Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Will the Flames put it together?

Last year, the Flames got off to an awful start and then lost their best player to injury for a long stretch. The season seemed over, but it wasn't. The team rallied and seemed to fully buy in to the new system, and they rode that hot streak all the way into a playoff berth.

This year, the Flames have been very inconsistent. Win 1 lose 1, play great then get embarrassed, etc. The top line was on fire but have cooled off, the second line has been inconsistent, and now the secondary scoring is finally starting to come. Likewise, the defense seems to be coming around, but now the goaltending is just average.

The Flames haven't been able to have any consistency so far this season; when the offense is clicking, the defense falls apart and vice versa.

We saw last year that this team can be very good when it's firing on all cylinders (they were something like 5th in the league since Gaudreau's injury). Fortunately, the Flames haven't put themselves in as big of a hole this season, but this is a team that was expected to do much better after plugging their two biggest holes in the off-season.

Are the Flames going to start playing how they were expected to and fight their way into the top 10? Or are they going to waffle between good and bad and settle in right on the bubble? Or, worst case, is a collapse incoming?

What do you think?
Old 12-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

to me they are what they are - a playoff team that has too much inconsistency to be a real contender, but is too talented to miss out. I see them either as the 3rd team in the Pacific or the better Wild Card team.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Vegas is the team the flames need to chase. L.A. has really run away with the division this year, but Vegas is the team Calgary needs to take out. The flames play the Knights 4 times in 65 days.

Last edited by RM14; 12-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Likely not this season. We all get pretty high and low after the wins and losses but they are what the record says they are, a mediocre team for a lot of reasons and we should probably be happy if they make the playoffs as a bottom seed as they are not likely going to live up to expectations after making the Hamonic trade. I think the talent is there to be a better team but between below average coaching and players not living up to expectations the sum of this team has been less than its parts. I think next season with hopefully a better coaching staff this team could finally have a breakout season as I don't think that's going to happen under Gulutzan and his staff.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #6
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a lot of people have an entirely unrealistic idea of what a good team looks like. I think people honestly expect that a good team outshoots the opposition 50-20 every night, lets in two or less goals, and never allows the opposition to establish any sort of momentum or pressure.

Those games happen, but they are extremely uncommon.

The very best teams, year in and year out, still lose more than 3 of every 10 games. On average, they go about 3-2 in every 5 game stretch.

Are the Flames capable of that? Sure. They aren't far off.

Are the Flames capable of being a dominating team that plays close to 0.700 for the rest of the season? On paper, but this looks like a "growing pains" season. Most of our best players are under 25. It looks like they are not used to carrying the mail and dealing with the expectations on a contending team.

Are the Flames capable of an implosion? Doubtful. While I think some sputtering is possible, and missing the playoffs as a result, there's too much talent on this team to really implode. I think the absolute worst case scenario for the season would be 82-85 points.
Five-hole is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
I think a lot of people have an entirely unrealistic idea of what a good team looks like. I think people honestly expect that a good team outshoots the opposition 50-20 every night, lets in two or less goals, and never allows the opposition to establish any sort of momentum or pressure.

Those games happen, but they are extremely uncommon.

The very best teams, year in and year out, still lose more than 3 of every 10 games. On average, they go about 3-2 in every 5 game stretch.

Are the Flames capable of that? Sure. They aren't far off.

Are the Flames capable of being a dominating team that plays close to 0.700 for the rest of the season? On paper, but this looks like a "growing pains" season. Most of our best players are under 25. It looks like they are not used to carrying the mail and dealing with the expectations on a contending team.

Are the Flames capable of an implosion? Doubtful. While I think some sputtering is possible, and missing the playoffs as a result, there's too much talent on this team to really implode. I think the absolute worst case scenario for the season would be 82-85 points.
Why should this season be a "growing pains" season? That should have been last season with a new coaching staff not this season. This is a disappointing season to date. Not a total disaster because they can still make the playoffs but the fact they are behind an expansion team and only two points in front of the Canucks it's pretty evident the team has underperformed.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why should this season be a "growing pains" season? That should have been last season with a new coaching staff not this season. This is a disappointing season to date. Not a total disaster because they can still make the playoffs but the fact they are behind an expansion team and only two points in front of the Canucks it's pretty evident the team has underperformed.
I didn't say it should be a growing pains season, but it looks like it is. The team has been incredibly inconsistent, losing two in a row to bottom-5 teams, then getting 5 of 6 points in a tough 3-in-4-nights stretch. It's hard to say what these guys are yet.

Both Alberta teams came into this season under the weight of expectations. One is in a playoff spot, the other is a lotto team. Transitioning from a team that outperforms low expectations (like both Alberta teams last year) to a team that is expected to perform clearly has an effect. We're weathering it a hell of a lot better than the Oilers and that alone says some good things.

Also, it's quite a non-sequitur to rate this team's performance relative to an "expansion team" who is outperforming all but one team in this division. I don't think being compared to VGK has anything to do with how this team is doing.
Five-hole is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This past week has been the best 3 game stretch of play in my opinion. Not because they were scoring a ton but rather this defence was actually capable of limiting any real chances.

They have the offense to win 5 on 5 play. Their special teams has been suspect, if they can sort that out, and continue to be strong defensively then they should be an upper echelon team.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #10
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to see a new look on the special teams. Cameron out, Gaskal in.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #11
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
C'mon Erick, I agree with a lot of what you're saying but to flippantly say "they're behind an expansion team" as evidence they're not playing well is absurd when said expansion team currently has the 5th best record in the league.

That means there's 25 other NHL teams that could say "I mean, we're not even better than an expansion team!!". It's completely disingenuous.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #12
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
C'mon Erick, I agree with a lot of what you're saying but to flippantly say "they're behind an expansion team" as evidence they're not playing well is absurd when said expansion team currently has the 5th best record in the league.

That means there's 25 other NHL teams that could say "I mean, we're not even better than an expansion team!!". It's completely disingenuous.
We're even behind a team in Florida! Sad!
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #13
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

It only took 5 posts before somebody blamed GG, impressive.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #14
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It only took 5 posts before somebody blamed GG, impressive.
He's no good
Old 12-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #15
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're one defense injury away from Matt Bartkowski back playing regular minutes.

I can't say I have any confidence in our coach to get this team to play to its full potential. Even last night, we didn't lead once until 18:50 of the third period. That's not encouraging given the opponent.

I want to believe, but then Gulutzan does something that defies common sense. And our blue line is so uninvolved that our success rides on whether our forwards are hot.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #16
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems so...

Bennett and Janko have started scoring consistently.
Brouwer seems rejuvenated after he finally broke his goose egg (both courtesy of fine assists by Lazar) and looks hungry to shoot more.

Dougie looks like he woke up.
Brodie/Hamonic appears to have settled down.
Kulak/Stone really rounding into form.

Rittich giving us a backup we can throw in without fear.

Just gotta fix up special teams.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #17
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

After the Philly loss I was pretty disappointed but it seems like they have really turned things around. It's only been a few games but I'm really hoping they can build on these last few. On paper I don't see any major holes on this team they just have to put it together on the ice.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #18
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

I don't care about 25 other teams. Compare the rosters and answer how the Knights can be so high in the standings compared to the Flames. The Flames have much more talent so what's the difference? I don't need to say it but coaching means a lot in professional sports. Why can't the Flames ever just jump out in front and stick with the top teams like Vegas has this season? Why must we always accept mediocrity? Vegas is doing more in the first few months of it's inaugural season than this organization has done in decades over the first two months. Way too many fans here have settled and accepted the product over the last 25 years which quite frankly has been terrible relative to most of the league. This team has stopped ascending and has now flatlined into mediocrity. For some fans competing for bottom playoff seed annually is enough but I would actually like to see another Stanley Cup or even a deep playoff run for that matter. This team hasn't shown it's close to that even if the roster on paper should be good enough to compete for the division title.

They put together three games where the defense actually looked competent so it's something to build on but I'm not getting sucked into thinking they have turned the corner until they can put a few good months of consistent hockey together.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #19
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If not for a very late goal last night, the Flames had 0 regulation wins in the last 5 games.

I know we set the bar pretty low around here, but how do some see the last "few" as a turnaround? I guess they didn't get embarrassed, but thats about it.

I hope they do turn it around and soon. But beating Ari, Mtl and Van is not really that impressive. Still waiting for this team to have some consistency and an identity wouldn't hurt either.

As it stands they will make the playoffs and be bounced easily in the first round.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #20
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

After the Edmonton and Philly losses they have played much better hockey over the last 3 games regardless of the opponent or score. That's the positive I see. The team as a whole is playing better and individuals who have really struggled are playing better as well. I think that's something to build on and hopefully it can be a turning point in the season.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote