Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2020, 07:11 PM   #21
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see giving up a second rounder if Alec had more than a year to go - but why flush away a draft pick for one year
Old 02-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #22
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the point?
Old 02-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #23
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, a lot depends on the injury prognosis. The Flames played the number 10 defenceman in their depth chart last night.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #24
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames do go all out on adding, I'd like them to target Ilya Kovalchuk specifically, in addition to guys like Toffoli and Martinez.

Setting up the lines like

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Toffoli
Gaudreau-Monahan-Kovalchuk
Lucic-Backlund-Mangiapane
Dube-Ryan-Reider/Janko/Rinaldo etc.

The Flames need a pure shooter, Kovy would fit the bill and has made the finals before. Would be an excellent trigger man alongside Gaudreau and Monahan.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:24 PM   #25
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Why don't they just acquire Martinez, re-sign Brodie, and trade Hamonic/let him walk?

Keep the good players. It's not rocket surgery.
Who knows how much Brodie wants? Maybe he is too expensive? Not a given he is a keeper only on the right terms for the Flames.

For whatever reason it seems like the Flames think Hamonic is a more important piece and I think that is likely leadership, right shot, and grit. Also I think they can sign him cheaper and fit him in their future budget.

If Martinez is acquired I suspect though that one of Brodie, Kylington OT Hamonic will be traded
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember when Darryl Sutter kept trading draft picks and the organization's prospect base was in shambles? I do and it appears history is repeating. This organization simply never learns and while it's easy to blame Treliving most of us should realize by now the issue is with ownership. Flames have one of the worst prospect bases in the league and trading more picks is a sure way to keep it that way for a long time.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 07:31 PM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Remember when Darryl Sutter kept trading draft picks and the organization's prospect base was in shambles? I do and it appears history is repeating. This organization simply never learns and while it's easy to blame Treliving most of us should realize by now the issue is with ownership. Flames have one of the worst prospect bases in the league and trading more picks is a sure way to keep it that way for a long time.
Well when Darryl had picks he didn’t do much with them so there’s that. Chris Chucko? Erixon? Nemisz? Pelech? Yeesh.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #28
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I will always be a fan of deals like the one that brought Dougie Hamilton here. He was a 22 year old RFA pretty much a sure thing. Also the picks were known commodities at the time.

I admit I liked the Lazar trade at the time but I was a victim of the hype he had coming in the draft and as a rookie. Terrible trade at the time.

I think the Hamonic trade was a large mistake that crippled the prospect cupboard especially when combined with the Lazar deal. The result is 3 straight years without a 2nd (this years 2nd would be gone had we made the playoffs in year 1 with Smith).

This is a weird year where the team doesn’t look great but the whole division is meh so they could find themselves in the third round pretty easily. They could still miss the playoffs altogether. It is a weird spot for the GM but with all the core players signed and coming off a 107pt season the expectation is to win now
Old 02-13-2020, 07:45 PM   #29
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well when Darryl had picks he didn’t do much with them so there’s that. Chris Chucko? Erixon? Nemisz? Pelech? Yeesh.
Well I mean, Backlund is still a good defensive centre and Gio Brodie is still our top pairing in 2020. That's gotta buy him back some grace right?
Old 02-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #30
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Well I mean, Backlund is still a good defensive centre and Gio Brodie is still our top pairing in 2020. That's gotta buy him back some grace right?
Gio technically not a draft pick
Old 02-13-2020, 07:49 PM   #31
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
What's the point?
I don’t see the point either . Adding a deck chair
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:54 PM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I will always be a fan of deals like the one that brought Dougie Hamilton here. He was a 22 year old RFA pretty much a sure thing. Also the picks were known commodities at the time.

I admit I liked the Lazar trade at the time but I was a victim of the hype he had coming in the draft and as a rookie. Terrible trade at the time.

I think the Hamonic trade was a large mistake that crippled the prospect cupboard especially when combined with the Lazar deal. The result is 3 straight years without a 2nd (this years 2nd would be gone had we made the playoffs in year 1 with Smith).

This is a weird year where the team doesn’t look great but the whole division is meh so they could find themselves in the third round pretty easily. They could still miss the playoffs altogether. It is a weird spot for the GM but with all the core players signed and coming off a 107pt season the expectation is to win now
My issue is that it doesn't appear they have a top 6 forward in the farm system outside of maybe Pelletier. Now is the time to start stocking the cupboards not using high draft picks to acquire players like Martinez. Treliving blew his wad on Hamonic and it didn't work. He can't keep going back to that well for defensmen that aren't difference makers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 07:55 PM   #33
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 02-13-2020, 08:08 PM   #34
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Find a way to acquire him and Toffoli in a package without giving up more than a second and middle tier prospects and that would be ideal.

Or just dont overspend for LH depth D.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:21 PM   #35
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

only if they move another Dman...doesn't seem to make sense based on the roster... i mean maybe if they are looking at Brodie/Hamonic as 'own rentals' and expecting at least one to walk.

Personally, I think that assets are better spent on a forward at this point if they can get a reasonable price (ie no 1st or 2nd round picks)...

Otherwise, i'd stand pat and make changes in the offseason
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:21 PM   #36
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
What's the point?
I don't get it either. Why are they looking to add older players that won't make a significant impact for the team going forward?

This franchise keeps getting what they deserve by not making logical long term decisions if this is a sign.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #37
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Martinez is a good player and would make a great add, plus he's not just a rental

That said, not sure we should be buying rather than selling
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:32 PM   #38
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Don't like the idea at all of giving up first or second round picks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:34 PM   #39
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Backlund, Giordano, Brodie, ferland all were sutter picks. He also made massive winning trades like langkow, tanguay, kipper, huselius.

Sutter's legacy has been greatly tarnished by the last year or two no doubt of course.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Backlund, Giordano, Brodie, ferland all were sutter picks. He also made massive winning trades like langkow, tanguay, kipper, huselius.

Sutter's legacy has been greatly tarnished by the last year or two no doubt of course.
His bad picks far outweigh the good. And they were throughout his tenure. I left a lot out. Brodie was a real surprise. Gio wasn’t a pick, but I’ll credit it.