Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2021, 08:32 AM   #41
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The mall in Camrose feels very old school
Is it still called Duggan Mall? That was such a small town type mall name.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #42
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That mall in Lake Bonavista has ancient vibe (don't tell Sliver).

https://bonavistapromenade.ca/
I love that dirt mall.

Pre-COVID we’d get our massages at the spa up stairs, then after 60 minutes in a calm candle lit room we’d be eased out of our post massage stupor by strolling around in 1989 for a while.

Why is there two stores devoted to funko pop figures?
Why is the consignment store always having a “one weekend only” sale... and yet folks are always lined up?
How the heck does that wig store stay in business?
Is the dim sum any good? Maybe one day we’ll try it, but lets do Brewsters again.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:57 AM   #43
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

What's Beddington Mall like these days? I haven't been there since the 90's, but I'd be surprised if it changed much.

I can't hear "old mall" and not think of the mall in Huntington, just up off of 64 Ave. NW that had the All-West in it... dented cans only! What a weird weird spot for a mall that was.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #44
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
I love that dirt mall.

Pre-COVID we’d get our massages at the spa up stairs, then after 60 minutes in a calm candle lit room we’d be eased out of our post massage stupor by strolling around in 1989 for a while.

Why is the consignment store always having a “one weekend only” sale... and yet folks are always lined up?
Is the dim sum any good? Maybe one day we’ll try it, but lets do Brewsters again.
Jeans Addiction. That store is amazing. I buy all my jeans there - super expensive designer jeans for $60 each and you can't tell them apart from brand new. So much selection, too, and the staff are super helpful in getting you the best fitting jeans. Anybody who goes there becomes evangelical about it...there's just no better spot to buy jeans anywhere.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #45
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Jeans Addiction. That store is amazing. I buy all my jeans there - super expensive designer jeans for $60 each and you can't tell them apart from brand new. So much selection, too, and the staff are super helpful in getting you the best fitting jeans. Anybody who goes there becomes evangelical about it...there's just no better spot to buy jeans anywhere.
That's because the owner is the Rain Man of jeans. She spins you around and tells you what your exact size and fit should be and tells you why the jeans you are currently wearing make you look like the homeless lady from Home Alone 2.

The mall has so many other amazing peculiarities. The Travel Lady has her office there. There is a printer cartridge refill shop and it is one of the biggest and best store fronts in the mall. All for $12 cartridge refills.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 09:30 AM   #46
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

The service at the game trader is also widely inconsistent.

I went in there one day with an old Super Nintendo and a stack of games, expecting to walk out with $15 and $4.15 in store credit, ended up getting around $60 cash even though they rejected the Nintendo due to some damage on one of the ports.

A few months later I went in with a stack of xbox 360 game and was offered nothing, not even store credit.

I’m not complaining actually, that’s exactly the type of Kevin Smith clerks service I want from 1989.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 09:34 AM   #47
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I went in there one day with an old Super Nintendo and a stack of games, expecting to walk out with $15 and $4.15 in store credit, ended up getting around $60 cash even though they rejected the Nintendo due to some damage on one of the ports.

A few months later I went in with a stack of xbox 360 game and was offered nothing, not even store credit.

I’m not complaining actually, that’s exactly the type of Kevin Smith clerks service I want from 1989.
Yeah one employee will literally walk around the store with you and your kids explaining each game and what it's like and asking what they like and then the next employee seems pissed off to have to talk to someone who doesn't do speed runs of Mario.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:50 AM   #48
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
I love that dirt mall.

I don't remember two Funko stores, I think one is the comic book shop? I believe they're both owned by the same person. I think maybe the same guy who runs the video game store?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #49
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I don't remember two Funko stores, I think one is the comic book shop? I believe they're both owned by the same person. I think maybe the same guy who runs the video game store?
Yeah I’m being a little hyperbolic. There’s one store that is 100% funko pop figures... but I feel like the comic book stores front display is 60-80% funko pop and even the game trader may have a few if I’m remembering correct.

I guess what I’m saying is the saturation of funko pop figures in that tiny mall feels like Starbucks locations in Seattle. The isn’t literally 3 on every block, it just feels like it.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #50
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:

It doesn't sound unreasonable. Why would they take your 360 games when they have a mountain of them that no one wants to buy? There's a reason the Super Nintendo games are in a locked shelf and the 360 games are out in the open.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #51
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
It doesn't sound unreasonable. Why would they take your 360 games when they have a mountain of them that no one wants to buy? There's a reason the Super Nintendo games are in a locked shelf and the 360 games are out in the open.
Well not all of us follow the used game market as closely as others.

For all I know one of the Super Nintendo games was worth $150 on eBay, or they dug the system out of their recycling bin 30 seconds after I left and refurbished it with a $2 part.

Just let me have my chuckle at my adventures in the dirt mall. I’m not trying to be reasonable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 10:21 AM   #52
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabaracci_31 View Post
Let the record show that I had an adult McDonald’s birthday party at Cold Garden in October 2019. I had a legit kids one in the Glenmore Landing McDonald’s in the early 90’s. Thought it would be fun to bring it back, adult style. Birthdays are kind of ridiculous as an adult, and I like to embrace that. My wife and I went all out, getting a bunch of McDonalds pins and Happy Meal toys from Crossroads Market. The Grimace and Hamburglar pins went fast among my friends. On an unrelated note, McNuggets and IPA’s are a lethal combination...

I’ve been checking out these malls on Google. I’m familiar with most of the Calgary ones but there’s some nice surprises. That mall in Camrose is wild! Of everywhere I’ve looked at, it’s the closest to what I want. That movie theatre!! As someone who grew up right by Chinook Mall in the 90’s, these posts are giving me a chuckle. I have a musical side project (surfy garage rock) that I’m calling Easy Street as an ode to the arcade. Thanks again for all your posts. Really grateful for this community. I can’t believe I almost posted about this on Facebook instead.

Easy Street! I was just trying to remember the name of that place on the weekend, and now I have it thanks to you. Pretty sure there was one in Sunridge too, or somewhere in the NE.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:26 PM   #53
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
That's all 90s postmodern
Shows how limited my architectural knowledge is - felt late 80s to me.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:10 PM   #54
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so tempted to take a day off and go tour all these malls I've never been in.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #55
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The mall in Camrose feels very old school
Good ole Duggan Mall! Grew up shopping in that Mecca of classic Canadiana. San Francisco, Zellers and a Wizards Castle!

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 06:36 PM   #56
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
What's Beddington Mall like these days? I haven't been there since the 90's, but I'd be surprised if it changed much.

I can't hear "old mall" and not think of the mall in Huntington, just up off of 64 Ave. NW that had the All-West in it... dented cans only! What a weird weird spot for a mall that was.
We must have grown up in the same area
That All West mall also had a bowling alley and a gear pizza place (Venice House) I think
Beddington Mall now has the two anchors (london drugs and Safeway) some medical stuff and not much else
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:56 PM   #57
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Good ole Duggan Mall! Grew up shopping in that Mecca of classic Canadiana. San Francisco, Zellers and a Wizards Castle!
Oh ####! San Francisco! A blast from my youth days in Marlborough Mall!

Does that chain still have any stores open?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:42 PM   #58
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Midnapore mall is still the same dump it was back in 2001, pretty sure the smell of Value Village still permeates the entire mall
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:55 PM   #59
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I remember when there was a K-Mart on Elbow Drive.

Woolco on Macleod and Southland.

Woodwards at Chinook.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #60
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I remember when there was a K-Mart on Elbow Drive.

Woolco on Macleod and Southland.

Woodwards at Chinook.
and a Woolworths at Chinook. i prefer the simplicity of the old chinook with Sears at the one end. ahhh good times
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote