Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #41
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

We need to start a movement when it comes to being solicited for tips at places that should never request it. If you go to a fast food joint and the tip option comes up, rip your card out of the machine and walk away without the food. Go somewhere else.

If you're at a place where the service is already done and you have to pay either way (such as the dentist)(un-fking-real), you pay your bill, give 0% tip, and tell them you wont be back because of that ridiculous request.

What's next? Tipping the car dealership? Revenue Canada? I can't believe a fricken dentist had a tipping option on his machine. I can't decide whether I'd have been too stunned to say anything, or if I'd have blurted out a WTF - EAD.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #42
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've recently started getting pizza at Domino's lately mostly because the two stores I visit don't have a tip prompt set up on their debit machines. It goes straight from confirming the amount due to entering a pin number. No option for tipping electronically.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #43
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Tipped the hotel maid $5 for two nights this morning. Left thinking that was not enough?

When I practiced in the Okanagan, clients would often bring us fresh fruit - cherries, peaches etc. That was much appreciated.

A lawyer I worked with in Vancouver was given a Maserati after winning a huge case for her client.

Last edited by troutman; 03-17-2019 at 03:09 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #44
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Tipped the hotel maid $5 for two nights this morning. Left thinking that was not enough?.
I guess it depends. I have “do not disturb” glued to my door regardless my length of stay, and my leave my room looking virtually untouched with 1 towel used. I don’t leave a tip for this reason, and I think that’s fair.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #45
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tipping culture was broken with the old minimum wage. Now with $15 wages plus tips, its absolutely busted.

I'd say the sole people I don't mind tipping are those that are commission/contractors that literally don't get paid unless busy (hairdressers, cabbies). I'll still top 15% on meals/drinks but that's begrudgingly.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #46
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I've recently started getting pizza at Domino's lately mostly because the two stores I visit don't have a tip prompt set up on their debit machines. It goes straight from confirming the amount due to entering a pin number. No option for tipping electronically.
The pizza place I pick up from doesn't ask for a tip. I almost want to tip them for not guilt tripping me.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #47
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I guess it depends. I have “do not disturb” glued to my door regardless my length of stay, and my leave my room looking virtually untouched with 1 towel used. I don’t leave a tip for this reason, and I think that’s fair.
Hotel housekeeping is probably one of the groups I tip the most, but I'll be in the same room for weeks at a time and I don't take it easy on them either. Plus a lot of the time if I tip they do something extra for you, there's been numerous times I've come back to find all my laundry done and put away, or all my dishes clean if it's a kitchen room.
That's what tipping should be, incentive to go that extra mile.

Ive been a supporter of tipping servers in the past but now with the new minimum wage I've scaled my tipping back a lot as well. If it's a place where there was no incentive to go the extra mile, like fast food, screw that no tip for you

Last edited by btimbit; 03-17-2019 at 04:16 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #48
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

We ordered a large pizza from Boston Pizza and it was about $50(!) all in. We ordered nothing but the pizza. No drinks. No sides. It was probably an extra $10 or $12 after you factor in Boston Pizza's "delivery charge" and then tip the driver when he arrives. Highway robbery.

Also, the Skip the Dishes tip prompt really bugs me. You have to tip before the order is processed. If you don't, the driver might think he is getting stiffed and you are getting a loogie burger delivered to your hotel room.

Last edited by SportsJunky; 03-17-2019 at 04:17 PM.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #49
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tipping is stupid. Pay your employees a living wage and include those costs in your menu prices. /thread
Old 03-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #50
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Hotel housekeeping is probably one of the groups I tip the most, but I'll be in the same room for weeks at a time and I don't take it easy on them either. Plus a lot of the time if I tip they do something extra for you, there's been numerous times I've come back to find all my laundry done and put away, or all my dishes clean if it's a kitchen room.
That's what tipping should be, incentive to go that extra mile.

Ive been a supporter of tipping servers in the past but now with the new minimum wage I've scaled my tipping back a lot as well. If it's a place where there was no incentive to go the extra mile, like fast food, screw that no tip for you
Dishes done in a room with a kitchen is part of the housekeeping services though... As for the laundry, don't you pay for the laundry to be done? If they're doing it for free, then I'd agree that's above and beyond, otherwise, not sure if that itself is deserving of a tip.

On a related note, most hotels these days give you the option of "going green" where your room isn't cleaned and the sheets are not changed. I'm sure this has effectively reduced the tips that housekeeping receives these days.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #51
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Here is an interesting observation I noticed with me and my friends:

We all use to tip cabbies before uber. Since the advent of Uber, none of us tip Uber or cabbies. Uber literally destroyed tipping for rides because it made it anonymous. So basically no one wanted to tip cabbies and as soon as they could do that without feeling bad about it...they did.

Is it only a matter of time before technology does that for another industry?
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #52
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Dishes done in a room with a kitchen is part of the housekeeping services though... As for the laundry, don't you pay for the laundry to be done? If they're doing it for free, then I'd agree that's above and beyond, otherwise, not sure if that itself is deserving of a tip.

On a related note, most hotels these days give you the option of "going green" where your room isn't cleaned and the sheets are not changed. I'm sure this has effectively reduced the tips that housekeeping receives these days.
Most kitchen rooms have a surcharge for leaving dirty dishes. And for the laundry service I mean they're either doing it for free/just the tip and/or they do it for me at hotels that don't even have a laundry service. These aren't fancy hotels, usually just a Best Western or something

Last edited by btimbit; 03-17-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #53
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird. I always tip my housekeeper in Mexico, but have never done it in North America.

Probably because I never carry cash except when I'm at all inclusives and rolling around with 50 $1 bills LOL
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #54
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Weird. I always tip my housekeeper in Mexico, but have never done it in North America.

Probably because I never carry cash except when I'm at all inclusives and rolling around with 50 $1 bills LOL
Tyler on vacation:
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #55
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

never heard of tipping at a professional office?

tipping started as a reward for good service; it makes no sense to me to tip at at fast food place as they aren't 'waiting' on you unlike a restaurant or bar...

if someone gives you service above and beyond, then i tip...someone simply doing their job seems a bit weird to tip...for people to ask for a tip seems really presumptuous...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #56
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tipping is a weird, broken system. There are a lot of breweries out here that do very high volumes of 16 oz cans out of their tasting rooms. The POS machines are the same as the guys who pour drafts, so it always comes up with a 15-18-20% tip option. Most click no, or custom and leave a couple bucks. But some amount of people will click a percent and walk away realizing they left $20 tip to a guy handing them a case of IPA cans.

A couple months ago, one of the more successful breweries in Boston got caught in a big controversy when it came out that they were paying their to go beer slingers like $7/hour which was min wage for tippeed employees. Which led to a big outcry of all the "give them a living wage and the tips are theirs/you are evil/why should we tip on to go beer/etc" Then it came to light that those beer slingers were often making more than $50/hour in tips, and sometimes a lot more, and were turning down management positions because it would be such a big cut in pay.

Once the genie is out of the bottle, it is tough to figure out how to correct it. They said they talked to the staff about going to a no tip model and paying everyone a min of $15/hour, but of course the staff thought that was a terrible idea. Do they give these guys making $50/hour in tips a $15/hour wage and let them still keep tips? Probably the best thing is to take that tipping option off for to go sales, and pay them all appropriately, but the staff would all quit.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #57
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Here is an interesting observation I noticed with me and my friends:

We all use to tip cabbies before uber. Since the advent of Uber, none of us tip Uber or cabbies. Uber literally destroyed tipping for rides because it made it anonymous. So basically no one wanted to tip cabbies and as soon as they could do that without feeling bad about it...they did.

Is it only a matter of time before technology does that for another industry?
What, you don't tip your Uber driver? Or cabbies? Might just be you and your friends! I still feel obliged to tip both.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #58
CrispyGriz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Tipping is stupid. Pay your employees a living wage and include those costs in your menu prices. /thread

Sounds like the fastest way to close your restaurant. Every place that has ever done this has closed as far as I am aware. The only way this changes is if it is legislated.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #59
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyGriz View Post
Sounds like the fastest way to close your restaurant. Every place that has ever done this has closed as far as I am aware. The only way this changes is if it is legislated.
Very true.

I'd support such legislation but until then, culturally, it just doesn't work. People see a Burger on your menu for $23 and a comparable burger at your competitor for $17, they're not thinking of the tip
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #60
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't mind tipping in general and usually do it wherever but at the dentist office, no thanks. I'm surprised tipping hasn't been introduced at the movie theaters yet.

Has anyone adjusted their tip amounts since minimum wage increase?

Last edited by Nsd1; 03-17-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote