Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #41
The_Penguin
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Decided to bump this thread as I'm looking for some info. I'm thinking of ordering a couple G1WH dash cams for me and my parents. The reviews seem to be pretty good and the cam quality looks great. Price is good to. Before I order this, has anyone every used this unit before?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00I...A16JJI2I7Z1ZPQ
I've had one (G1W, not H) for almost a year. Very good video quality for the money.
Mines been dropped, and cooked in the car, and the case shows some signs of problems, but it still works well.

You can get them locally at canadadashcam.com save you some shipping, plus easy return if there's a problem.
Amazon.ca seems to ship a lot from China lately without really disclosing it.

Just upgraded to a Blackvue dual channel last week, it's great, but the G1W AKA Hawkeye does very well for the money.
The_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Penguin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #42
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice. Just ordered the Hawkeye. Thanks.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #43
The_Penguin
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure you'll like it.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #44
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Did you order the one off the amazon.ca link you posted?

Looking to get a better cam for my wife's car. The one I bought off dealextreme is OK, but night time videos aren't that great. Plus, the date for some reason keeps resetting itself each time she drives off.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #45
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
Did you order the one off the amazon.ca link you posted?

Looking to get a better cam for my wife's car. The one I bought off dealextreme is OK, but night time videos aren't that great. Plus, the date for some reason keeps resetting itself each time she drives off.
No, I got it directly off of canadadashcam.com

http://canadadashcam.com/products/hawkeye-dash-camera

Looks like they have a warehouse in Calgary as I made the order and got it delivered the very next day. Free shipping too.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #46
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just pulled the trigger on the Ojocam Pro 2: http://www.ojocam.com

Several people on another Calgary-based forum (PM me if you want a link) have bought one and are happy with it, as well as the seller's service. You can order it with either the cigarette lighter adapter, or a hardwire kit.

It's also best to get a microSD card from Ojocam, as apparently some high-end Class 10 cards have issues with this camera. The seller stands behind the Samsung micro SD's that he supplies, though. And as you visit the website, you'll see popups for either a 20% or 25% discount code. You have to be patient, but the 25% off banner appeared for me as I moved between pages.

The camera with the hardwire kit + a 32GB microSD card, including my 25% discount, was $126.75 USD. Shipping is free by USPS (not UPS) from California.

I have one of those eBay cameras that I spent about $60 or $70 on originally, shipped from China. It still works, but the power adapter is annoying, so I want something hard-wired. Plus, the Ojocam records at much better quality, and it also has GPS.

As for the "do you really need it?" argument...I only bought it because I thought it would be a nice toy. But two years ago, I was rear-ended by an idiot who sped up after I signalled a lane change. My car was hit on the rear-right quarter panel, and when I showed the damage to a friend of mine who's a police officer, he said that I might be found at fault for an unsafe lane change. I showed the video to my insurance company...while it was pointing forwards and didn't catch anything, you could tell when the point of impact was due to the sound, and the camera shaking. At the point of impact, the video showed that my lane change was complete, and that I was just in the process of straightening my front end. Insurance found me not at fault. Best $70 I ever spent!

I was also hit by a hit-and-run driver last winter...that person was eventually found and charged by the police. My dashcam wasn't plugged in at the time (see note above about annoying power cord that I want to hardwire!), but if it was, it would have made the process SO much easier.

I haven't received the Ojocam yet, as I just ordered it. But I can post here again when I do, if you guys want.

EDIT: The Ojocam Pro 2 (Mini 0803) is also available from CanadaDashCam...for $189.

http://canadadashcam.com/collections...i-dash-cameras

Be warned, there are a lot of bad clones and cheap knockoffs of this camera out there. Buy it from Ojocam, it's seriously the best bang for your buck. Again, PM me if you want to know more, I'm just not sure if I'm allowed to post links to the other forum that I mentioned. Most of you can probably guess which one it is...and if you do, just search for "Ojocam" there. Tons of valuable information.

Last edited by Stealth22; 11-13-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #47
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 months and my cheap chinese hunk of plastic is still going strong. I still don't understand the need for something that costs more than $40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #48
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are obviously exceptions to the rule but generally, you get what you pay for.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #49
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Generally this is true, but I'm not seeing why I would pay 5x+ what I paid for mine (32$+free shipping). The video quality is the same, the record time is the same, it comes with the same accessories?

I'm not seeing the need to have GPS tied into it, I dunno it seems like if it turns on when my car is on, turns off when it's off and gives me ~3 hours of recording on a 32GB card @1080p, i don't see what other features are worth the price difference.

Any GS8000L-type seems like a better buy than some $150 american brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 11-13-2014 at 04:15 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #50
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yours is wired into your car as well? Hmm, that's pretty good. This is clearly one of those exceptions. May have to follow your lead on that one

How does yours mount to the windshield?

I don't really see the need for GPS either, location should be fairly apparent just playing back the video.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #51
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
5 months and my cheap chinese hunk of plastic is still going strong. I still don't understand the need for something that costs more than $40.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with you. You've probably got one of the exceptions to the rule. But there are a lot of cheaply made knockoff cameras out there. I don't mind paying a bit extra to know that I'm not going to get a DOA, or a camera that might break within a few months.

I needed a new dashcam anyway, because my "cheap chinese hunk of plastic" claims it records in 720p, when it really just records through a potato with 1280x720 resolution.

I bought the Ojocam because of it's size. It can easily be tucked behind the rear view mirror and be completely out of sight, without some hunk of plastic sticking out. I also bought it because of it's ability to record decent video at night, and because of the reviews it got. The GPS is not important to me at all, but it's a side benefit.

I just figured, I got what I believe is the best camera for my dollar, so why not share it with others?
Old 11-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #52
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Anybody have a recommendation for a backup camera?

Specs im looking for are

150-250$ range
Don't want another rear view mirror as i already have a connected rear view mirror
Wireless preferably as its going in my truck
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #53
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone know how difficult it is to have it hardwired into your car? I'm also looking at getting a car starter put in... should I have them do both? Or is it pretty easy to run it myself?
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #54
The_Penguin
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
Anyone know how difficult it is to have it hardwired into your car? I'm also looking at getting a car starter put in... should I have them do both? Or is it pretty easy to run it myself?
It's pretty easy, depending on where your fuse panel is.
You can use a fuse tap, find a fuse that's switched with the ignition, remove it, plug in the fuse tap, plug the fuse back in to the fuse tap, and run the wire.
Just remember that if your dashcam has a USB connector, it's 5 volts, so you need a hard wire kit that converts down from 12v.
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Penguin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #55
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just drove around with the Hawkeye cam I picked up this weekend. Video quality it pretty damn good for under $100. Can make out licence plates at night time. Shouldn't have wasted my money on that piece of crap deal extreme camera.

I was able to run the power cable from the headliner, down the A-pillar and under the steering column to my power adapter with some slack.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:25 AM   #56
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any other opinions on cameras for 2015?
Was witness to several instances of haste and stupidity on this mornings commute.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #57
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
I just pulled the trigger on the Ojocam Pro 2: http://www.ojocam.com

Several people on another Calgary-based forum (PM me if you want a link) have bought one and are happy with it, as well as the seller's service. You can order it with either the cigarette lighter adapter, or a hardwire kit.

It's also best to get a microSD card from Ojocam, as apparently some high-end Class 10 cards have issues with this camera. The seller stands behind the Samsung micro SD's that he supplies, though. And as you visit the website, you'll see popups for either a 20% or 25% discount code. You have to be patient, but the 25% off banner appeared for me as I moved between pages.

The camera with the hardwire kit + a 32GB microSD card, including my 25% discount, was $126.75 USD. Shipping is free by USPS (not UPS) from California.

I have one of those eBay cameras that I spent about $60 or $70 on originally, shipped from China. It still works, but the power adapter is annoying, so I want something hard-wired. Plus, the Ojocam records at much better quality, and it also has GPS.

As for the "do you really need it?" argument...I only bought it because I thought it would be a nice toy. But two years ago, I was rear-ended by an idiot who sped up after I signalled a lane change. My car was hit on the rear-right quarter panel, and when I showed the damage to a friend of mine who's a police officer, he said that I might be found at fault for an unsafe lane change. I showed the video to my insurance company...while it was pointing forwards and didn't catch anything, you could tell when the point of impact was due to the sound, and the camera shaking. At the point of impact, the video showed that my lane change was complete, and that I was just in the process of straightening my front end. Insurance found me not at fault. Best $70 I ever spent!

I was also hit by a hit-and-run driver last winter...that person was eventually found and charged by the police. My dashcam wasn't plugged in at the time (see note above about annoying power cord that I want to hardwire!), but if it was, it would have made the process SO much easier.

I haven't received the Ojocam yet, as I just ordered it. But I can post here again when I do, if you guys want.

EDIT: The Ojocam Pro 2 (Mini 0803) is also available from CanadaDashCam...for $189.

http://canadadashcam.com/collections...i-dash-cameras

Be warned, there are a lot of bad clones and cheap knockoffs of this camera out there. Buy it from Ojocam, it's seriously the best bang for your buck. Again, PM me if you want to know more, I'm just not sure if I'm allowed to post links to the other forum that I mentioned. Most of you can probably guess which one it is...and if you do, just search for "Ojocam" there. Tons of valuable information.
To echo this, I have Ojocam pro 2's in both my vehicles, and they have worked flawlessly for the 5 months or so I have had them.

I bought on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.ca/OJOCAM-Pro2-Plu...eywords=ojocam

And also bought the hardwire kit, and a fuse tap. Installation takes about 30 minutes. With about 29 of the minutes spent running the wires/tucking them up in the headliner. It's very easy.

I get that some people like big cheesy devices all over their windshield and dashboard, but I prefer OEM look and fit, and these things just tuck up nicely behind the mirror. Another benefit to this, is it is very hard to notice it from the outside of the car, so you don't have to remove it when you park at a mall or whatever.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #58
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks -

This stupid amazon prime is great, although I wish I realized how limited the selection was.

Since I didn't get an immediate response, I bought this Buyee Hd 1080p CAR DVR from amazon for $44 delivered. Had good reviews, so we will see I guess. Also want one for the wife's truck, so if it sucks I have a place to put it.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #59
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
Thanks -

This stupid amazon prime is great, although I wish I realized how limited the selection was.

Since I didn't get an immediate response, I bought this Buyee Hd 1080p CAR DVR from amazon for $44 delivered. Had good reviews, so we will see I guess. Also want one for the wife's truck, so if it sucks I have a place to put it.
OT, but yes. I might go to a brick and mortar store once a month now (except for groceries). It's the best $80 you'll ever spend.

The guys I work with always mock me about my weekly Amazon delivery, but I just turn around and mock them back for their old-timey drive to the store to pay $50 for a $10 cell phone case habits.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #60
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
To echo this, I have Ojocam pro 2's in both my vehicles, and they have worked flawlessly for the 5 months or so I have had them.

I bought on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.ca/OJOCAM-Pro2-Plu...eywords=ojocam

And also bought the hardwire kit, and a fuse tap. Installation takes about 30 minutes. With about 29 of the minutes spent running the wires/tucking them up in the headliner. It's very easy.

I get that some people like big cheesy devices all over their windshield and dashboard, but I prefer OEM look and fit, and these things just tuck up nicely behind the mirror. Another benefit to this, is it is very hard to notice it from the outside of the car, so you don't have to remove it when you park at a mall or whatever.
Yeah, I saw it on Amazon, but decided to go direct from Ojocam cause the price was a bit lower. But if you have Amazon Prime, you do get the free two day shipping, no? I had to wait for mine.

But yeah, I'm a total newbie when it comes to DIY on cars. I like to think that I know more than I actually do.

It was super easy to wire the hardwire kit to an add-a-fuse circuit that I got at Auto Value for like $5. Start to finish, the entire process took around 45 minutes. But most of that was me working really slowly, but mostly it was trying to tuck the wire into the trim.

It still isn't 100% in there. Some of the wire is sticking out of the A-pillar trim, so it doesn't look as pretty as it should, but its in there for the most part. The camera itself is awesome. I wanted something really low-profile, and this fits the bill perfectly. It powers up immediately when I start the car, and turns itself off a few seconds after the ignition is turned off.

Roughly 5 months later, its still going strong. Recording quality is great, no complaints at all. Only thing is, a friend who got one just before me said try to avoid removing the camera from the mount repeatedly. His still worked fine, but to him, it looked like it may loosen up if you played with it too much. Take it as you will. But for me, its easy enough to reach up and take out the SD card when I need to pull a recording, and I keep a small SD card case in my centre console. I never have the need to remove the camera.

Tags
dash cam