Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #461
newgame99
Draft Pick

Thanks a lot Hesla for your help, greatly appreciated. I went back to the Optician and he did make an adjustment to my glasses. I can move my head a bit more now without affecting my vision but its not perfect.

With my old glasses, this problem didn't really exist although it was almost the same prescription (-5.00) and I did mention this to the Optician. He said it was due its shape, which is oval. New glasses are rectangle shaped but they are not very large glasses. The Optician also said its common for this to happen with people who have high prescription like me (-5.25).

Based on my research I think its due to the fact its 1.67 index glasses, if I knew this I wouldn't have gotten 1.67 index glasses. However, I remember asking one of the employees (a student Optician) if there any disadvantages between 1.67 and 1.6, and he said no.
newgame99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #462
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Anybody have progressive lenses?

I am a 45 year old who has never worn glasses. All of a sudden I'm told my best bet is progressive lenses. That surprised me a bit. I was thinking I'd need a weak prescription for distance and I'd get a pair of over the counters for reading when I really needed them.

Anyway, my question is how long did it take you to get used to them? Not having worn glasses before I'm nervous that I'm going to struggle mightily with progressive lenses. I don't want contacts so that's out. My thoughts right now are to spend the money at the optometrist's office and get what they recommend. Then I can order a couple cheaper versions online later if I want.

Hesla, I'm no longer in Calgary or you'd be my guy!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #463
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't feel like scrolling through the whole thread but where can I get some cosplay prescription contact lenses online? and ones that I can wear for more than just a day? thanks.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #464
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Anybody have progressive lenses?

I am a 45 year old who has never worn glasses. All of a sudden I'm told my best bet is progressive lenses. That surprised me a bit. I was thinking I'd need a weak prescription for distance and I'd get a pair of over the counters for reading when I really needed them.

Anyway, my question is how long did it take you to get used to them? Not having worn glasses before I'm nervous that I'm going to struggle mightily with progressive lenses. I don't want contacts so that's out. My thoughts right now are to spend the money at the optometrist's office and get what they recommend. Then I can order a couple cheaper versions online later if I want.

Hesla, I'm no longer in Calgary or you'd be my guy!

Everyone's progressive lens experience is different. With the more modern designs (digital/Freeform) it is much easier to adapt to them. Good call on getting a set from the Optometrist office. It is more likely to be measured properly as well as adjusted to you. It is a big pain in the butt to use cheaters as you have to constantly pop them off and on. Progressives give you the chance to just put them on and leave them on for times when you are working at multiple working distances at the same time (eg. In the office). You would still likely only be a part time wearer as your prescription is minor. Nice to have the option though.

Honestly, you are going to find the online progressives lower quality with much narrower reading and computer zones. You likely would just end up using your good pair all the time. I would instead get a set of single vision readers for in bed and/or a set of distance only for night driving. Although maybe start with the progressives only to see if those are even necessary.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #465
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
I don't feel like scrolling through the whole thread but where can I get some cosplay prescription contact lenses online? and ones that I can wear for more than just a day? thanks.
Often these lenses are quite unhealthy and I do not recommend them. However, I can't stop you from using them and in short periods of time they are ok. I will let someone else let you know where to get them as I don't have a clue. I have a few patients that use them but they have done a proper CL training in office first to learn how to properly care for them and when to know that there is a problem.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #466
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Wondering what I should do for my 5 year old daughter.

Took her in for an eye exam and she had some trouble reading the images on the screen. Were told to come back so they could put drops in her eyes and redo the exam. Did that and still a bit of trouble on the smallest row of images.

Optometrist sort of suggested that glasses were an option, but it was more of a wishy-washy recommendation.

We have seen no signs of squinting, she doesnt have trouble reading, and we asked her teacher at parent teacher interviews if she had noticed anything. So far no problems except for during the eye exam(s).

Would you recommend going for a second opinion, doing nothing, or proceeding on the glasses route?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #467
Knut

Exp:
Icon42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
Wondering what I should do for my 5 year old daughter.

Took her in for an eye exam and she had some trouble reading the images on the screen. Were told to come back so they could put drops in her eyes and redo the exam. Did that and still a bit of trouble on the smallest row of images.

Optometrist sort of suggested that glasses were an option, but it was more of a wishy-washy recommendation.

We have seen no signs of squinting, she doesnt have trouble reading, and we asked her teacher at parent teacher interviews if she had noticed anything. So far no problems except for during the eye exam(s).

Would you recommend going for a second opinion, doing nothing, or proceeding on the glasses route?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
It is never a bad idea to get a second opinion. Sounds pretty borderline, but I can't make a recommendation over the Internet.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #468
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

This may have been asked before... but what are the best recommendations for eye glass wipes? I find some tend to leave fibres, and some tend to leave streaks or cloudiness.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #469
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had laser surgery 16 years ago and one of my eyes seems to have regressed. Have you heard of this? I thought it was a permanent correction. Is it a good idea to have an eye done a second time?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:35 AM   #470
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
This may have been asked before... but what are the best recommendations for eye glass wipes? I find some tend to leave fibres, and some tend to leave streaks or cloudiness.
Eye glass wipes in general are not that great.

A few times per week use a touch dish soap with water and clean with a chamois. Or get eye glass spray from a local optical
Old 09-05-2015, 12:43 AM   #471
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Had laser surgery 16 years ago and one of my eyes seems to have regressed. Have you heard of this? I thought it was a permanent correction. Is it a good idea to have an eye done a second time?
Regression is pretty common. Likely due to lots of near work. Honestly if you are over 40 it is better to be a touch nearsighted. It is much better to need glasses for part time driving vs all the time reading
Old 09-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #472
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Regression is pretty common. Likely due to lots of near work. Honestly if you are over 40 it is better to be a touch nearsighted. It is much better to need glasses for part time driving vs all the time reading
Thank you.

So redoing an eye is not recommended?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:01 AM   #473
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Thank you.

So redoing an eye is not recommended?
It depends on your prescription now, but typically I recommend keeping the nearsightedness to help with computer work.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:59 PM   #474
Property Manager DB
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the check up today doc. Always nice to meet a fellow CP-er for the first time even when he's been your optometrist for 3-4 years and you had no idea.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #475
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've got a dominant right eye and lazy left eye (what I see with both eyes open is mostly what my right eye sees). I suspect that my depth perception is being affected by this. Lately, I've been getting some irritation in my eyes, where I feel like I need to cover up my lazy eye in order to see. I wear contacts daily, usually about 15 hours a day (probably way too long, I know). The reason why I don't wear glasses more often is that when I wear glasses for more than 2-3 hours, I feel dizzy and my eyes feel strained, and I have the need to take the glasses off for a bit.

My prescription is -1.75 on my right, and +5.00 on my left. For my latest glasses prescription, I asked the doctor to lower the strength on my left eye to +3.00, because he suggested that having a lower strength may help with the dizziness and headaches. He explained that because there is such a big difference between both eyes, it may cause some strain to my eyes.

What can you recommend for the dizziness and discomfort? Is there a reason why I feel the need to cover up my left eye in order to see? What are your recommendations for patients with a lazy and dominant eye?

Also, if my right eye were ever to get damaged, what are the chances that my brain can relearn to make my left eye un-lazy? I try to always wear eye protection, but it would be nice to know the worst case scenario.

Thanks in advance!
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:18 AM   #476
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats the recommended length of time between checkups? Probably been almost 10 years for me.

Is a check up covered by Health? Or cost money?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #477
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Whats the recommended length of time between checkups? Probably been almost 10 years for me.

Is a check up covered by Health? Or cost money?
Every 2 years.

Coverage depends on the province. In Alberta under 19 and over 65 are covered by healthcare. Routine eye exams for 19-64 are not covered. However medically necessary appointments (eg. infection, injury and sudden sight loss) are covered.

Most private insurance plans cover vision though
Old 07-26-2016, 08:17 AM   #478
ooogabooga
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Don't mean to bump an old thread but we just got our 13 month old eyes checked my wife has poor vision and he's been walking into a lot of things that he should really be seeing
We were told he's at a +3.5 in both eyes and borderline for glasses and to be rechecked every 6 months
My wife is concerned that he should have the glasses now as she also needed them at around the same age
ooogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:40 AM   #479
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Every 2 years.

Coverage depends on the province. In Alberta under 19 and over 65 are covered by healthcare. Routine eye exams for 19-64 are not covered. However medically necessary appointments (eg. infection, injury and sudden sight loss) are covered.

Most private insurance plans cover vision though
Is this true in most people's experience? I'm only asking because in my 20+ years of working for 4 different companies vision benefits have never been part of the package at any of them.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #480
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Is this true in most people's experience? I'm only asking because in my 20+ years of working for 4 different companies vision benefits have never been part of the package at any of them.
Maybe Alberta is different, but here in BC they are
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote