Old 03-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #21
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
How about 2 x 6GB for $49 each?
http://www.cellphoneman.ca/plans

As mentioned in the "Koodo MB/SK plan" thread, I used this guy for mine and my wife's phones. Basically for $100 he does most of the legwork on the Koodo side of things. You can also go to Koodo's site and look at the various provinces. I believe the plans he is currently offering are based out of Quebec.

Or if you don't want to jump through the hoops, Koodo is currently offering a 4 GB plan in Alberta for $60 per month.
That is a good deal, I would need Spotify for 2 people so my bill would be $120. I also would not have Game Center. I would have 6 more GB of data, but I rarely clock in at more than 5GB shared.

Plus I really like the roam like home feature on Rogers. So in the end I don't see myself as getting ripped off. I think all considered it is a fair deal with the throw ins. I know they want me off the plan I have as now days it would cost $40 more a month.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:59 AM   #22
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Well I pay $120/month with Rogers on a share everything for 2 phone lines on 6GB shared.

I also get 2 spotify memberships thrown in for a $20 value. So it is costing me $100 for the phone and data service. Not great, but I also am with a premium brand, Koodoo and the like are cheper and dame speed.

All I am saying is that LTE in the US is a bit better than 3G in Canada in my experience. We do not get a deal here, but I really prefer our service comparatively. The cell service sucks down here for the most part.
The issue in Canada is always the province to province discrepancy though.
I have the same 2 phone shared plan (Spotify and Gamecenter) with Rogers here in Quebec, except 7GB instead of 6 for $73.80 per month. .
I think the website shows $62 + $30/month for the 2nd phone now, where we got it for $20 and had a friendly in store CSR hook us up with the additional 10% discount (62+20=82-8.20=73.80), but even at $92 the website shows now is still 25% less cost with more data - and you are saying that's $40 off what you would have to pay signing up for it now?
But I guess that's not the point of this thread.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 03-16-2017 at 10:28 AM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:07 AM   #23
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Well I pay $120/month with Rogers on a share everything for 2 phone lines on 6GB shared.

I also get 2 spotify memberships thrown in for a $20 value. So it is costing me $100 for the phone and data service. Not great, but I also am with a premium brand, Koodoo and the like are cheper and dame speed.

All I am saying is that LTE in the US is a bit better than 3G in Canada in my experience. We do not get a deal here, but I really prefer our service comparatively. The cell service sucks down here for the most part.
Can I ask when you got this plan? This is a fantastic plan. $60/person that includes Spotify and Gamecenter is a really good value.

Right now for $120, Rogers is offering 7GB of data, gamecenter and Spotify for 6 months for one person. To add a 2nd person, it would cost anywhere from $40 - $70 depending on what level of subsidy you require.
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #24
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have Rogers share everything, 2 phones, 6gig, $120/month

I'm sorry, but if you travel quite a bit ( like I do ) then Roam like Home takes all other Canadian companies out of the equation. It's just to good.

And then there is game centre....
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #25
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
But I guess that's not the point of this thread.
Just to be clear- the point of this thread was to discuss how we are getting hosed as Canadians when it comes to cell plans. So any kind of discussion along those lines is great- especially if you have something to share that might save some others a bit of cash.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #26
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPThunder View Post
Can I ask when you got this plan? This is a fantastic plan. $60/person that includes Spotify and Gamecenter is a really good value.

Right now for $120, Rogers is offering 7GB of data, gamecenter and Spotify for 6 months for one person. To add a 2nd person, it would cost anywhere from $40 - $70 depending on what level of subsidy you require.
Got it on Black Friday 2015. They do not offer it anymore and badger me to switch. I sometimes go a bit over and pay $15 for an extra gig, which is followed by several emails asking me to move to that 7GB plan.

It would bump my bill $40/month to go 7GB. So I am sure they have me on their up sell list.

Best part is I am not on contract. My hope is once Shaw upgrades their cell service to 4G I can switch over.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #27
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Is it just me or are there more options to get a better plan in Canada these days?

I know the big 3 still offer completely unreasonable plans, but it seems to me that if you can negotiate and are willing to shop around and price match, you can get a better plan.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:20 AM   #28
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Is it just me or are there more options to get a better plan in Canada these days?

I know the big 3 still offer completely unreasonable plans, but it seems to me that if you can negotiate and are willing to shop around and price match, you can get a better plan.
Just a quick update. Rogers texted me out of the blue a few weeks ago thanking mefor being a loyal customer. They offered a free extra 3GB data if I just texted back yes. So I did and today they addedit for 9GB shared total.

Spotify x 2
Gamecenter x 2
9/GB
Canada wide calling
Roam like home

$120/mo

Spotify would cost $15/mo and would buy anyway. So the rest is $105/mo. Not as good as Koodoo deal but close and I am on Rogers who gets better service by me.

Now wouldI recommend signing up? No but there is hope if this KooDoo deal stops working
Old 05-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #29
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Seems pretty decent. I think around $50 to $60 per month for a deal like that is fair.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:17 AM   #30
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
I have Rogers share everything, 2 phones, 6gig, $120/month

I'm sorry, but if you travel quite a bit ( like I do ) then Roam like Home takes all other Canadian companies out of the equation. It's just to good.

And then there is game centre....
Until you enter an area in Alberta that isn't Calgary or Edmonton, and everyone except you, the Rogers customer, has cell service
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: