Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #1081
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

That would be perfect. When this was talked about a few weeks ago I think that was the exact weekend I suggested.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #1082
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd be in favour of moving it up, but not by that much. First weekend of November sounds good to me, the last game of the year should have a bit of bite to it. The Grey Cup gets sold out no matter what, and there's more to the week than just a game including a lot of parties and events held indoors. The league's main concern should be the regular season games, and swapping the terrible first week of november game which is usually meaningless with a nice day in June is a big win, obviously. But moving up the grey cup by 5 weeks like Ambrosie is talking about starts to put some early season games into the spring weather danger zone.

Last edited by DiracSpike; 11-24-2017 at 01:55 PM.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #1083
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I'd be in favour of moving it up, but not by that much. First weekend of November sounds good to me, the last game of the year should have a bit of bite to it. The Grey Cup gets sold out no matter what, and there's more to the week than just a game including a lot of parties and events held indoors. The league's main concern should be the regular season games, and swapping the terrible first week of november game which is usually meaningless with a nice day in June is a big win, obviously. But moving up the grey cup by 5 weeks like Ambrosie is talking about starts to put some early season games into the spring weather danger zone.
What exactly is worse for the game? Potentially poor weather in the last week of May or potentially poor weather in November?

I'm pretty sure way more games in terms of both numbers and importance have been ruined by inclement weather in November than would be possible in May.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #1084
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What are the leagues between the CFL and NFL (in terms of skill)? What options does an NFLer have in downgrading leagues? I often here the story that NFLers have no where to go once they get cut and was wondering how true that was.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #1085
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What exactly is worse for the game? Potentially poor weather in the last week of May or potentially poor weather in November?

I'm pretty sure way more games in terms of both numbers and importance have been ruined by inclement weather in November than would be possible in May.
Heavy Rains would be a risk factor, and are more prevalent in the spring. I'd rather be cold and dry than soaking wet.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #1086
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Heavy Rains would be a risk factor, and are more prevalent in the spring. I'd rather be cold and dry than soaking wet.
Get some rain gear and you can be warm and dry.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:57 PM   #1087
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL playoffs for TSN to compete with for TV viewers and sponsors, as well as Canadian NHL teams for attendance, would be an issue in May, big time. No way TSN wants to compete when the playoffs are in 2nd round and forward.

Basketball playoffs, baseball starting up, minor things like CHL. Busy sports season.

Sounds like it’s being done for NFL Network reasons too, which gets into the territory of the new Commish and his ego taking over.

18 games for a regular season is probably the better idea to deal with, which is far too long when so many teams make the playoffs anyways...but the Union and integrity for stats for games etc will mean that 18 games stay.

I would say make it start mid June and move it all up two weeks so that the GC is done early Nov.

Last edited by browna; 11-25-2017 at 12:00 AM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:47 AM   #1088
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Praise the lord!

@RandyAmbrosie on board with idea of moving the season up. "Imagine playing our Grey Cup..third week of October when it's beautiful everywhere and you don't have to wear 900 layers."
One conflict with starting a CFL season a month earlier is the issue of American players (can also relate to Canadian players). And the timing of bringing them in for training camps.

If training camp is too early, it'll be an obvious conflict with some American (and again Canadians) players writing their exams at college.

CFL teams are also very paranoid about the NFL Draft and what might happen with top prospects. If they move up the schedule up then they'd also have to move the draft up as well to accommodate.

The problem they would have is wanting to have the draft after the NFL draft because the Canadian players who are eligible may be selected. Believe it was Ed Hervery who brought this up on the radio not long ago.

Last edited by Drake; 11-26-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #1089
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hearing that the Lions will make a major announcement regarding football operations this morning. Does Wally stay or does he go?
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #1090
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Hearing that the Lions will make a major announcement regarding football operations this morning. Does Wally stay or does he go?
@JDunk12:
#BCLions are likely adding Ed Hervey to front office https://t.co/GwuXWGtq9k #CFL https://t.co/BugHveghwm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2017, 11:34 AM   #1091
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion, the Lions needed a change, but Ed Hervey?!? Also, I wonder what this means for Geroy Simon as he was being groomed to take over for Wally.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #1092
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see this as a functional arrangement...

Farhan Lalji‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
Hervey indicates Wally Buono will return as head coach and VP. @CFLonTSN #BCLions
Old 11-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #1093
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hervey has a decent record of finding talent as evidenced by the Eskimos team he built but he's also paranoid and difficult to deal with. I wonder if they still feel confident in Jennings as the starting QB. Maybe they will make a big play for Franklin.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #1094
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
I don't see this as a functional arrangement...

Farhan Lalji‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
Hervey indicates Wally Buono will return as head coach and VP. @CFLonTSN #BCLions
The plan is for 2018 to be WB's last season, so it is probably more a transition year that can work out, not Hervey coming in to push him out a-la Fred Fateri.

Or maybe it is. Ed Fatervey
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #1095
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the idea of moving the season back to end in October, I'd even be fine with a Halloween week end. Granted about the rain, but I'd rather have the first couple meaningless weeks of the season sullied by inclement weather (especially when they're rusty anyway, with only 2 exhibition games) than the playoffs.

Last edited by Sainters7; 11-30-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #1096
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There’s no way they can move next year’s season back. The Grey Cup venues/hotels/etc. Are already booked I would assume.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #1097
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah with the context of it being WB's last coaching season, this setup makes some sense as a transitional thing. Otherwise it's bonkers.

Huge fan of the season being moved up. End it by Halloween and let's call it a day. Snow only works on TV, and as a novelty. If it was up to me I'd have the CFL done by the NHL season.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #1098
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

CFL all-stars announced today - Stamps led all teams with 6 all-star selections:

Old 12-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #1099
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish him well in his retirement, I will say that today is a better day for the CFL with him gone.

@IanHamilton45:
CFL senior vice-president of football Glen Johnson has announced his retirement.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #1100
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this a sign Ray is retiring?

@Dave_CHED:
Quote:
#Eskimos trade QB James Franklin to the Toronto Argonauts in exchange for National OL Mason Woods and 2018 3rd round pick. #CFL

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post: