Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #301
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
My non-expert opinion is it was a severe charley horse, as it looks to me that Bennett's right knee hits Perrault's right hamstring.
This is my thought as well -- it's one thing to catch a shoulder or head against the boards, or maybe getting your knee twisted up as you fall to the ice, but I can't see anything except Bennett's leg contacting Perrault's leg when he makes contact, and Perrault going down as a result.

Basically, a body-check.

This also has nothing to do with being dangerous because he's close to the boards (which I'm assuming is why Burke didn't like it; I think he's wrong). It could have happened 10 feet from the boards and I suspect the same thing would have happened.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #302
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
It’s much better to be labelled a “dirty” team rather than a soft team. Opponents will play us more cautiously now and not bully us around. It’s a man’s game, if you can’t take a hit then you’re in the wrong sport.
I agree, Flames just seem to be portrayed differently than other teams
Old 08-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #303
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think anyone has brought up disciplinary action, except Burke.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #304
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I agree, Flames just seem to be portrayed differently than other teams
I think you're just taking it hard.
Thinking about historically "dirty" teams of the last 15 years as labelled by other fan bases:

Kings
Bruins
Blackhawks
Philadelphia
Vancouver
Ducks

All teams that made the finals multiple times during the "dirty" stretch.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:50 PM   #305
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I’ll be honest, aside from good hustle and physicality in game 1, I hadn’t been impressed by Lucic. He has no hands, can barely get his shot off, and has had multiple turnovers in the D zone. And his penalty today was inexcusable — was that even a hockey play?

That said, he has good positioning, can make good passes, and likely gives Bennett and Dube a bit of extra space out there, which they need. He’s likely a guy that will have a bigger impact as a series wears on — and I’ll give him the benefit of being a vocal leader and veteran presence in the room.

Bonus points for the fact that when he scores, I think that’s as demoralizing as it gets for the other team
I felt the same way. He has a lot of turnovers as well which could easily be mitigated by better decisions with the puck.

But he brings a lot more to the table, and clearly has pushed the Flames to be a tougher team to play against here in the playoffs.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #306
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Being from Manitoba I was happy they got a team back. But after a couple of seasons the ones I did interact with got this "We haven't won anything but we're so great" attitude. I even remember the year they made the conference finals my cousin telling us even though we don't cheer for the Jets we have to go to there during the playoffs just to experience it because it's so amazing. Yeah right.

And even after living in Vancouver for almost 6 years with the first year being after they made the finals I'd say Jets fans run their mouth more too. Again, why I don't know.

I can't say I hate the Jets but I think the only series that I would ever cheer for them in is if they played the Canucks or Oilers but I would hope they lose the next series.
Winnipeg sports fans are terrible.

I live here. They go from 'best team ever' to 'trade all those bums' on a daily basis.

Still remember when Scheifele wasn't tearing it up in his rookie season. Every fan I talked too wanted to trade him. Laine? Same thing.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:18 PM   #307
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

I live here. They go from 'best team ever' to 'trade all those bums' on a daily basis.

Still remember when Scheifele wasn't tearing it up in his rookie season. Every fan I talked too wanted to trade him. Laine? Same thing.

I’ve mentioned this before but my cousin was calling Hellebuyck a one year wonder at the start of the season when he wasn’t playing like a Vezina candidate and wanted him gone.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 05:19 PM   #308
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I felt the same way. He has a lot of turnovers as well which could easily be mitigated by better decisions with the puck.

But he brings a lot more to the table, and clearly has pushed the Flames to be a tougher team to play against here in the playoffs.
Funny how us homers always see our guys mistakes. Then when the other guys screw up it was "our players applying good pressure".

I agree he brings a lot more to the table. That big son of a gun was several times first forward back on defensive plays. He doesn't slack off in our end at all. He generally makes safe decisions, does not usually take dumb penalties last night aside and just remember Crosby and MacDavid have a few turnovers to. ALL players do just to lesser or greater extents.

He works hard and opposition players are very aware when hes out there. I like his down low game hes opening up space and many opposing players rush the play just knowing hes coming.

I recall a few years ago a you tube or something and about 10 NHL players were asked who's the hardest hitter in the NHL. While every single one said Byfuglien, Looch got more than a few honorable mentions. Guys that big don't need to make it spectacular. They simply rub you out with sheer mass and just a little speed. They crush 190 lb defensemen and sometimes don't even get a hit credit.

He's also been part of a pretty good 2nd unit power play that has 2 of the Flames 5 power play goals. Hands of lead but good brain.
GS Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #309
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hi there!! Welcome to Calgary Puck™
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #310
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

jETS SUCK.

They're so bad that not giving them a capital J isn't enough. To emphasize how crappy they are, the other letters get capitalized. Just a joke of a team with a bunch of cry baby fans.

I can see the players just giving up now and being happy because they don't have to stay in edmonton or go back to winnipeg for a while.

And to whiteout...you thought you and the jets were taking the high road. It wasn't the high road, it was a road out of the playoffs.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:49 PM   #311
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
I don’t think anyone has brought up disciplinary action, except Burke.
I never even heard or read of any Jets fans thinking it was dirty.

Burke is getting old.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #312
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
I never even heard or read of any Jets fans thinking it was dirty.

Burke is getting old.
read the OTL
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:21 PM   #313
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
read the OTL
From what I remember, the ATL was pretty much just people calling for a penalty. I don't remember anyone calling for a suspension, but I could have missed it (by "dirty" I mean't suspension worthy).
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:35 PM   #314
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don't get the comments Burke made. Starting to wonder if it was just sportsnet fabricated story or sound bite. I get it that it is a bit of a David vs Goliath with them short handed, but the broadcasts have a jets tilt to it. The Jets GM has almost been on camera more than our coach and Maurice is just in another tier.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:49 PM   #315
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think that Burke sometimes has off takes on the flames so to not be perceived as a homer. There is no doubt in my mind that he is cheering for Calgary due to his personal connections but mostly due to his ego.

Mind you, I believe boarding calls were a bit of a hobby horse for him as a GM, so maybe anything that resembles a boarding call gets him red in the face. Remember when he was trying to implement a "bear hug" rule by the boards to cut down on boarding? It was a strange and impractical idea, but it definitely speaks to how much he wants to get rid of those hits.

Officiating in hockey is made harder than it needs to be. The refs did not call that one boarding, but I think we could have easily seen that as a possibility, but the justification would have been "we don't really like how this hit turned out" rather than "this hit broke this rule".

Make the rules and call the rules and if you have refs that like to take matters into their own hands, fire them.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:51 PM   #316
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Jets and their media weren't crying when big Buff was taking out guys half his size...I can't even...its a hit in a playoff game

"Flames are soft"
"Flames hit too hard"

Lol What the actual F
Not only that, many of Buff's hits were charges as he'd take 5 or 6 strides before making contact.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:59 PM   #317
Cambardi
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Has anybody heard if Derek Forbort is ok?
Cambardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #318
Caboose
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Changing the topic a bit, but on a whim I checked faceoff numbers for the play-in so far. Most faceoffs won? Not-a-#1-centre Sean Monahan. He's gone an excellent 60% in the dot so far. Along with his boring 4 points, I've noticed some pretty decent defensive plays, breaking up entry passes and supporting down low.

I know he's not a sexy player, (stylistically that is...) and almost everything about him screams "boring," but he's an effective player that does do little things well. It bothers me when he gets a rough ride on this board. Is he the top 5, elite NHL centre that we all dream of? Nope. Is he a solid #1 NHL centre? Absolutely.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Caboose For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #319
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If he's working a little Bergeron into his DNA then that can only be good for us.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #320
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
He's also been part of a pretty good 2nd unit power play that has 2 of the Flames 5 power play goals. Hands of lead but good brain.
I thought Kent Wilson had a good take on Lucic:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290810203995344896

I guess the good thing is that he’s never really been a great stickhamdler or shooter (at least in recent memory) so he’s been able to adapt by contributing in other ways. It just looks weird because he stickhamdles like I do (and that’s not a good thing).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post: