Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #3461
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

City of Calgary reps just came by the office.

They let us know they're completing the 12th Ave track in front of the Guardian building within the next couple weeks. They want it to be complete before Stampede.

It will have those parking spaces next to the track that everyone loves.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #3462
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank the lord, how it just ends at the moment is atrocious heading east. You have to either merge into traffic or then turn north and go around the block on the sidewalk to keep going. Most aggravating part of the cycle track for me for sure.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #3463
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Thank the lord, how it just ends at the moment is atrocious heading east. You have to either merge into traffic or then turn north and go around the block on the sidewalk to keep going. Most aggravating part of the cycle track for me for sure.
Kind of funny to run a pilot project and then cripple it with all kinds of closures and detours like they have.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #3464
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I wonder if it's Guardian delays, rather than City planning, that caused it. Either way, it'll be great to see it completed.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #3465
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Curse you Nicolas A and your unattainable Strava segments records for CalgaryPuck. HA!! (You are always bit faster than I am on most segments)
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #3466
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
They are. They also force the braking action through the center of the hub, forcing the energy through the spokes and ultimately the rim and tires. This is fine on a sturdy mountain bike, but not ideal on lightweight aluminum or carbon wheels. And ultimately, your stopping ability is limited by the tire on the road.

Yes, you can stop better and easier in rain / long descents on disc, but I think that's about it. Disks came from the downhill world of mountain biking, and for road racing applications it seems more of a solution looking for a problem than the other way around.
Braking force/energy is ALWAYS directed through the spokes, if it wasn't your bike would not be able to stop, as that is the direct connection between the frame and the road surface.

You nailed it about being better/easier to stop with discs in the rain/mud etc, but saying "That's about it" is kind of missing the point.
No one has problems stopping in good dry weather, so if all you ever ride in is good dry weather then yeah, discs aren't solving any sort of problem.
If you want to ride all the time, having brakes that are reliable in all conditions are a solving a BIG problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #3467
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's some serious engineering. Still I'd just call it cheating, not a version of "doping"

Quote:
They call it "mechanical doping," but the name simply doesn't do it justice. Cycling is not a sport celebrated for honesty amongst even its top riders, but following several very high-profile doping cases in recent years, it seems as though the cheats have been trying a different route: hiding motors in their seat posts that help push them to superhuman feats of endurance.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...ymium-magnets/
Old 06-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #3468
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Braking force/energy is ALWAYS directed through the spokes, if it wasn't your bike would not be able to stop, as that is the direct connection between the frame and the road surface.

You nailed it about being better/easier to stop with discs in the rain/mud etc, but saying "That's about it" is kind of missing the point.
No one has problems stopping in good dry weather, so if all you ever ride in is good dry weather then yeah, discs aren't solving any sort of problem.
If you want to ride all the time, having brakes that are reliable in all conditions are a solving a BIG problem.

Isn't a bunch of force from a V or caliper brake directed through the brake to the mounts on the fork and seat stays?
Old 06-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #3469
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
That's some serious engineering. Still I'd just call it cheating, not a version of "doping"

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...ymium-magnets/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #3470
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Isn't a bunch of force from a V or caliper brake directed through the brake to the mounts on the fork and seat stays?
Yeah good point dude, I totally spaced and it didn't occur to me that the brakes are attached to the fork/frame.

Guess I should have drawn a free body diagram.

Either way, I still see disk brakes on a road bike as being a pretty nice upgrade.

Edit: The more I think about it the more I think I was kind of right, if not for the wrong reason.
Either way you are stressing the spokes/rim.

You've either got a tortional force on the hub that has to get transfered to the road via the spokes, or you have a a pair of approximately parallel forces on the rim (road/brake surface)
that will stress/deform it, and that's going to be transmitted to the spokes again.

It might be interesting to see what the differnt forces actually look like.

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 06-28-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #3471
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your rims will also last a lot longer with disc brakes.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #3472
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bike shop here in Airdrie posted this video today. A guy buys a $178 (I think?) Huffy Carnage "mountain" bike from Walmart and takes it down Hawleywood at Thunder Mountain in the Berkshires in southern New England.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2016, 09:41 PM   #3473
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

55 pounds.....ha ha.

That guy is an amazing rider to have done that....I was laughing during the video
Old 06-28-2016, 11:12 PM   #3474
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Gear grinder: the lack of selection for road bikes in the sub $2500 category that do not have disk brakes. I do not want to buy a bottom end bike with bottom of the barrel components, and I'm not about to plop down $4-5k for an aero TT bike.
Hey, if a carbon Roubaix interests you, mine will likely be on sale soon. I'm done road riding. Did that terrifying road that connects OBCR to Hwy1 (543? 563? 564?) . Never been so scared, I'd take that Huffy Carnage with a loose handlebar down A-line before I ride road again.

Minnie: nice find on that vid. When he finished the run with loose handlebars and no brakes, it's true testimony to fridge magnets sticking to his pair. Oh my.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:49 AM   #3475
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

By the time I finished watching that, 2 things were going through my head. One, Hawleywood looks like a fecking blast and I'd love to ride it some day and great googly moogly, I really appreciate and love my Giant.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #3476
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nice commute this morning. I haven't been on a bike in three weeks (holidays in Switzerland!) and I thought it would be a grind. All the hikes in the mountains helped more than I thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #3477
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

First time I've ridden to work 4 straight days in well over a year.

Kudos to Ivan, who lent me a pump last night as I got a flat on my ride home. Over a dozen people rode right past, he stopped to ask if I needed help.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2016, 09:51 AM   #3478
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ brutal, I always stop to see a another brothr needs help with a mechanical - gotta pay it forward.

I rode all four days as well this week - and I am finally hoping to get the Thunderbolt out on some dirt tonight as I am planning a rip thru fish creek. We are heading away this weekend and I am not taking my bike - boo!!!
Old 06-30-2016, 10:02 AM   #3479
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like a dunce, I always have a pump, except for when I clean out my backpack.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #3480
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a flat last year, and though no biggies I have a pump and a tube in my back pack - turns out I left all my repair gear in a stuff sack at home.

tried to fix the flat with aCO2 and a patch with no luck. Needed to be home by a certain time, so I rode about 3 km on a flat rear tire.