Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #21
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Back before HD camera’s capturing the game from every angle I’d say this was a greasy play that would have been dealt with on the ice by the players themselves. Fortunately for Tkachuk the league is much softer in vigilante justice and will be penalized in lost revenue (missing games from suspension). He’s a rat, and in earlier days that probably would have made himself out to be a target that officials would turn a blind eye to. This incident is cheeky, but he’s lucky he’s safe from physical retribution in this politically correct era.

This kind of thing also polarizes the bench because you want to stick up for teammates, but not so much a ###### bag that has dug his own grave.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #22
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple games I think. Love the way he plays on the ice but wish he'd knock off the extracurricular nonsense
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #23
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
You wouldn't say that to his face, would you?
Actually, I probably would.

Also, what's your point?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 07:20 AM   #24
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Back before HD camera’s capturing the game from every angle I’d say this was a greasy play that would have been dealt with on the ice by the players themselves. Fortunately for Tkachuk the league is much softer in vigilante justice and will be penalized in lost revenue (missing games from suspension). He’s a rat, and in earlier days that probably would have made himself out to be a target that officials would turn a blind eye to. This incident is cheeky, but he’s lucky he’s safe from physical retribution in this politically correct era.

This kind of thing also polarizes the bench because you want to stick up for teammates, but not so much a ###### bag that has dug his own grave.
Only thing different is the cameras are catching this kind of stuff, in the older days... It was never caught...

Happened all of the time.

Will be really interesting to hear the verdict this afternoon.... (hope its not 5 games)

Flames can not afford to have this player suspended, as they are an extremely soft team.

They need the Tkachuk to play his game, however this kind of stuff has to disappear.

(Same thing with Corey Perry's style of game...etc)

Last edited by flambers; 12-07-2017 at 07:33 AM.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #25
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
5 games?? What an odd thing to wish...
I don't 'wish' for 5 games either, but it was a dumb move that is only going to hurt the team. I didnt' even know this happened (did they talk about it on the broadcast?). Leave those antics at home, be a pest ON the ice, and pick your spots better.

I love the kid, but there's no defending this. If someone did this to a Flames' player, there would be a very justified uproar about it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:23 AM   #26
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Actually, I probably would.

Also, what's your point?
Point is that it's easy to sit behind our computer screens and throw insults at players and coaches and say things that we wouldn't say in real life so we feel cool.
I guess its not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I just felt like drawing attention to it because I find it annoying and think it lessens the quality of this board.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:26 AM   #27
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, silver lining is it might be an interesting opportunity for Sam Bennett to hop on the side with Backs and Frolik for a few games.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:29 AM   #28
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don't see him getting less than 5 games myself. Especially with so recent a suspension for a similar incident. Could even be 10-12 though I'm not sure DoPS has the cojones to do that.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #29
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Well, silver lining is it might be an interesting opportunity for Sam Bennett to hop on the side with Backs and Frolik for a few games.
No please, just leave Bennett and Jankowski alone. They are clicking and need to continue to build confidence in one another.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #30
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stupid play. I love that he mixes it up but that didn't have that effect. Was just dumb.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:33 AM   #31
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loob job View Post
He needs to grow up a bit, I know he's young but he's immature. And this was told to me from someone within the organization.
A 19 year old kid is immature? No way.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dieHARDflameZ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 07:36 AM   #32
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loob job View Post
He needs to grow up a bit, I know he's young but he's immature. And this was told to me from someone within the organization.
Seems like a player who will always play on the edge.

Just hope he doesn't go over the line......

Might get suspended a fair amount over his career.

As for immature, I bet that's extremely common with allot of the younger players.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #33
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
It seems odd, but it makes sense. Obviously, he hasn't learned anything from his one game suspensions. A bit harsher punishment might do him good.

Flames are a better team with him in the lineup, so anytime he gets himself suspended he is hurting the team. So, if a harsher punishment is what he needs to learn what he can/can't do, then so be it.
Fair enough. Flames are at a pretty crucial juncture in defining what this team will ultimately be. Having him out for more than a game or two hurts the team.

I think it's more on the coaches and team vets to guide him to get the message thru, more than a league suspension.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #34
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Stupid play, but the league also has to take into account that there is absolutely no intent to injure. He's doing it to be an ass and try to provoke Martin into more and that is it. My guess is 2 or 3 games.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #35
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Point is that it's easy to sit behind our computer screens and throw insults at players and coaches and say things that we wouldn't say in real life so we feel cool.
I guess its not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I just felt like drawing attention to it because I find it annoying and think it lessens the quality of this board.
I think the best part of this is that you don't actually realize just how much of a hypocrite you are. You're sitting there, hiding behind your computer screen, trying to make yourself feel cool by acting like Mr. Superior.

And why? Because I dared to call a kid who is behaving like a selfish moron an idiot? Newsflash Mr. Superior: He IS an idiot. He's getting two games minimum for what he did last night. He's taking himself out of the line-up at a time when we desperately need him to be in these games and excelling. This after taking a number of other stupid and selfish penalties throughout the year. Most notably one against Carolina that lost us that game.

If you're offended by my calling an idiot an idiot, feel free to close your browser, go outside and watch the sunrise. It would be far more useful than sitting here and white knighting for a kid who doesn't need it.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 07:48 AM   #36
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only reason this is being reviewed is that Tkachuk is on the bench. The so called "spear" is weak and I am 100% sure that the players safety will deliberately over look Martin grabbed his stick and while his glove was pulling it Tkachuk poked him with it.
It wasn't enough force to injure the Leaf but Tkachuk will get a suspension of some sort, because this will be a reputation decision and not the act itself.
Put it this way if it was Mathews or any major league player the media would chew on it for a minute but it would not even be a phone call from the league.

Last edited by Stay Golden; 12-07-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Stay Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #37
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think he'll get three games due to recency bias. Wonder what the record is between suspensions, this would be 9 games.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #38
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I think the best part of this is that you don't actually realize just how much of a hypocrite you are. You're sitting there, hiding behind your computer screen, trying to make yourself feel cool by acting like Mr. Superior.

And why? Because I dared to call a kid who is behaving like a selfish moron an idiot? Newsflash Mr. Superior: He IS an idiot. He's getting two games minimum for what he did last night. He's taking himself out of the line-up at a time when we desperately need him to be in these games and excelling. This after taking a number of other stupid and selfish penalties throughout the year. Most notably one against Carolina that lost us that game.

If you're offended by my calling an idiot an idiot, feel free to close your browser, go outside and watch the sunrise. It would be far more useful than sitting here and white knighting for a kid who doesn't need it.
Pretty much exactly what I expected as a response.
I'm not offended at all, just annoyed, but I'm over it. One of the biggest problems with moderated boards is that it prevents other posters from ganging up on idiots like you and driving you away.
No big deal, I'm off to watch the sunrise.
Later.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #39
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Meh. When you play the game he does, you cross the line occasionally.
Flames_F.T.W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames_F.T.W For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #40
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think he did it to protect Brouwer who was hit a little recklessly from behind. Also Martin stood over top Brouwer. That's why others on ice and on bench came to protect Brouwer as well.

Not good to spear but I don't think it was selfish.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote