Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #41
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
...What I'm stating are the reasons that, if such a trade is constructed, he could be convinced to waive his NTC (assuming it's to one of the 10 teams on his list which is quite doubtful anyway).

I get that and I think you are likely wrong. I see a trade as a very difficult proposition for Stajan to accept at any point this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #42
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTitan View Post
Does anyone have any fancy stats on our fourth line? They seem to be winning battles nightly. Stajan and Brouwer are too expensive...but at least they're good in their current role. I think??
Stajan's are good - 53.12% Corsi for (5th on the team behind 3M and Jagr)

The rest are terrible - bottom Corsis for Flames (excluding F.Hamilton and Hathaway who've played 1 game each) - Glass, Brouwer, Bennett, Lazar (that's from worst forward so Glass has the worst).

People want to bench Stajan because he's old, but he's been good this year and was good last year.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #43
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
This Freddie/Dougie talk about them being inseperable has got to stop. The ONLY place this seems to be mentioned in on CalgaryPuck. A couple of posters ran with it, and now it's ''news''. I'd like to see a single quote from a reputable source saying the reason Freddie is here is because of Dougie. I'm willing to bet not a single person will find a single shred of evidence, because that evidence DOES NOT EXIST. Why some people continue to run with it and make it a thing blows my mind.
To be fair, I've heard it mentioned on the Fan by a couple of the guys including Loubardias I believe.

I also listened to the latest Haynes podcast with Steinberg yesterday, and Steinberg said he believes that Freddie is here as a "package deal" with Dougie.

But honestly, I think Freddie as the 13th/14th makes a lot of sense regardless of his last name. He's not a young guy you feel like you're hurting by keeping him in the pressbox, and when there's a last minute injury situation like Stajan/Ferland in Vancouver, he's capable in that limited role.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #44
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a problem with F Hamilton as the 13 or 14. Cheap, works hard, doesn't complain.

I saw no one in the preseason to push him out of that role. I did see guys who should be the 10 and 12 though, but those are spots for players who should be playing everyday.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #45
fotiou22
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It's a cliche to say, but the season is a marathon, not a sprint. If Calgary is going to make a long run in the playoffs, Stajan is the kind of guy you want to have around. We don't have any salary cap issues. Unless there's a good return, there's no reason to move him out.
fotiou22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #46
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
To be fair, I've heard it mentioned on the Fan by a couple of the guys including Loubardias I believe.

I also listened to the latest Haynes podcast with Steinberg yesterday, and Steinberg said he believes that Freddie is here as a "package deal" with Dougie.

But honestly, I think Freddie as the 13th/14th makes a lot of sense regardless of his last name. He's not a young guy you feel like you're hurting by keeping him in the pressbox, and when there's a last minute injury situation like Stajan/Ferland in Vancouver, he's capable in that limited role.
I doubt it was Loubo, who's a Freddie fan.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #47
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

It was Pat Steinberg on the latest Hayes podcast.

I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing that it's a "package" deal in having both Hamiltons. By all accounts, the brothers are incredibly close and having one of your best young players in a stable and comfortable mental situation is a positive thing.

So far the package bit is that Freddie at least gets an opportunity on the pro team as a 13th forward and it's up to him to do with it what he can. Considering how we would have needed a cheap 13th forward to sit in the press box and come in for versatility/energy, Freddie isn't a bad choice at all. Whenever we talk about prospect opportunity, Freddie Hamilton is not in the way of any top 9 player. He's as irrelevant to the discussion as can be.

If you're looking for specific players to be concerned about, then the likes of Ferland, Jagr, and Versteeg are "blocking". Sure they've offered value and production in the past but if they aren't producing then that's just the result of betting on the vets instead of making room for a prospect like Jankowski.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #48
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I get that and I think you are likely wrong. I see a trade as a very difficult proposition for Stajan to accept at any point this year.
I think finding the trade is way harder than getting the waiver. I just don't see him as a guy who prevents a trade that helps Calgary and doesn't really hurt him that much.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #49
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Eric Duhatsek also refers to it in his article on The Athletic. I'm not sure I would draw any conclusions from it, though.

The (quiet) life and times of Dougie Hamilton
https://theathletic.com/112144/2017/...ugie-hamilton/

Now entering his third season in Calgary, Hamilton will freely acknowledge that he is an unrepentant homebody. He and his older brother Freddie live together and share tasks around the house. In the kitchen, Freddie will do the barbecuing, for example, while Dougie does the work of the sous chef. Freddie does the driving, to and from the rink. The two played together in junior for the OHL Niagara Ice Dogs, and their parents, Doug and Lynn, moved from Toronto to St. Catharines, Ont., effectively to be their billets.
“But it’s been unbelievable. Just being able to live with him is better. I lived on my own for two years playing in the NHL and it’s not always the easiest — so to have my brother here now has been awesome.”

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #50
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Eric Duhatsek also refers to it in his article on The Athletic. I'm not sure I would draw any conclusions from it, though.

The (quiet) life and times of Dougie Hamilton
https://theathletic.com/112144/2017/...ugie-hamilton/

Now entering his third season in Calgary, Hamilton will freely acknowledge that he is an unrepentant homebody. He and his older brother Freddie live together and share tasks around the house. In the kitchen, Freddie will do the barbecuing, for example, while Dougie does the work of the sous chef. Freddie does the driving, to and from the rink. The two played together in junior for the OHL Niagara Ice Dogs, and their parents, Doug and Lynn, moved from Toronto to St. Catharines, Ont., effectively to be their billets.
“But it’s been unbelievable. Just being able to live with him is better. I lived on my own for two years playing in the NHL and it’s not always the easiest — so to have my brother here now has been awesome.”
Enjoying having your brother on the team and it being some sort of requirement are a little different though.

That said, I'm fine with Freddie being a press box player. He doesn't hurt you on the ice, really, and seems to be OK with the limited games. His stats are really similar to Hathaway's, but with way less penalties. I wouldn't want Jankowski in the press box. I'd send Glass before Hamilton - face punching and all.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #51
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
If Stajan was given the option of Stockton or an NHL team on his NTC, I am pretty sure he is choosing to waive.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #52
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton DID play his best offensive game when his brother was in the lineup. Coincidence?
Old 10-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #53
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
If Stajan was given the option of Stockton or an NHL team on his NTC, I am pretty sure he is choosing to waive.
Sure, but the Flames would never give him that ultimatum.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #54
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Hamilton DID play his best offensive game when his brother was in the lineup. Coincidence?
Hah. Someone should actually do the analysis of games with Freddie and without. It's what, a 31 game sample?
Old 11-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #55
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jankowski’s three points, wild third period leads Flames over Blues
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/amp...ticle36969978/

Sent from my LG-V522 using Tapatalk

Last edited by shadowlord; 11-14-2017 at 12:40 PM.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #56
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Janko and Benny: After a Three-Year Search, Has Bennett Found His Hockey Soulmate?

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2017/...ar-search.html
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #57
bucksmasher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Loubo is an everyone fan. And I’m a loubo fan
bucksmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #58
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Breaking the Persona: Hathaway Showing Maybe There's More There Than Most Thought

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2017/...ing-maybe.html
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
FBI
Old 12-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #59
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sam Bennett’s late goal lifts Flames above Canucks

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ticle37282087/
Old 01-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #60