Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2021, 02:24 PM   #1241
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good collision repair shop for Toyota/Lexus? Had a hit-and-run into my parked Landcruiser this morning (but we found the guy), and need to take it in for some estimates. Mostly cosmetic from what I can tell, but you never know.
Does it need to be Toyota/Lexus specific?

I took my GMC to Artisan International Autobody for some rust repair when no one else would touch it. Family run - the owner moved here from Switzerland and is a huuuuuuge Porsche guy. I spent an entire afternoon bs'ing with him. Best autobody I've ever been to - clearly loves what he does. PM if you want to discuss, I can send pics too, they detailed the whole process.

EDIT: Oh, and to add, you're wrong about grills on EVs. Cars just look goofy without.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 02-09-2021 at 02:26 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2021, 02:27 PM   #1242
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love that Etron GT. I'd love one. Or a Taycan. Wouldn't care. I'm also very happy Tesla isn't the only player in the game. So bland. I still want character and comfort in our whips even when they go EV.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:27 PM   #1243
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Does it need to be Toyota/Lexus specific?

I took my GMC to Artisan International Autobody for some rust repair when no one would touch it. Family run - the owner moved here from Switzerland and is a huuuuuuge Porsche guy. I spent an entire afternoon bs'ing with him. Best autobody I've ever been to - clearly loves what he does. PM if you want to discuss, I can send pics too, they detailed the whole process.
Definitely doesn't have to be, but since its a somewhat rarer model thats on the older side, figured it may help. But I don't think this will require anything too crazy, so just someone who can do a good job is all that's needed. I will definitely check out Artisan, thanks.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, and to add, you're wrong about grills on EVs. Cars just look goofy without.
How can you say that as a Porsche guy!? Their cars have basically never had grilles.

Last edited by Table 5; 02-09-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #1244
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How can you say that as a Porsche guy!? Their cars have basically never had grilles.
Hahaha touche, I should have qualified that statement.

The Taycan does not look goofy without. Cars with styling that was obviously chosen because the engine is in the front, look goofy without a grill. The Audi, is still styled very much like a front-engine ICE - in which case I think removing the grill would make it look odd.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:44 PM   #1245
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's crazy to look at the interior of the Audi, and the Tesla. they couldn't be more different. And I honestly don't know how you could choose the Tesla.

Spoiler!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2021, 02:44 PM   #1246
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I will definitely check out Artisan, thanks.
If you go with them, let me know how it goes!
Old 02-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #1247
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Taycan does not look goofy without. Cars with styling that was obviously chosen because the engine is in the front, look goofy without a grill. The Audi, is still styled very much like a front-engine ICE - in which case I think removing the grill would make it look odd.
Which to me is a bit of a missed opportunity. This is a car, based on an EV without a grille, that gave them an opportunity to design it from scratch without a grille too. Why style it to make it look like an ICE?
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #1248
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which to me is a bit of a missed opportunity. This is a car, based on an EV without a grille, that gave them an opportunity to design it from scratch without a grille too. Why style it to make it look like an ICE?
From any of the established car makers, I think it's a good play. To go and make jarring changes I think your average consumer is going to say "Well that looks nothing like an Audi" and possibly move on to another brand.

For the Rivians and Cybertrucks of the world it's easy. There's no lineage or design history. I don't think you see design drastically going away from the ICE era until you see mass adoption, and I think you see mass adoption sooner if people can buy something familiar.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #1249
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good collision repair shop for Toyota/Lexus? Had a hit-and-run into my parked Landcruiser this morning (but we found the guy), and need to take it in for some estimates. Mostly cosmetic from what I can tell, but you never know.
I had a great experience at Maranello, but that was 8 years ago or so. Not Toyota/Lexus specific, but he had a lot of “cool” vehicles on the lot when I was there and I believe he was the go to for many of the BMW and MB dealers in the city. It felt funny bringing my Mazda SUV in there for a minor repair as he was also working on a Porsche and a Lamborghini in his shop.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2021, 03:17 PM   #1250
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
From any of the established car makers, I think it's a good play. To go and make jarring changes I think your average consumer is going to say "Well that looks nothing like an Audi" and possibly move on to another brand.

For the Rivians and Cybertrucks of the world it's easy. There's no lineage or design history. I don't think you see design drastically going away from the ICE era until you see mass adoption, and I think you see mass adoption sooner if people can buy something familiar.
I don't know, we're not talking about a lowly Q crossover here...you don't need to sell this to real estate agents and soccer moms. This thing is more or less a halo car and I think they could've taken a bit of a leap here with that design element. I also think people who buy EV want to peacock a bit, making sure others KNOW the are driving an EV.

Don't get me wrong though, it's still a pretty cool looking car.

Last edited by Table 5; 02-09-2021 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:22 PM   #1251
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you care about the vehicle, Maranello is the best in Calgary.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2021, 05:05 PM   #1252
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Re: Maranello...it also was right in the ballpark of the other quotes I got at the time. So it wasn’t as if you were paying a crazy premium.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:14 PM   #1253
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Audi interior is button and control overload.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2021, 08:23 PM   #1254
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Re: Maranello...it also was right in the ballpark of the other quotes I got at the time. So it wasn’t as if you were paying a crazy premium.
Maranello does a lot of high-end dealer work and I'd say the vast majority of high-end consumer jobs, so they can be a little hit and miss when it comes to taking on jobs that are neither severe or more, err, normal cars... Certainly worth a shot, because if you can get it in there, you'll get the best result. Just wanted to give a heads-up incase they're mysteriously "too busy".
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #1255
fulham
Backup Goalie

Exp:

2021 Subaru Crossteck

or

2021 Mazda 3 AWD Turbo

want out of a rapidly depreciating German car, for something AWD that retains its value well.
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #1256
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulham View Post
2021 Subaru Crossteck

or

2021 Mazda 3 AWD Turbo

want out of a rapidly depreciating German car, for something AWD that retains its value well.
The new Mazda 3 is a really nice car. I haven't been in Crosstrek recently but had one as a rental a few years ago. It wasn't terrible but it was definitely underwhelming. I don't know if they have updated it recently. If you care about interior details and styling the Mazda is the better choice. The Mazda also has a more modern and refined engine and transmission. The only benefit of the Subaru is the better AWD system and I think it is slightly larger.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:07 AM   #1257
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulham View Post
2021 Subaru Crossteck

or

2021 Mazda 3 AWD Turbo

The Mazda is probably the better overall vehicle but if you are putting a heavy emphasis on depreciation then you should get the Subaru.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:26 AM   #1258
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Audi interior is button and control overload.
Give me buttons for everything. Down with touchscreen controls in cars!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #1259
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
There is some crazy good pricing on the new 2021 f150 2 year leases, specifically the lariat with the 2.7L v6 engine.

Anyone have one? Thoughts?

Anyone considering one?

I've got a 2014 f150 FX4 3.5L right now. Considering selling it to get a 2021 to drive for 2 years.

Here is the RFD discussion about it - https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ford.../52/#p33981251 (link goes to a specific message on a truck that a Calgarian ordered).

$13k all-in to drive a brand new f150 for 2 years seems pretty good.
Has anyone talked to any Calgary dealer on this or have a contact that would honor a similar deal?
Old 02-11-2021, 10:20 AM   #1260
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Has anyone talked to any Calgary dealer on this or have a contact that would honor a similar deal?
There are quite a few pages of discussion over on Beyond about this. Cam Clark and Woodridge were mentioned for sure. I think a couple others as well.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post: