Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2022, 04:10 PM   #4701
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Last Night in Soho was a huge disappointment. So thoroughly underwhelming. It meandered, the resolution wasn’t satisfying, the supernatural elements weren’t explored or explained, the mystery fell flat and it didn’t really explore any of the characters.

I can’t think of another writer or director who I think is less talented, makes more mediocre movies and yet continues to have a cult following than Edgar Wright. It’s bewildering to me that he’s popular. Most writers or directors I’m not a fan of who are popular, I tend to respect their skill and recognize that maybe their movies just aren’t for me. But not Wright. I think he just isn’t very talented. It’s been all downhill since Shawn of the Dead.
Well, that's one opinion I disagree with heavily.

I do agree Wright hasn't had a really good movie out since Scott Pilgrim, but his run of Shaun-Hot Fuzz-Scott Pilgrim is more great stuff than most directors ever put out in their career, and you don't hit that kind of streak without a ton of talent. Unfortunately his strength is in comedy, and that doesn't seem to interest him anymore.

I do agree that Last Night in Soho was really mediocre and not worth seeing unless you're a huge Anya Taylor-Joy fan.

On a completely unrelated note, Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers (2022) on Disney+ was surprisingly good.

It's a very Roger Rabbit -style movie, with cartoon characters living among real people. There's tons of metahumour as expected, things at times get pretty weird and kind of dark, and there's a lot of good jokes. It's not high art or particularly deep, but I was very thoroughly entertained, and it's an easy movie to recommend. If "a Roger Rabbit -style Chip n' Dale metamovie where Chip and Dale are aging cartoon actors who reunite after many years to play detectives in the real world" sounds like a movie you might enjoy, you probably won't be disappointed.

Oh, and I also watched "Titane", the 2021 Palm d'Or winner at Cannes film festival that was also France's entry into the Oscars. It's... not bad

If you go in expecting a very French arthouse film with weird horror elements and vague social commentary that's rather impossible to "get" exactly, you'll get what you're expecting. It's unusual, it's very deliberately shocking in multiple ways, it's mostly fairly entertaining if you're into dark topics and arthouse films, it takes odd turns, it has little in the way of a traditional story structure, it's kind of funny at some moments... and that's about what I can say about it.

It's the kind of movie that doesn't really try to be "good". It does what it wants to do, what it does is fairly interesting most of the time, it'll make a great conversation piece if you have artsy friends who like to decipher incomprehensible art films, and watching it will certainly give you +2 artsyfartsycredibility points for the next year or so. You might hate it, but you're unlikely to be bored.

Last edited by Itse; 06-22-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 05:41 PM   #4702
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roommie and I put on Small Engine Repair last night.

Pretty slow for the first 3/4. Almost turned it off to be honest. But the final act went to a place I never expected and was interestingly done. Recommend if you have some patience to get through the first bit, which seems very generic drama. The end becomes something else for sure.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:01 PM   #4703
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Dr.Strange was a very surprising to me big giant ball of meh. I think Raimis style has passed me by, I didn't vibe with it at all.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:20 PM   #4704
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
The new Dr.Strange was a very surprising to me big giant ball of meh. I think Raimis style has passed me by, I didn't vibe with it at all.
I...generally enjoyed it. It was a good movie...but I think I see where you're coming from.

It lacked a bit of Marvel's usual 'punch' and felt like it was a bit flat.

Initially I thought that might be the result of moving things to a position where there are no stakes anymore, but I'm not entirely sure.

It might be Raimi, I dont think so because it felt competently made.

But yeah...I get the 'meh' sentiment. It was a good movie, even a really good movie, I enjoyed it, but maybe they set the bar a little too high after Infinity War/Endgame/No Way Home so everything else falls a little flat.

Nobody did a bad job. The character of America was an excellent foil.

It could even be that turning Wanda into and out and out villain didnt resonate all that well? I cant quite put my finger on it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:34 PM   #4705
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I...generally enjoyed it. It was a good movie...but I think I see where you're coming from.

It lacked a bit of Marvel's usual 'punch' and felt like it was a bit flat.

Initially I thought that might be the result of moving things to a position where there are no stakes anymore, but I'm not entirely sure.

It might be Raimi, I dont think so because it felt competently made.

But yeah...I get the 'meh' sentiment. It was a good movie, even a really good movie, I enjoyed it, but maybe they set the bar a little too high after Infinity War/Endgame/No Way Home so everything else falls a little flat.

Nobody did a bad job. The character of America was an excellent foil.

It could even be that turning Wanda into and out and out villain didnt resonate all that well? I cant quite put my finger on it.

1st quarter of the movie felt rushed and the framing of the actors was off putting. Then yeah, having Wanda just owned by the madness of grief kinda didn't make sense. I figured they tied a nice little bow on that after Wandavision. Like she learned the principle.lesson the 1st time and then somehow as the scarlet witch, an evolved version of herself gets sucked into the dark power of a book pushing her to revisit the entire lesson she learned whilst killing untold volumes of beings along the way?

It was .... meh. Felt like a few writers hammered out a decent script and then went on a coke bender and did a re write.

Yeah the actors did well with what they were given but it felt really off.

I dont know. I'm gonna have to give it another watch. But upon 1st viewing it didn't jive for me.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #4706
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had "Back to the Future" on in the background over the weekend while I was prepping a Father's Day family dinner.

It's a perfect movie. It's so perfect that you continually notice how perfect it is as you're watching it.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:59 AM   #4707
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Back to the Future is one of my all-time favourites.

It came up in a conversation with my dad last year, talking about all the little continuity nods in the movie, and throughout the trilogy. E.g. in '85 the Toyota dealership where Marty's drooling over the pickup truck is Statler Toyota; in '55 they're a Studebaker dealer. (In 2015 they're Pontiac dealers; oops! )

I was surprised that 30+ years on he NEVER noticed what I thought was an obvious one: the name of the shopping mall where Doc and Marty test the time machine. In the original timeline it's Twin Pines Mall:

Spoiler!

When Marty goes back to 1955 and flees the Peabody farm he speeds away and takes out one of the pine trees at Mr. Peabody's mail box. Peabody exclaims: "Why you—! You space bastard, you killed my pine!"

After Marty returns to 1985, the name on the sign at the mall reads...

Spoiler!

Lone Pine Mall. My dad never noticed!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2022, 12:13 PM   #4708
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also an all time favorite of mine. Do you have this little collectible? I have it on my coffee table, very cool.

https://www.backtothefuture.com/bonu...ory-2015/index
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:38 PM   #4709
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The new Beavis and Butthead movie is exactly what I needed in my life right now.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 10:56 AM   #4710
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The new Beavis and Butthead movie is exactly what I needed in my life right now.
I don't know what I was expecting, but I checked it out last night and wow, I laughed harder than I have at any movie in a looong time. "Highly" recommended!
aaronck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:55 PM   #4711
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Also an all time favorite of mine. Do you have this little collectible? I have it on my coffee table, very cool.

https://www.backtothefuture.com/bonu...ory-2015/index
Nah, I have far too many coffee table books as-is...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:31 PM   #4712
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Dr. Strange made me realize that I apparently have a repressed red witch fetish.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 03:33 PM   #4713
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The new Dr. Strange made me realize that I apparently have a repressed red witch fetish.
I know a girl who looks like Elizabeth Olsen and identifies as a witch.

Needless to say I had a pretty legit crush on her for a while.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:13 PM   #4714
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, Top Gun was good fun.

Well done.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:54 AM   #4715
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lightyear was rather disappointing. When the most charismatic character in the film is the robot cat, keeping the audience engaged is going to be an uphill battle
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:33 AM   #4716
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I know a girl who looks like Elizabeth Olsen and identifies as a witch.

Needless to say I had a pretty legit crush on her for a while.
Until she turned you into a newt?
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 09:34 AM   #4717
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Last Duel is a really good watch from Ridley Scott. The re-telling of a story from 3 perspectives of the leads before the concluding duel was well done and you can see how each character could view all of the events through their different lens.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:38 AM   #4718
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Lightyear was rather disappointing. When the most charismatic character in the film is the robot cat, keeping the audience engaged is going to be an uphill battle
Not exactly sure who was asking for that film. Seems like Pixar peaked last decade and hasn't been able to recapture the magic. Maybe they have been replaced by superhero movies or maybe people have moved on from animated movies.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:46 AM   #4719
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

finally got around to watching Dr. Strange.

Enjoyed it for what it was - though I do agree it was missing something? Can't put my finger on it either... maybe the pacing?

The Scarlett Witch transformation reminded me a bit of the Dark Phoenix story arc...I think if people didn't see the Disney series, they would have been a little confused. I was also surprised see she never mentioned Vision? Wouldn't the multiverse have other versions of him too?

Anyways, its an interest path that Marvel is going down with Dr.Strange...I enjoyed his origin story quite a bit more though
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:57 AM   #4720
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The Last Duel is a really good watch from Ridley Scott. The re-telling of a story from 3 perspectives of the leads before the concluding duel was well done and you can see how each character could view all of the events through their different lens.
We just watched this last night and I have to concur. We really enjoyed it, the style and the concept of understanding the same sequence of events from 3 different perspectives was really interesting.

Adam Driver? Cant go wrong. Ben Affleck being a giant jackass? It was like he was born to play the role.

Highly recommend.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote