I'm talking about in one of those common 1950/60's bungalows.

What would be the price above and beyond a normal kitchen renovation. E.g. closed kitchen renovation vs open kitchen renovation. Is the wall load bearing or is there load bearing pole inside?
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d00little For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2017, 04:35 PM   #1277
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let me know when you find out, that's my next project....
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #1278
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Let me know when you find out, that's my next project....
Ditto.
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #1279
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
does anybody know how much it would cost to create an open-concept kitchen? I'm talking about in one of those common 1950/60's bungalows.

What would be the price above and beyond a normal kitchen renovation. E.g. Closed kitchen renovation vs open kitchen renovation. Is the wall load bearing or is there load bearing pole inside?
30-100k
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
V
Old 05-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #1280
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
30-100k
+ or- 50k?