Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #201
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Sayings 'it's too soon' is a time-honoured tactic on this forum used by posters who don't like to hear negative comments about players. It's too soon to be disappointed in Bennett. A year from now it will still be too soon. The year after that (if he still hasn't shown significant development), we'll be told 'why can't you just move on?' and talking about Bennett will be considered a Debbie Downer subject.

In other words, there's no legitimate time to express concern abut a player's development. It's either too soon, or it's dwelling on the past.

People were saying the same sort of things about Backlund, and suggesting we should trade him. Some reactions were overblown and unreasonable based on Backlund's game day performances without considering that it would take some time for him to develop and mature physically and mentally as a player.
Obviously Backlund's injuries played a role in his progression but there were no shortage of complaints. Complaining is the easy part, developing and maturing into a hockey player in the NHL obviously needs time and patience. We are very fortunate to have people who saw the real picture and stuck with Backlund through his development at every stage.

About complaints..., people can be reactionary and say things on the spur of the moment while others tend to feed off it. A lot of times it just negative stuff. Bennett's progression is going to take time as he gains experience and matures physically.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 10-16-2017 at 06:47 PM.
DazzlinDino is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #202
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't understand why the decision has to be so concrete. He's struggled to generate offense up to his ability so far at center, try on him on wing. Maybe it gets him going, he's still a young kid that's trying his hardest to play that perfect sound 200ft game. There's less responsibility on the wing, let him cheat and cherry pick. Him seeing the puck cross the line a couple of times is probably all he needs to take off. That doesn't mean he can't shift back down the middle in the future or even in 20 games, but something isnt currently right with Bennett and it sucks that he looks less dynamic then he did at 18/19.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #203
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I don't understand why the decision has to be so concrete. He's struggled to generate offense up to his ability so far at center, try on him on wing. Maybe it gets him going, he's still a young kid that's trying his hardest to play that perfect sound 200ft game. There's less responsibility on the wing, let him cheat and cherry pick. Him seeing the puck cross the line a couple of times is probably all he needs to take off. That doesn't mean he can't shift back down the middle in the future or even in 20 games, but something isnt currently right with Bennett and it sucks that he looks less dynamic then he did at 18/19.
For some reason, the team disagrees. Something about cucumbers never over-ripening, so you don't want to turn them into pickles.

Analogies about produce are like a lamppost to a drunk, though, so I'm not sure if the reasoning is sound.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #204
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Defenseman.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #205
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Bennett is moved to the wing on the top line why would he even see that as a demotion? He has a much better chance of getting a much bigger contract playing on a line with Johnny and Monahan. If I was him I would rather be a top line winger than a 3rd line center.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #206
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
For some reason, the team disagrees. Something about cucumbers never over-ripening, so you don't want to turn them into pickles.

Analogies about produce are like a lamppost to a drunk, though, so I'm not sure if the reasoning is sound.
That analogy they made about pickles is total crap. As I said earlier, there’s lots of natural centers in the league that play wing, doesnt mean they can’t go back.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #207
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Lots of comments saying it's easy to go back, honest question that I do not know an answer to: can you name someone who has done so? Been drafted C, put on the wing, and then became a successful centreman?

Edit: I just want to add that I personally have been dreaming about a Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett line from the day Bennett was drafted. But having centre depth... as I'm thinking about this I want him on the wing now with Backlund & Jankowski both being ready and available for 2/3 C.

Last edited by TheFlamesVan; 10-16-2017 at 08:37 PM. Reason: To give context and then had a change of opinion.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:12 PM   #208
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

[QUOTE=Hot_Flatus;6419002]It doesn't hurt the Flames at all. This guy is not a top nine center in the NHL and it doesn't look like he ever will be. His undisciplined play combined with complete inability to generate offense at the position should be evidence enough. I'd rather the Flames have Bennett skating on the wing where there is less pressure on him, which also opens a spot for a guy like Jankoswki to get in a test the waters. This would potentially be a win win as both players may evolve into much more than they currently are.

As it stands now, Bennett might not even be in the league this time next year unless his game drastically turns around.[/QUOTE]

Your name says it all
trublmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #209
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett on the wing makes a lot of sense, especially since we have some potential options at center. As a center Bennett has to think the game more and that probably goes against what he excels at best. Give Bennett the freedom let him grow some confidence and play freely, can always try him back at center once he grows and matures a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if Matthew Tkachuk would have had the same sort of problems if he was asked to learn the center role.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #210
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Bennett on the wing makes a lot of sense, especially since we have some potential options at center. As a center Bennett has to think the game more and that probably goes against what he excels at best. Give Bennett the freedom let him grow some confidence and play freely, can always try him back at center once he grows and matures a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if Matthew Tkachuk would have had the same sort of problems if he was asked to learn the center role.
Well Bennett played centre in junior though, didn't he? Whereas Tkachuk was a winger.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #211
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
The whole C/W argument bugs me because he's a natural C and that's how he got all of his points before. Now we have to move him to W to succeed? It doesn't make any sense.
It's more complicated than that. He actually started in junior on the wing. He was moved to centre in his draft year but early in his draft year scouts wanted him to use his linemates more, he had a tendency to do everything himself. In the NHL arguably one of his best stretches of offensive play came while he was on LW with Backlund and Frolik. So trying to say he's a natural centre is an oversimplification as he played both C and W in junior and the NHL.

From what I've observed he has a lot of attributes that would make him a good winger. Good puckhandling and 1 on 1 skills. Good speed driving down the wing. Tenacious board play. I've seen glimpses of playmaking but he doesn't strike me as a classic playmaking centre at other times. I'm sure he'd make a fine centre longterm but I tend to think Jankowski is more of a natural centre and out of all of our centres I think Bennett would make the best winger.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #212
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well Bennett played centre in junior though, didn't he? Whereas Tkachuk was a winger.
Bennett played wing his first year. He was moved to centre in his draft year. Scouts criticized him early in his draft year at centre for being a bit of a puck hog and just doing it all himself IIRC
Old 10-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #213
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Need to figure out what Bennett can do at center, before this team can figure out what it needs to do with Backlund.

If we don't see progression and offense from Bennett over the next couple months, I predict Treliving has a visit with Backlund's agent that is straight to the point...

Should it go that way, then I wouldn't be shocked to see Bennett jump into a top 6 winger role, and Jankowski take his center position on the 3rd line.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #214
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Lots of comments saying it's easy to go back, honest question that I do not know an answer to: can you name someone who has done so? Been drafted C, put on the wing, and then became a successful centreman?

Edit: I just want to add that I personally have been dreaming about a Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett line from the day Bennett was drafted. But having centre depth... as I'm thinking about this I want him on the wing now with Backlund & Jankowski both being ready and available for 2/3 C.
Don’t know about many (although Seguin played wing in Boston a lot). But there are an uncountable amount of players who have been centres through most of their youth and been moved to the wing at the NHL level. It’s not necessarily an indictment of their play. Saying Bennett might be better on the wing does not equal saying Bennett is bad or even a bad centreman. Just possibly better utilized elsewhere especially if we have someone seemingly better suited positionally to the role (Jankowski).

Bennett may have worked as a centre at lower levels due to his high talent level and speed above that of his peers. But that doesn’t mean he’s best suited as a centreman. I agree with many that think that Bennett’s skill set translates well to the wing.

Last edited by Coach; 10-16-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #215
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post

Seguin is a good example. Pavelski mostly plays wing but still plays center sometimes. I doubt anyone thinks Draisaitl is ruined as a center. There are others, it isn’t unprecedented at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 08:59 PM   #216
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Sayings 'it's too soon' is a time-honoured tactic on this forum used by posters who don't like to hear negative comments about players. It's too soon to be disappointed in Bennett. A year from now it will still be too soon. The year after that (if he still hasn't shown significant development), we'll be told 'why can't you just move on?' and talking about Bennett will be considered a Debbie Downer subject.

In other words, there's no legitimate time to express concern abut a player's development. It's either too soon, or it's dwelling on the past.
That's not true at all. Drafts cannot be accurately judged for the first few years. Takes about 5-6 years to see players fully develop. Some step right in, some take more time. Every player is different.

Bennett was drafted in 2014. By 2019/2020 we should know what type of player he is. Right now? It's too early to tell.

It's currently 2017. Therefore we're starting to have a very good idea about the players drafted in 2011 and 2012.

Here's 2011
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2011e.html

As an example of why its dangerous to try and close the book on players too early please note the example of Mark Scheiffele. His points totals went from 34 in 69gp, to 49 in 82gp, to 61 in 71, to 82 in 79gp. Note that he hadn't peaked 5 years post draft. Bennett was drafted in 2014, this is 2017. So if you judged Scheiffele at the time people are trying to say they know that Bennett will never turn into X you would have made a grave mistake.

JT Miller broke out from a 10 goal scorer to a 20 goal scorer 4 years after being drafted.

Rickard Rakell went from 10 goals, to 20 goals to 33 goals. Look at when he did.

It's silly and dangerous to try and pigeonhole the upside of young players based on their early careers.

Heck we don't even know yet what we have in Jankowski and he was drafted 2 years before Bennett!

People preach patience because its necessary. People say its too soon to write off his offensive upside because it is too soon. Look very closely at the last 10 years of drafts and when various players broke out and it will become clear to you as well.

If Bennett fails to show offence this entire year then yes I'd say its a worrying trend. But a few games into the season? To be saying stuff like he doesn't have the hockey sense to be a top 9 player? That's an extreme overreaction to a limited sample size. It should be called out as Jay Random did because those types of statements are premature, shortsighted and quite frankly stupid. They show a lack of understanding of how long it takes some young players to develop into their full NHL potential.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #217
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
He actually played a lot of wing growing up and was drafted as a winger into the OHL

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #218
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Point taken, I think given added responsibility at the NHL level the move to center has been a challenge for Bennett. Tkachuk might have struggled in his current role if not for have great support on his line. My point still stands saying that learning new things can be a challenge and a set back for a young player. Obviously the coaches wouldn't be doing this if they didn't believe in Bennett's abilities but now we have some options we didn't have before. The Flames may feel they have the time and patience to develop Bennett at center but I actually think putting Bennett on the wing and try developing Jankowski at center might have some merit. Could strengthen the team but giving us more options throughout the lineup.
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #219
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think the rational posters understand that he still has time to show something, it just seems logical to try him on the wing at this point because of both his struggles and because of a want to see Jankowski at his spot.

One thing about the Scheifele comparison, while I understand there is something there, he did IMPROVE every year leading to the elite player he is today. Bennett took a step back in his second season imo and needs to show improvement this year otherwise people might actually have a point. Still think his best chance is playing the wing with either of the top two lines, along with getting PP time.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #220
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm