Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2022, 07:51 AM   #3421
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

It looks like the love child of a CLA and a Beetle, and when you see the back end you detect some Civic type r in the bloodline.

^^I always kinda liked the Juke.
speede5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:56 AM   #3422
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
You don't drive from the outside...

Hyundai is killing it right now. Especially with anything with Genesis badging.
They totally are killing it. Also love how each of their models actually look different instead of everything following the exact same corporate design language regardless of how well it suits different vehicles of differing proportions in their lineup.

Hey, total aside, but is bmw going to fataing address their completely ruined front ends at some point soon? We're all agreeing not to buy one of those fugly things in protest, correct? They make me physically ill when I see one.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:58 AM   #3423
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's got the same kinda swoop arch as the Alpha, but I think the Alpha looks a lot better.

Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 08:10 AM   #3424
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well but that misses the point which is lowering the drag to increase range.

Honestly I have no particular love for electric cars other than as practical mediums of transport but what Hyundai is doing makes me think they might get it to a point where I decide to get one literally for that "practical transport" purpose... they're getting close. If you're looking at over 600 km of range, some cabin comfort and workable technology, a decent warranty from a reputable manufacturer that can be relied on to physically and mechanically assemble a vehicle with minimal jank (i.e. not Tesla) and an 18 minute 10 to 80 charging time... it's getting mighty tempting.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:14 AM   #3425
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with range increases from low drag is as soon as you start adding things like a roof rack, or bike rack, or tassels, range takes a big hit. Not an issue for everyone, but something to keep in mind if you plan to do that with an EV.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:36 AM   #3426
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would probably be an issue if you were getting an Ioniq 5. I would think with that 6 very few people would want to add a roof rack to the thing.

I'm mainly thinking about driving from here to Vancouver in the summer... suppose you leave in the morning, stop in Revelstoke for lunch, plug the car in while you eat, and off you go the rest of the way without worrying about running out of battery. That's a pretty decent way to do that trip, and if the Ioniq 5 having a reported 450+ km of range and this one presumably being better, it's getting pretty close to where that's a feasible trip.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:41 AM   #3427
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would probably be better with 2 charge stops. You aren't getting an EV battery to 100% quickly, particularity after a long drive. So you'd charge to 80%, and move on. Plus with the mountains I'd think range isn't quite as good. Plus you have to pin it often to get around all the slow pokes on the 2 lane roads...
Old 06-29-2022, 08:44 AM   #3428
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The problem with range increases from low drag is as soon as you start adding things like a roof rack, or bike rack, or tassels, range takes a big hit. Not an issue for everyone, but something to keep in mind if you plan to do that with an EV.
Not going to be great for Subaru owners who like to drive around with containers on their roof even when they aren't using them.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:45 AM   #3429
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not going to be great for Subaru owners who like to drive around with containers on their roof even when they aren't using them.
Yeah, but it says, “I go places!” and that’s what’s important.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 08:46 AM   #3430
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Ioniq 5 is a cool looking car. Now I look at the new one and all I see is a CLA. That’s a shame because I’m a fan of Hyundai’s current style across the range, however borrowed it might be.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:43 AM   #3431
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's got the same kinda swoop arch as the Alpha, but I think the Alpha looks a lot better.

That is cool, the side view, fenders and even the roofline really remind me of a TR6 with a hardtop.
speede5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:58 AM   #3432
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Ioniq 6 is one fugly vehicle. The exterior anyway.

I think we need more interesting looking vehicles. Subaru Tribeca, Nissan Juke, Tesla Cybertruck!
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:15 AM   #3433
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
All these screens introduce more points of failure, especially when you leave a vehicle outside in -20 to -30 degree weather. That being said, I've yet to have my infotainment screens act up in cold weather. *knock on wood*
Not to mention that all of this new tech keeps driving the price of vehicles up.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:24 AM   #3434
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah, but it says, “I go places!” and that’s what’s important.
Once upon a time we rented a basement suite near University Drive and the people upstairs drove an Outback and half the time they had a canoe tied to the roof rack. They were university students.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 04:15 PM   #3435
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

From this angle, I actually got kind of a Citroen vibe. But the rest of the angles quashed that.

Spoiler!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 04:51 PM   #3436
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
From this angle, I actually got kind of a Citroen vibe. But the rest of the angles quashed that.

Spoiler!
That was my initial thoughts too, maybe that's why I am not a fan.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:38 PM   #3437
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I see a lot of '68-'74 Citroen DS at the front, a lot of Porsche 911 at the back, and the glass and c-pillar remind me a lot of the Mercedes-Benz CLA and CLS as others have noted. I think this looks quite a bit better than the CLA though; they cut a lot of the visual 'heft' of the CLA out by having bigger wheels & tires.

Spoiler!

The proportion of sheetmetal between the bottom of the beltline and the top of the wheel well is much smaller in the Ioniq 6, making it look a lot more svelte to me.

I watched a YouTube video about the car yesterday:

At 12:50ish he has a seat inside it and there's loads of headroom, unlike the CLA/CLS. I think they've managed to make this car look a lot sleeker than its actual dimensions would have you believe. Not unlike the Ioniq 5, which inch-for-inch is actually a pretty big car on the spec sheet but doesn't look it in person.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:22 PM   #3438
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Citroen? Yes. Taycan? Not at all.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:31 PM   #3439
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I've been waiting for screen side view mirrors since like '92 when cadillac had it on some concept car. It's genius. Side view mirrors are one of those fixtures that has never been re-addressed because how do you improve on that? Well, when you can make what used to be 10" x 6" on the side of a car become a little 1" x 1" camera and bring the screen inside the vehicle beside your gauge cluster, you've absolutely improved things. And we have screens and cameras sorted out at this point. I'm not worried about the reliability of the tech. Anything they can do to cars to change up some of the things we take for granted always interests me. That is an option I would totally be interested in.
The screens better be bright as hell to be visible when low sun is hitting them. My backup cameras are useless in those conditions.

Also people with poor near vision are using their distance vison/lenses when using an actual mirror. The screen necessitates your vision at the distance of the screen itself is good. Can you see the tiny motorbike ripping up at 200km/h in the lane beside you on the screen with your old man eyes and glasses?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:05 PM   #3440
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's one reason why digital mirrors suck, with science:

https://www.theautopian.com/digital-...-with-science/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: