Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2022, 08:47 PM   #721
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
It looks like a car dealership is going into the old Rona on MacLeod south of Fish Creek Park. Maybe Fish Creek Nissan is moving there.

Its a new carstar location.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:06 PM   #722
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I am usually pro-preservation when it comes to historic buildings if I had to pick one direction or the other, as redevelopment can include restoration while respecting heritage... but often times, I think people get too nostalgic / sentimental about buildings that are no longer in use and are likely impeding growth as cities grow. Many of these proposed buildings for demolition are dilapidated and are sitting empty / underused as is. I say in this case, make way for progress. That is a very, very central / high-value block that can be a catalyst for other development in the core going forward (hopefully residential), something that has consistently been needed in this city since the 1970s. Plus, not everything in that block will be destroyed.

We don't keep most cars that become outdated, or appliances or clothes (we buy new goods), so why don't we hold buildings to the same standard? Sure, keep ones that have a unique history and still can serve a physical purpose; keep them if you have the resources to restore or modernize them (the St. Louis Hotel and the King Edward Hotel come to mind). But we should really not let nostalgia, NIMBYism and predictable fear of change get in the way of something that can be transformational for an urban core, likely resulting in something greater than the sum of its parts.
After walking through the area tonight on the way to the Dome, I'm feeling better about this. Most of the historic frontages are from the late 1800s but most of the stores have gutted the insides already.

The Molson Bank aka James Joyce looks like the most well preserved in terms of interior and exterior and it looks like it is staying put in the development.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:17 PM   #723
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posted this in the YYC thread:

I'm in the commercial real estate industry. There is strong speculation that the development would be Suncor's new HQ location. Their lease in Suncor Energy Centre is up in 2028 (pretty sure) and they've been out in the market teasing a new development for the last couple of years. At first, most thought it was just a negotiation tactic to get their Landlord to renegotiate their lease early, but with this news, they may actually be doing it.

The other rumor was they want a development that would be run off 100% renewable energy, LEED & WELL certified. Basically using the office space to drive their ESG rating.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 09:32 PM   #724
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/8823491/m...tephen-avenue/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...enue-1.6448863

There is a proposal from Triovest to create a gigantic block development in Stephen Avenue that will tear down the dilapidated buildings on the C-Train side and keep only the facades of all the Heritage buildings on the Stephen Avenue side. This includes the Winners store down to the ATB branch. This includes a 66 story highrise which would be the tallest building yet in Calgary.
Would that take the title of "Tallest building in Canada outside Toronto" back from Edmonton's penis tower?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:25 PM   #725
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Is it still going to be just the high school or will it be a larger campus for younger students as well? Back in the day we had our kids on the wait-list for FCCA but we never followed through with that plan mostly because the thought of bussing across half the city seemed like an awful idea when they could walk 5 minutes to our community school.
Not totally sure, but it scored approval for a really cool high window that will capture a lot of solar gain and has some cool shutter tech to reduce cooling loads. Should look awesome.

I do know the people behind FFCA are ambitious around doing a big expansion so I’d think they will become more accessible to a wider range of ages in doing so.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:22 PM   #726
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I absolutely loved the 90's non-grande cherokees. Just such a perfect vehicle at the time. And I still love them when I see them now.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:28 AM   #727
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure this is a good thing in the whole proposal including the south Stephen Ave side. Certainly the North Side needs action and this is much better than the parkade that was proposed around 10 years ago. I don't like seeing all the historic buildings destroyed and only the facades kept but there are stores that need revitalization like that old Sportchek store that has sat empty for a few years now.
Wasn't one of the criticisms of the parkade proposal the lack of sufficient vehicle access (Centre St. and 1st St. SW being the only access points)? How could they possibly accommodate the # of vehicles that would be trying to park within these buildings? Left turns off of those streets would be hugely disruptive to traffic and disallowing them would cause a lot of circling of the blocks to get in position to enter with right turns only.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:42 AM   #728
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Wasn't one of the criticisms of the parkade proposal the lack of sufficient vehicle access (Centre St. and 1st St. SW being the only access points)? How could they possibly accommodate the # of vehicles that would be trying to park within these buildings? Left turns off of those streets would be hugely disruptive to traffic and disallowing them would cause a lot of circling of the blocks to get in position to enter with right turns only.
This is a very good point. If JPold is right and this is Suncor's new office, it's going to have a huge underground parkade and the only viable entry/exit is across from the Hyatt on centre street.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-12-2022 at 11:13 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:01 PM   #729
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
This is a very good point. If JPold is right and this is Suncor's new office, it's going to have a huge underground parkade and the only viable entry/exit is across from the Hyatt on centre street.
I may be wrong but I don't think either of those streets handle what little traffic they currently have particularly well.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:18 AM   #730
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevishot View Post
Its a new carstar location.
Also looks like a car wash is going in there as well.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:17 PM   #731
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lots of fallacies to be unpacked in this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
often times, I think people get too nostalgic / sentimental about buildings that are no longer in use and are likely impeding growth as cities grow.
These buildings are not "impeding growth", they're already surrounded by high-rise towers.

Quote:
Many of these proposed buildings for demolition are dilapidated and are sitting empty / underused as is.
The ones along 8th, not at all. The ones along 7th Ave, sure. They are sad examples of "demolition by neglect", where deliberately neglecting their maintenance has made them attractive targets for tearing down.

Quote:
That is a very, very central / high-value block that can be a catalyst for other development in the core going forward
The city's tallest building is kitty-corner from the NW corner of this block, the second-tallest building is one block from the NE corner of this block, and the third-tallest building is quite literally right across the street. What exactly would this new development "catalyze" that hasn't already been "catalyzed"...?

Quote:
We don't keep most cars that become outdated, or appliances or clothes (we buy new goods), so why don't we hold buildings to the same standard?
We don't keep most buildings. Only an eensy weensy, teeny tiny proportion of buildings in this city are anywhere near as old as the ones being torn down in this proposal. 99.99999...% of all buildings from the 1890s are gone. To use cars as an analogy, these are the Curved Dash Oldsmobiles of our city: the handful left.

Quote:
Sure, keep ones that have a unique history and still can serve a physical purpose; keep them if you have the resources to restore or modernize them (the St. Louis Hotel and the King Edward Hotel come to mind).
They all have unique histories and can still serve a purpose.

Quote:
But we should really not let nostalgia, NIMBYism and predictable fear of change get in the way of something that can be transformational for an urban core, likely resulting in something greater than the sum of its parts.
This will not be "transformational for our urban core, resulting in something greater than the sum of its parts"; that's pure marketing-speak bull####.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 04:46 PM   #732
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a more happy note - there's a new KFC in the strip mall on the SW corner of 19th Street NW and 16th Ave. Even has a drive thru I think.

Yes, I love my IM Chicken, Wow Chicken, and Chicken on the Way. But KFC has it's place in the pyramid of fried chicken goodness...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:19 PM   #733
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
On a more happy note - there's a new KFC in the strip mall on the SW corner of 19th Street NW and 16th Ave. Even has a drive thru I think.

Yes, I love my IM Chicken, Wow Chicken, and Chicken on the Way. But KFC has it's place in the pyramid of fried chicken goodness...
Was that old Burger King or something that closed down a long time ago?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:10 PM   #734
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was that old Burger King or something that closed down a long time ago?
If it's where I'm thinking of it was a good Thai restaurant not too long ago
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:16 PM   #735
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
If it's where I'm thinking of it was a good Thai restaurant not too long ago
That sounds right. Before the Thai it was a Burger King. I meant to try that Thai place for quite a while and never got around to it.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:42 PM   #736
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That sounds right. Before the Thai it was a Burger King. I meant to try that Thai place for quite a while and never got around to it.
It was a very good Thai place. Sorry to hear it's not there anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 08:03 PM   #737
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, I should have been more clear - Juree's Thai's Place is still there (and great). This KFC replaced the Second Cup shop, between the CIBC and Highlander Liquor store.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #738
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Earl of Sandwich is opening May 2022 at South Trail Crossing
Looks like they started hiring on kijiji. So should open soon.

Source: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-bar-food-hos...ing/1616309847

Favorite sandwich spot on earth!

Usually pick up a sandwich to go at Planet Hollywood before flying home from Vegas!

Only fourth location in Canada. Edmonton has two now.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamescuprun2018 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2022, 12:38 PM   #739
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I see there was a building demolished on fourth and 11 ave sw, must be something new coming there now.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:15 PM   #740
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Lots of fallacies to be unpacked in this post:

These buildings are not "impeding growth", they're already surrounded by high-rise towers.

The ones along 8th, not at all. The ones along 7th Ave, sure. They are sad examples of "demolition by neglect", where deliberately neglecting their maintenance has made them attractive targets for tearing down.

The city's tallest building is kitty-corner from the NW corner of this block, the second-tallest building is one block from the NE corner of this block, and the third-tallest building is quite literally right across the street. What exactly would this new development "catalyze" that hasn't already been "catalyzed"...?

We don't keep most buildings. Only an eensy weensy, teeny tiny proportion of buildings in this city are anywhere near as old as the ones being torn down in this proposal. 99.99999...% of all buildings from the 1890s are gone. To use cars as an analogy, these are the Curved Dash Oldsmobiles of our city: the handful left.

They all have unique histories and can still serve a purpose.

This will not be "transformational for our urban core, resulting in something greater than the sum of its parts"; that's pure marketing-speak bull####.
I'm fairly sure Muta has never actually been in Calgary or any other downtown anywhere on earf.