Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #281
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gonna do this starting Monday. Hope this can keep me in somewhat good shape for when the ball hockey season starts up again.

https://www.beachbodyondemand.com/bl...s-amoila-cesar
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:17 AM   #282
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wifes gym has released a 7 day free trial and are releasing at home workouts.

It's a great gym in beltline and certainly could use some support if anyone is feeling like at home workouts

https://revivelifestylefitness.com/
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:59 AM   #283
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Bumping!

I have confusion and I'm wondering if anyone(s) can guide me.

When this whole COVID thing went down I weighed roughly 174 give or take. A couple years prior I was almost 200, but lost the weight by going to a Keto diet. I hated working out, so I played hockey once or twice a week and was doing spin class every so often, but I was always hovering around that 174 mark.

Since COVID I have started doing Kettlebells (100 Swings plus some other exercises) at home and yoga and the odd HIIT routine on YouTube. Check the old scale the other day and I'm sitting at 184.

I was shocked - I'm counting calories (roughly 1600/day), still eating Keto, arguably more active than I was pre-COVID, trying to exercise moderately everyday or other day.

What is happening?

Am I eating too little?
Am I too Stressed?
Has my body adapted to Keto?
Do I need way more cardio?
Is my Thyroid messed up?
Has my metabolism crashed?

What can I do to get back to my fighting weight? Because I'm at a loss.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #284
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well first, muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're doing weight training and adding muscle, yeah, the scale will go up.

Do you pass the mirror test? How do your clothes fit? Better before or better now? Without knowing your body composition at 174 lbs and now at 184 lbs, it's hard to say what's gone on except that you've likely gained mass in the form of muscle (and inescapably a bit of fat).

Try weighing yourself over the course of a week. Water retention can swing your weight as much as 7 lbs. Also, make sure your scale is properly calibrated. Put a dumbbell or kettlebell that you know the weight of on the thing and make sure the weight is accurate.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #285
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Well first, muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're doing weight training and adding muscle, yeah, the scale will go up.

Do you pass the mirror test? How do your clothes fit? Better before or better now? Without knowing your body composition at 174 lbs and now at 184 lbs, it's hard to say what's gone on except that you've likely gained mass in the form of muscle (and inescapably a bit of fat).

Try weighing yourself over the course of a week. Water retention can swing your weight as much as 7 lbs. Also, make sure your scale is properly calibrated. Put a dumbbell or kettlebell that you know the weight of on the thing and make sure the weight is accurate.
I wondered about the weight of muscle...though I have noticed I've gone up a rung on the belt buckle, so it's not much, but it's definitely happening.

I gave the scale trick a try and it's spot on, so the scale is all good.

I'll do the 7 day weight checks.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #286
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
Bumping!

When this whole COVID thing went down I weighed roughly 174 give or take. A couple years prior I was almost 200, but lost the weight by going to a Keto diet. I hated working out, so I played hockey once or twice a week and was doing spin class every so often, but I was always hovering around that 174 mark.

Since COVID I have started doing Kettlebells (100 Swings plus some other exercises) at home and yoga and the odd HIIT routine on YouTube. Check the old scale the other day and I'm sitting at 184.

I was shocked - I'm counting calories (roughly 1600/day), still eating Keto, arguably more active than I was pre-COVID, trying to exercise moderately everyday or other day.

What is happening?

Am I eating too little?
Am I too Stressed?
Is my Thyroid messed up?

Thanks
-You could be eating too little and your body gets accustomed to it. Then you need to cut even further to get a deficit which isn't good.

-You could be gaining muscle weight

-Weight fluctuates throughout the day and week. Weigh yourself at the same time daily and use a weekly average to really know if you're at 184.
you might weigh in again tomorrow and be at 179 first thing in the morning.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #287
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh and I know we're not allowed to say it, but could be the Keto too. It's not sustainable for long term success in most people.

(ducks from the keto army throwing things)
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #288
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Bumping!

What is happening?

Am I eating too little?
Am I too Stressed?
Is my Thyroid messed up?

Thanks
I've actually been gaining weight while doing kettlebell workouts too. During Covid, I bought a somewhat heavy kettlebell (65 lbs and I weigh 165 lbs). I used that 3-4 times a week during Covid. Now that gyms are open again, I continue to use the kettlebell 1-2 times a week, because in 5-10 minutes, you can get a pretty crazy workout.

One thing I've noticed about kettlebell workouts is that they really works your posterior muscles: hamstrings, glutes, back, etc.. These are also very big muscles. So when they get even slightly bigger you will put on significant weight.

The biggest test for me is always, how do my belts and pants fit. If my waist isn't getting bigger, I'm not fatter and weight gain is positive.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #289
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Oh and I know we're not allowed to say it, but could be the Keto too. It's not sustainable for long term success in most people.

(ducks from the keto army throwing things)
Good stuff, thank you.

Keto is good it got me out of chubby zone, but I do feel ready to move on from it. I’m apprehensive to move off it though as without “rules” to follow I eat terribly.

If I go off, what should I avoid at all costs in the way I eat? I know these aren’t good:

- Refined Carbs
- Sugar
- Bad Fats
- Too many calories
- Anything else I’m missing?

Any good balanced food guides out there you suggest?
Old 10-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #290
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I've actually been gaining weight while doing kettlebell workouts too. During Covid, I bought a somewhat heavy kettlebell (65 lbs and I weigh 165 lbs). I used that 3-4 times a week during Covid. Now that gyms are open again, I continue to use the kettlebell 1-2 times a week, because in 5-10 minutes, you can get a pretty crazy workout.

One thing I've noticed about kettlebell workouts is that they really works your posterior muscles: hamstrings, glutes, back, etc.. These are also very big muscles. So when they get even slightly bigger you will put on significant weight.

The biggest test for me is always, how do my belts and pants fit. If my waist isn't getting bigger, I'm not fatter and weight gain is positive.
That’s awesome. I’m at a 40lb weight now and it’s amazing how fast you move up. I started at 25, went to 32, and now at 40 in a fairly short span. That’s where I’m wondering if cardio is something I have to integrate - the built muscle is pushing the fat out so to speak.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #291
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I think about your situation, the more I think you may be missing 'hidden calories' somewhere.

Sticking to 1,600 calories a day should be a huge weekly loss in weight unless you are like 5 feet tall and don't exercise, and you exercise regularly. That whole 'starvation mode' thing is bollocks.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #292
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have a favorite tutorial channel or site?

I just bought a rowing machine and want some ideas for which programs to do for my goals and proper form. the first couple youtube videos have been a bit vague and I want to be careful with my back.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #293
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Muscle does weigh more than fat per volume but that doesn't mean you gain 'actual' weight when you're working out at a calorie deficit, it's impossible.

If you're entirely sure you're eating 1600 calories a day, then it's almost certainly water retention.

What could be happening though is your work out is promoting water retention. If you haven't worked out those muscles, the micro tears can cause inflammation and water weight.

Stress does impact cortisol levels which does impact fluid retention. It's certainly been stressful for us all.

Salt levels will also have an impact if you've changed your diet.

If you're not getting enough water, ironically, you may also be retaining water as your body adopts to retain water.

The type of food you eat can heavily impact water weight as well if it absorbs it in your stomach (think buns and the like absorbing a bunch of water as you digest although I realize that's less likely with keto).

If you were weighing yourself after an intense hockey game and sweating bullets compared to now where maybe the workout you are doing isn't as sweat intensive.

However, I would say the vast majority of times it comes down just poor calorie counting. You said "roughly", speaking from my own experience, is it possible you're not counting the sauce you put on your steak? Did you have a handful of peanuts but forgot to count them? Did you eat 1500 for 6 days but had a cheat day where you didn't count and just roughly estimated 1600 for the week? Is possible you're underestimating the weight of the food you're eating?
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #294
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
That’s awesome. I’m at a 40lb weight now and it’s amazing how fast you move up. I started at 25, went to 32, and now at 40 in a fairly short span. That’s where I’m wondering if cardio is something I have to integrate - the built muscle is pushing the fat out so to speak.
I started off with a 53lbs when Covid started. My Covid goal was to do 3 sets of 20 Russian swings and 20 goblet squats straight without putting the kettlebell down. Trying to do the same thing now with the 62 lbs (not 65lbs, just looked up the pood conversion, yes they measure kettlebells in a unit called poods).

Prior to starting with the kettlebell, my posterior chain was really lagging, now it's caught up and the effect on my running and lifts is great. It's hard to describe but it feels like my posterior chain is pushing me along as I run. Even lifts like my bench are increasing, as my body is more stable.

I'm still doing cardio, although the kettlebell work is helping. Not only do you get a cardio hit from it, but it also improves your breathing. You have to get into a rhythm with your breathing with the kettlebell work, and it really translates well to other types of exercise.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #295
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The more I think about your situation, the more I think you may be missing 'hidden calories' somewhere.

Sticking to 1,600 calories a day should be a huge weekly loss in weight unless you are like 5 feet tall and don't exercise, and you exercise regularly. That whole 'starvation mode' thing is bollocks.
Yeah, thinking about it, maintenance is probably 2000 calories at least for a 175lbs male. If he's working out on top of that and not losing weight. There's likely excess calories coming in somewhere.

I do think there is some truth to starvation mode. For example, if I go too long without eating enough, I start to get lethargic and light headed. I can feel my metabolism shutting down a bit. That being said, your body has to obey the laws of thermodynamics.

You're probably correct, if you're out being active and only eating 1600 calories a day, you're probably not gaining weight.

Although like other posters have said, there could be water retention. If you start regularly using a muscle you weren't using much before, particularly for high rep exercise, your body will begin to put glycogen stores in those muscles, and more water will flood in. A lot of people who start a running routine notice this a lot. They gain weight despite looking visibly leaner.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #296
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good stuff, thank you.

Keto is good it got me out of chubby zone, but I do feel ready to move on from it. I’m apprehensive to move off it though as without “rules” to follow I eat terribly.

If I go off, what should I avoid at all costs in the way I eat? I know these aren’t good:

- Refined Carbs
- Sugar
- Bad Fats
- Too many calories
- Anything else I’m missing?

Any good balanced food guides out there you suggest?
I've done keto before too and it's great to kick start a fast loss and feel good about progress.

If moving back to a more balanced diet, just make sure you set your calorie and macro levels correctly and you'll be fine to re introduce carbs.

Good vs Bad fats, refined carbs vs healthy carbs and all of those sort of thoughts are important for your health, but over valued when discussing weight loss specifically.

It comes down to calorie deficits at the end of the day.
One mistake I know a lot of people make is eating too many "good fats". They might be good nutrient dense foods, but they are also incredibly high in calories and will still make you gain weight quickly if you consume too many calories.
Especially if your body is not in ketosis and burning those fats for fuel anymore.

Personally I find it hard to stick to a food guide and just go with a IIFYM approach. I set my macros and track them fully, then adjust what I'm eating throughout the day to hit them closely.

If a more strict meal plan works for you, that's great. I'm sure others can suggest some good ones. People have said good things about Noom.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:55 PM   #297
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ho. Le. Fuk.

I wanted to wear some nice clothes for brunch. Turns out I literally do not fit into anything I’ve owned more than 6 months. Closet full of dress pants, shirts, belts, sweaters that my fat ass has ballooned out of wearability. I knew I was really starting to turn into a porker, but pretty embarrassed right now.

I thought I had decent eating habits, but I’ve definitely not getting enough exercise. I guess I need to start a food diary or something, because I apparently have no sense of reality. I’m seriously doubtful of my ability to control my eating and stick to an exercise routine, but at the rate I’ve gained in two years I’m headed for morbid obesity before too long. F me
Old 04-17-2022, 09:52 AM   #298
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pandemic has been brutal for a lot of people. I, like many others, am still carrying the “quarantine 15” that I will be working hard to shed now that the weather is getting better. I find trying to lose weight in the winter to be next to impossible as I hate going to the gym and do the vast majority of my exercise outside. When the weather turns cold all I want to do is sit on the couch, watch hockey, and eat crap.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."

Last edited by Redliner; 04-18-2022 at 10:56 AM.
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 08:55 PM   #299
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I’ve been okay through the pandemic and haven’t really gained too much or any weight. And it’s because I’ve stuck to my nutritional intake from monitoring calories and macronutrients.

I only track macronutrients for a few days at a time just to make sure I stay on track. But after doing it for a few years you know what foods you can eat and that’s what I stick with. I still eat junk food and fast food but If you stick to your main nutritional intake even 70% of the time I think you’ll be fine.

I plan on getting back to the gym soon and I’ll start with my current daily maintenance calorie number which is about 2400 for me right now. I’ll probably gain the weight I’m looking for just on those calories as I’m sure that I’m not hitting those daily currently. I’ll do this daily for 8 weeks and then do a weigh in and adjust up or down 10-15% or just stay with that number.

You have to look at your food intake as a science and you need real points such as daily maintenance calorie number and tracking macronutrients. It took me a while to understand it but I found the formulas and made my own spreadsheet and that’s how I track them. There’s an app or apps as well.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2022, 09:15 PM   #300
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Another thing to consider if you’re not doing it already is a cleanse. It could be why you’re gaining a lot of weight cause your system isn’t functioning properly.

Drink a gallon of water for a few days in a row with some greens and a bit of meat like chicken, that will do it if you’ve never done it before.

I do a mixed greens shake and that works for me every 2 months or so or if I have a bad stretch of not great eating for a few days in a row.

Last edited by Macman; 04-17-2022 at 09:44 PM.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote