Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #1261
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hi Inglewood fan,

My background = HT enthusiast (and I do this for a living ).

A couple points:

Epson are nice projectors - good choice.

Screen size is good, three feet for speakers is a little tight but should be fine.

The match up (timbre matching) is not really that important for surrounds (fronts - it can be noticeable).

I have done two subs in a HT room and it helps smooth out the bass. They were the exact same models so I am less sure how well it will work for you but no harm in trying.

Placement is important (there are a lot of moving parts in figuring this out). General rule is to have one sub 1/4 point on front (screen) wall so in your case 4'. The second on the halfway point of the opposite sidewall (ie 16.5'). So left side on front wall with right side wall or vice versa.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #1262
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Question for the AV geniuses out there.

I have speakers wired in my home in both the downstairs and the upstairs bonus room. Each set of speakers systems has its outlets to hook up to a stereo/home system. Currently, I have a stereo/amplifier downstairs and a Home theater system in the bonus room upstairs.

Wondering if there is a way to hook both speaker systems to one source, preferably without wiring. Is there something like an audio signal repeater or something, idk.

All help is appreciated.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #1263
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where does one get M4 x 20 screws in Calgary.

I have tried Home Depot and they don't have them that long.

I need them for my LG TV stand. I bought one that looked to be the same but it's a hair too big and the threads aren't a good match.

Thanks in advance. . .
Old 10-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #1264
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Where does one get M4 x 20 screws in Calgary.

I have tried Home Depot and they don't have them that long.

I need them for my LG TV stand. I bought one that looked to be the same but it's a hair too big and the threads aren't a good match.

Thanks in advance. . .
Home Hardware? https://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/i...jti/R-I2121815
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #1265
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Foothills Fasteners likely has them. Not sure where you're located, but they are in the south end of the city - also they don't have much of an online catalog, so you'd have to call to see.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #1266
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finding metric screws i Calgary is very difficult. I don't know why. You go to a place like "Calgary Fasteners" or "the Bolt Supply House" thinking, on problem! But it is a problem. Try Amazon.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #1267
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ended up finding some hex head screws that kinda fit. Wasn't able to get them all the way tight as there wasn't enough clearance with the socket inside the hole.

Is anyone using Netflix 4k? How is it?
Old 10-27-2017, 07:11 AM   #1268
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Rona in Airdrie sells metric screws, plus it's only 10 minutes from downtown.

I'm sure other Rona's do as well.
verda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:20 AM   #1269
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I ended up finding some hex head screws that kinda fit. Wasn't able to get them all the way tight as there wasn't enough clearance with the socket inside the hole.

Is anyone using Netflix 4k? How is it?
You could add a few washers to get them tight. And ya, Rona has some metric, but it is limited. Lowes actually has the best selection, you can check on the website to save the trip.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #1270
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sadly a rather pricey Pioneer receiver has failed on me.

Looking to replace it but don't want to spend a ton. Currently looking at an Onkyo TXNR575, although I recall the 2011-2014 receivers had some issues.

Anyone with thoughts/experience?
Old 10-30-2017, 06:49 PM   #1271
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other than any recommendations you get here, I look to wirecutter for suggestions. That website has stopped me from buying ####ty electronics.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:13 AM   #1272
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post

Looking to replace it but don't want to spend a ton. Currently looking at an Onkyo TXNR575, although I recall the 2011-2014 receivers had some issues.

From a reliability point of view - Yamaha. I have used all the major brands and it is the only one that has never failed me. I use the Aventage line exclusively now for my clients.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 10-31-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #1273
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You could add a few washers to get them tight. And ya, Rona has some metric, but it is limited. Lowes actually has the best selection, you can check on the website to save the trip.
I ended up getting them at Rona. They a little short for a washer to help, but these will do until I can get to a Home Hardware in Okotoks. Sucks there isn't one in Calgary, but I guess they know their market and large urban centers aren't it.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:45 AM   #1274
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post

My off warranty Pioneer Elite SC-75 receiver quit on me this summer. It would not power up. I dropped it off at SM Electronics in Cochrane, the authorized Pioneer repair depot, and paid for one hour of labour, which I think was $110. They did a "full factory reset" and I got my receiver back good as new for no additional cost. Unless your receiver failed the smoke test, you should at least have it trouble shot before dropping big money on a new one.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 11:40 AM   #1275
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I ended up getting them at Rona. They a little short for a washer to help, but these will do until I can get to a Home Hardware in Okotoks. Sucks there isn't one in Calgary, but I guess they know their market and large urban centers aren't it.
We have a Home Hardware in Cochrane. If you want I could grab some and bring them into DT Calgary sometime if that works. Saves you a trip to Okotoks at least.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:58 PM   #1276
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
From a reliability point of view - Yamaha. I have used all the major brands and it is the only one that has never failed me. I use the Aventage line exclusively now for my clients.
Has Yamaha improved how their sound processing is controlled? We had Yamaha for years, and while you could control the sound field to the nth degree, one could never figure out how to use it.

I helped my brother replace a high-end Yamaha receiver a couple years ago (although it was over 15 years old) with a new Marantz and the difference in sound quality was immediately noticeable in favour of the Marantz. On paper the receivers had similar ratings.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:07 PM   #1277
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looking at buying a used 80" Sharp TV (model LC-80UQ17U). A little hesitant to buy used. Reviews seem all over the place but that isn't uncommon. Anyone have experience with this model of TV?
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:50 PM   #1278
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
Has Yamaha improved how their sound processing is controlled? We had Yamaha for years, and while you could control the sound field to the nth degree, one could never figure out how to use it.

I helped my brother replace a high-end Yamaha receiver a couple years ago (although it was over 15 years old) with a new Marantz and the difference in sound quality was immediately noticeable in favour of the Marantz. On paper the receivers had similar ratings.
The app control of the sound is very good. I honestly haven't tried using the original remote as I am usually setting up a third-party remote and barely touching the original.

As far as sound quality, the Yamaha sound great in my opinion. Sound is very much an individual taste. What sounds fantastic to one, sounds bright to another etc.

Also, I think the amplifier is one of the smallest components in the whole makeup of sound quality especially when you are comparing brands at similar price points. Room design (overall room reverberation, first-reflection, speaker positioning, nulls, etc) room calibration (delay settings, speaker phase, balancing volume levels etc) quality of the speakers all make a bigger difference to sound quality than the amp in my opinion.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:00 PM   #1279
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Looking at buying a used 80" Sharp TV (model LC-80UQ17U). A little hesitant to buy used. Reviews seem all over the place but that isn't uncommon. Anyone have experience with this model of TV?
Apologies in advance to any Sharp owners, my distributor used to have a quattron on display and frankly it look pretty bad compared to pretty much anything else (They thought so too)

Sharp quality is pretty suspect in my opinion. So unless it is pretty cheap, I would look in a different direction.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:30 PM   #1280
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post

TBQH you're better off not using any sound processing at all. If there's an acoustic problem, identify what's causing it and correct it at its source.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote